User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/16/2010 11:24:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KVegasAK] [#1]
Originally Posted By Walsh:
Originally Posted By ander254:
Originally Posted By KVegasAK:
I hope they get rid of that stupid thing about you can't carry your gun where admission is charged.  Hell when I come out of the movie theater at midnight I like having my gun.   I carry it with me anyway regardless of what the law says but it would be nice to be legal.

No offense but that is not the message we want to portray. At that point you are no better than the criminals. I agree it is a stupid law but it is still the current law.

I was in a somewhat heated argument with a guy 30 feet from me in a movie theater when a guy laughed at Nazis killing Jews and made a few truly despicable comment during "Inglorious Basterds". Of about 30 people in the theater not one said a word. So don't count on John Q. Public to have your back. It was a 10 PM movie and I left the movie at the end to try to avoid a conflict. And if anyone reading this thinks that was dumb and cowardly then you shouldn't have a carry permit.

There were two couples and I heard, "There he is, wait here" and I was armed at my car in under 5 seconds as they approached me. I don't think they saw the gun in my holster. But they did see me looking right at them, being bigger than both of them, and said something like, "Forget it...it's not worth it", after I asked, "Are we going to have a problem here?"

I don't like walking to my car either. But I sure as shit don't want ANYONE opening fire in a movie theater. Want to lose the right to carry? Have a 5 year old shot to death by accident. Australia lost their gun rights when a guy shot-up an amusement park.

This is all moot though. There is no way they are going to remove the assembly prohibition. Why? "Know your target and what's beyond it". If I'm at an assembly what's beyond my target is a wall of innocent people and their spine grows to 1 foot wide when I miss. There is a paucity of formal training behind many with carry permits. Now if they wish to begin to qualify different types of assemblies, that's fine. But it's way down the list. And if you are in a bad area seeing a movie the first question is why you were there. The second question is for you to decide..."Do I carry a weapon and leave if there is a problem?" You check your pride at the door when you carry a weapon and then you engage your brain. Anything different could get you killed.

Walsh
Ok where to start? I am 37 years old.  I have been going to the movies by myself since I was proably 14.  Never in those 23 years have I ever had an argument with a single person in a movie theater.  Now I will admit I am 270lbs of muscle.  So not many people wanna f**k with me anyway.  But I wasn't always that big and I was damn skinny at one time.  It sounds like to me you do not know how to conduct yourself in a mature way in a public setting.  If you did then you would not be having arguments in movie theaters in front of tons of other people.    

Ok second.  The logic you just used against carrying in a theater is the same stupid logic that Sarah Brady and her ilk use against CCW anyway.  Have you ever been in a Wal-Mart on a Saturday or Sunday affternoon?  There are literally hundreds of people in there.  Far more people than you will find in a movie theater.  So based on your logic nobody should be able to carry in Wal-Mart because an innocent bystander may get hit by a stray bullet.  The fact is that any public place is an "assembly".  Wal-Mart could start charging $1 dollar admission to their stores tomorrow.  Would you then think none of us CCW holders should somehow then be allowed to carry in Wal-Mart?  That is the dumbest thing on earth.  

Now let me further show how stupid your point was.  You talk about a "5 year old" being shot to death by a stray bullet.  Let me ask you this?  Are there more "5 year olds" in Wal-Mart or in a movie theater showing an R-rated movie?  Or hell even in a theater anytime showing any movie?  Well there is MORE chance of shooting a child in a Wal-Mart.  So based on Mr. Walsh logic we need to now prevent CCW holders from carrying in a Wal-Mart.  Hell what about a McDonalds on Saturday?  Ok how about this.  We can't carry in a McDonalds on Saturday but we can Monday-Friday.  Would that suit you.  So no more carrying in Wal-Mart.  Guess I will have to leave my gun in the car when I stop by Wal-Mart at midnight when I get off from work.  Too bad for all of us.  

Oh wait a minute.  I guess we can't carry in Chuck E Cheese either.  Why don't we just change the CCW law to say that a CCW holder may not carry his weapon in any place that an innocent bystander may get hit by a bullet if a shootout occurs.  That should solve everything shouldn't it Mr. Walsh?  

Oh and one other thing.  What does a person who has passed a background check, training,  and has a permit to carry a gun concealed on his/her person have to do with a lunatic who took a machine gun and killed a bunch of people in Australia.  That is about as dumb and pointless a comparison as I have ever seen.   At least try and come up with a specific case that pertains to a CCW holder acdidently shooting someone in a theater, etc during an argument or something.  Thats apples and oranges.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 1:07:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Walsh] [#2]
Originally Posted By KVegasAK:It sounds like to me you do not know how to conduct yourself in a mature way in a public setting.

Well I guess we are even, because I don't give a fuck that you are 270 pounds AND I don't care what you think about how I conduct myself in a public setting. When someone yelled out, after being boisterous and laughing his ass off as they machine gunned Jews in the movie, "that's great...that's what they get for being fucking Jews..HAHAHAAHAHA", I told him his comment sucked and the rest of us came there to watch a movie and not listen to him. And he shut up for the rest of the movie. And you know what, when he made it I didn't know if there were 4,6,8, or 10 of them or if he was "320 pounds of muscle" either. It was dark and they came in late from the other side.

So based on your logic nobody should be able to carry in Wal-Mart because an innocent bystander may get hit by a stray bullet.

I'd discuss all the other points but guess what bin you are in?...HINT: It starts with an "A", and life is too short.

No....my argument doesn't even approach drawing that conclusion about Wal-mart that YOU raised. . See what I mean about trying to discuss this with people in your bin? You don't do this often (debate) do you? You just created what's called strawman arguments. Now YOU can defend them as I didn't make them. And the density of a full movie theater is most often more than a Walmart or any store. And the location of the people as they are staggered almost assures a miss, and in darkness, will kill one of them.  

Oh, and you might want to reconsider that you mentioned "training". No training is required in NC to carry a weapon. I suspect you don't have any from what you wrote.

Don't bother trying again....I'm really not interested.

Walsh

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh wait a minute. I guess we can't carry in Chuck E Cheese either

Since many of them serve beer, you are probably right.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I hope they get rid of that stupid thing about you can't carry your gun where admission is charged.  Hell when I come out of the movie theater at midnight I like having my gun.   I carry it with me anyway regardless of what the law says but it would be nice to be legal.

No offense but that is not the message we want to portray. At that point you are no better than the criminals. I agree it is a stupid law but it is still the current law.

I was in a somewhat heated argument with a guy 30 feet from me in a movie theater when a guy laughed at Nazis killing Jews and made a few truly despicable comment during "Inglorious Basterds". Of about 30 people in the theater not one said a word. So don't count on John Q. Public to have your back. It was a 10 PM movie and I left the movie at the end to try to avoid a conflict. And if anyone reading this thinks that was dumb and cowardly then you shouldn't have a carry permit.

There were two couples and I heard, "There he is, wait here" and I was armed at my car in under 5 seconds as they approached me. I don't think they saw the gun in my holster. But they did see me looking right at them, being bigger than both of them, and said something like, "Forget it...it's not worth it", after I asked, "Are we going to have a problem here?"

I don't like walking to my car either. But I sure as shit don't want ANYONE opening fire in a movie theater. Want to lose the right to carry? Have a 5 year old shot to death by accident. Australia lost their gun rights when a guy shot-up an amusement park.

This is all moot though. There is no way they are going to remove the assembly prohibition. Why? "Know your target and what's beyond it". If I'm at an assembly what's beyond my target is a wall of innocent people and their spine grows to 1 foot wide when I miss. There is a paucity of formal training behind many with carry permits. Now if they wish to begin to qualify different types of assemblies, that's fine. But it's way down the list. And if you are in a bad area seeing a movie the first question is why you were there. The second question is for you to decide..."Do I carry a weapon and leave if there is a problem?" You check your pride at the door when you carry a weapon and then you engage your brain. Anything different could get you killed.

Walsh

Yeah, thats one hell of a post.  If you want to go around policing peoples comments in public you should not be carrying.  And as far as your argument for the assembly carry, its weak as hell.  If we want to advance our carry rights we should not be validating the anti's own argumenst and shooting ourselves in the foot.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Walsh

Sounds more like you are the one that does't know how to conduct yourself in public.  Its one thing to need a firearm to defend yourself against some crackhead, but totally different to just use your gun as a way to have the "bigger stick" in an arguement
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#6]
this is not the general disscussion forum
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#7]
this is not the general disscussion forum
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top