Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/3/2010 2:58:22 PM EDT
After the shift in power in the state house, I can only see good things for us here in NC

1) Castle Doctrine
2) Restaurant Carry
3) Parking lot bill
4) Pistol permit repeal

What else do you think has a chance?
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 3:00:35 PM EDT
[#1]
You need a permit to own a pistol down there?
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 3:33:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MFP_4073] [#2]
Originally Posted By Garandboy:

You need a permit (issued by your local sheriff) to lawfully PURCHASE a handgun.  We are 'Shall Issue' so if you meet the requirements you can not be denied for extraneous / political reasons.

An alternative to that is a valid NC CHL.

There is no registration.  So if you moved here with 100 handguns nothing would be required.

Link Posted: 11/3/2010 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#3]
crossbow permit repeal
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:

You need a permit (issued by your local sheriff) to lawfully PURCHASE a handgun.  We are 'Shall Issue' so if you meet the requirements you can not be denied for extraneous / political reasons.

There is no registration.  So if you moved here with 100 handguns nothing would be required.

Wow, I didn't know that. Is it a permit for each gun purchase or just a permit for as many as you want?

We were planning to move to NC next year and I'm trying to get a feel for the gun laws down there. In the county I live in now, it's over $300 to get a permit to own (6 month wait) and you need to buy a purchase order for each handgun you plan to buy.

Link Posted: 11/3/2010 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Wow, I didn't know that. Is it a permit for each gun purchase or just a permit for as many as you want?

We were planning to move to NC next year and I'm trying to get a feel for the gun laws down there. In the county I live in now, it's over $300 to get a permit to own (6 month wait) and you need to buy a purchase order for each handgun you plan to buy.

Unless you have a CCH permit, you'll need a permit from your local sheriff for each handgun you purchase.  

Permit price is $5.00 each in my county.  Wait time is about 3-5 business days while the background check is done.

Since my wife and I got our CCH permits some years ago we've gotten into trouble at our local gunshops on several occasions.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#6]
It is actually a permit for each handgun you ACQUIRE... if you are given one by your dad you are supposed to have a permit.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#7]

You need a permit (issued by your local sheriff) to lawfully PURCHASE a handgun. We are 'Shall Issue' so if you meet the requirements you can not be denied for extraneous / political reasons.

There is no registration. So if you moved here with 100 handguns nothing would be required.

4073's answer is a bit off.

NC statutes require that anyone receiving a pistol have a pistol purchase permit issued by the sheriff of the county they reside in (UNLESS the person has a valid NC CHL which is a recent change - last 5 years if IRRC).  There are no excepts (other than the CHL exception).  Buy, gift, inherit, whatever.

The purpose of the pistol purchase permit was originally to allow sheriffs to deny the possession of handguns to "undesirables" (blacks, Republicans, union agitators, etc.) back in Jim Crow days.  Mustn't have the "undesirables" put up a fight when the sheriff's posse of good stalwart Democratic white men (who just happen to be the local KKK klavern) show up to demonstrate the errors of the undesirables" ways with a good cross-burning / lynching!  

There is no uniform basis for the issuance of a pistol purchase permit.  Sheriffs can (and will) deny pistol purchase permits for a variety of reasons.  A local FFL and state-certified CHL trainer (and ATF snitch) was routinely denied one (before the law changed) because he embarrassed Sheriff Butler (Cumberland County) when it turned out that the deputy in charge of the evidence locker had "collected" a number of high-end collector firearms (from the evidence locker) and was selling them.  Reason for denial?  Bad moral character.

HOWEVER.  We are a "shall issue" CHL state.  So, if you pass the course, are not a prohibited person, and apply - you will get a CHL.  With your CHL, you never need a pistol purchase permit.

The only place that requires handgun registration is Durham.  It's on the books but people tell me Durham doesn't enforce it.  I have a feeling it was originally passed for the same reason Saturday Night Specials are called Saturday Night Specials (the 1920's perception that drunk blacks shot it out on Saturday night with cheap handguns.... that never happens, does it?).

Each county is different about how they do pistol purchase permits.  In Cumberland County, after you fill out the application and get your character references (oh yes), when its approved (NICS check and Sheriff's "double secret probation" list), you can buy up to 5 at $5 each and they are good for 5 years.  CCSD has you put a thumbprint on the back ....  

When you buy a gun you turn it over to the seller (the law isn't clear on that - FFLs do take them, FTF it varies since the statute does not say what the seller is supposed to do with it).

Link Posted: 11/3/2010 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ODA_564:

You need a permit (issued by your local sheriff) to lawfully PURCHASE a handgun. We are 'Shall Issue' so if you meet the requirements you can not be denied for extraneous / political reasons.

There is no registration. So if you moved here with 100 handguns nothing would be required.

4073's answer is a bit off.

NC statutes require that anyone receiving a pistol have a pistol purchase permit issued by the sheriff of the county they reside in (UNLESS the person has a valid NC CHL which is a recent change - last 5 years if IRRC).  There are no excepts (other than the CHL exception).  Buy, gift, inherit, whatever.

The purpose of the pistol purchase permit was originally to allow sheriffs to deny the possession of handguns to "undesirables" (blacks, Republicans, union agitators, etc.) back in Jim Crow days.  Mustn't have the "undesirables" put up a fight when the sheriff's posse of good stalwart Democratic white men (who just happen to be the local KKK klavern) show up to demonstrate the errors of the undesirables" ways with a good cross-burning / lynching!  

There is no uniform basis for the issuance of a pistol purchase permit.  Sheriffs can (and will) deny pistol purchase permits for a variety of reasons.  A local FFL and state-certified CHL trainer (and ATF snitch) was routinely denied one (before the law changed) because he embarrassed Sheriff Butler (Cumberland County) when it turned out that the deputy in charge of the evidence locker had "collected" a number of high-end collector firearms (from the evidence locker) and was selling them.  Reason for denial?  Bad moral character.

HOWEVER.  We are a "shall issue" CHL state.  So, if you pass the course, are not a prohibited person, and apply - you will get a CHL.  With your CHL, you never need a pistol purchase permit.

The only place that requires handgun registration is Durham.  It's on the books but people tell me Durham doesn't enforce it.  I have a feeling it was originally passed for the same reason Saturday Night Specials are called Saturday Night Specials (the 1920's perception that drunk blacks shot it out on Saturday night with cheap handguns.... that never happens, does it?).

Each county is different about how they do pistol purchase permits.  In Cumberland County, after you fill out the application and get your character references (oh yes), when its approved (NICS check and Sheriff's "double secret probation" list), you can buy up to 5 at $5 each and they are good for 5 years.  CCSD has you put a thumbprint on the back ....  

When you buy a gun you turn it over to the seller (the law isn't clear on that - FFLs do take them, FTF it varies since the statute does not say what the seller is supposed to do with it).

Wow, thanks for the update. I may rethink NC now. How expensive is the CHL class? And what county is Greenville and is it bad for getting a permit? I know some counties the any Class III stuff can be a real pain to get, or so I heard.

Link Posted: 11/3/2010 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I dunno about Greenville/Pitt County is on Getting Purchase permits or NFA stuff.

But the CHL isn't to bad to gett average class costs $90 to $125 and the permit is $90

Jason
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks for providing the history lesson.  

Greenville NC is in Pitt County.

Below is a link to their Sheriff's Office with their policy.

http://www.pittso.com/administration/admin_division.htm

The CHL will cost around $250 and be valid for 5 years- it breaks down like this: $10 for fingerprinting, $90 for sheriff's fees and most trainers charge $150 or so but you have to shop around for that info.  You could go to any state licensed provider and their are a ton to choose from.  That class is usually a one day kind of affair.

It sound like a hassle but they issue them all the time and it's not that big of a deal.

Link Posted: 11/3/2010 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#11]
It sounds like mini NY except for the CHL part. I guess I thought it would be more along the lines of PA as far as the hand guns are concerned. I don't like the different rules from county to county either.

I plan to visit the area in the next month or so, I'll see if I can find a good gun store and look into class III issues. That WILL be a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Come to SC- you can buy all the handguns you want with no stupid permits.  CWP is shall issue too although there are some dumb restrictions on it (such as restaurants that serve alcohol).  Most places are class III friendly too.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
Come to SC- you can buy all the handguns you want with no stupid permits.  CWP is shall issue too although there are some dumb restrictions on it (such as restaurants that serve alcohol).  Most places are class III friendly too.

+1
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#14]
...and the point of this thread was that hopefully we can get rid of all this stupid shit here in NC.  Finally.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By snare:
...and the point of this thread was that hopefully we can get rid of all this stupid shit here in NC.  Finally.

Bigtime agreement here.

I would love for the new legislators to ease the CHL restrictions and pass a castle doctrine.

Link Posted: 11/3/2010 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Yep.  They've got a long list of "screw the people and smile while you're doing it" to get rid of.  Hopefully this momentum will continue all the way to Bev's office next time too.

Link Posted: 11/3/2010 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I hope they get rid of that stupid thing about you can't carry your gun where admission is charged.  Hell when I come out of the movie theater at midnight I like having my gun.   I carry it with me anyway regardless of what the law says but it would be nice to be legal.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By KVegasAK:
I hope they get rid of that stupid thing about you can't carry your gun where admission is charged.  Hell when I come out of the movie theater at midnight I like having my gun.   I carry it with me anyway regardless of what the law says but it would be nice to be legal.

No offense but that is not the message we want to portray. At that point you are no better than the criminals. I agree it is a stupid law but it is still the current law.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By mekender:
After the shift in power in the state house, I can only see good things for us here in NC

1) Castle Doctrine
2) Restaurant Carry
3) Parking lot bill
4) Pistol permit repeal

What is the "parking lot bill"??
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 1:15:01 AM EDT
[#20]
It sounds like mini NY except for the CHL part. I guess I thought it would be more along the lines of PA as far as the hand guns are concerned. I don't like the different rules from county to county either.

I plan to visit the area in the next month or so, I'll see if I can find a good gun store and look into class III issues. That WILL be a deal breaker.

As a former NY'er, trust me, it's nothing like NY.  Regarding purchase permit.  You can get up to five per application and they are good for five years(I think).  I handed in my application to the local sheriff and the very next morning they were ready for pick up.  For the CCW, you need to take a CCW class. It's about 8hrs long.  But, if you do not let your CCW expire, you never have to retake the class.  I took the class and handing in my application three weeks ago.  They say it takes up to 90 days.  We shall see how long it takes.

In the meantime, you CAN open carry(NO CCW).  You can also carry in your car, as long as it's not concealed(NO CCW).  

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By dbuster:

1) Castle Doctrine
2) Restaurant Carry
3) Parking lot bill
4) Pistol permit repeal

Laws similar to the one in FL and a few other states that say that employers cannot prohibit you from keeping a gun in your car unless the facility has a secure parking area
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 11:48:46 PM EDT
[#22]

1) Castle Doctrine
2) Restaurant Carry
3) Parking lot bill
4) Pistol permit repeal

Laws similar to the one in FL and a few other states that say that employers cannot prohibit you from keeping a gun in your car unless the facility has a secure parking area

hell, i walk into the office with a hand gun on my belt, an AR on my shoulder and an ammo box in either hand, and all i get is - going shooting today ?
i would like to see the restrictions on NFA items be lifted, with a shall issue order to all local sherrifs to sign form 1&4's for anyone who meets the federal requirments - i won't hold my breath, but it sure would be nice .....

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 11:53:53 PM EDT
[#23]
i would like to see the restrictions on NFA items be lifted, with a shall issue order to all local sherrifs to sign form 1&4's for anyone who meets the federal requirments

I am guessing that will have to wait for a court challenge.
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 12:28:31 AM EDT
[#24]
If you want  to lump me with murderers, robbers, rapists, etc then that is fine.  But lets be real.  If your wearing a shoulder holster and need to run in the bank real quick and make a deposit or whatever your going to go to all the trouble of removing your jacket, then removing your holster just for something that is gonna take 5 minutes?  I doubt it.  Maybe you would but most wouldn't.  How many of us carried before the CCW law even existed?  I know I did.  I would a whole lot rather be explaining why I broke a misdeameanor than some piece of trash explaining why I'm dead.  Better to be tryed by 12 than carried by 6.   .
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#25]
i would like to see the restrictions on NFA items be lifted, with a shall issue order to all local sherrifs to sign form 1&4's for anyone who meets the federal requirments

I am guessing that will have to wait for a court challenge.

in NC when it comes to NFA, some are more equel

Link Posted: 11/5/2010 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#26]
If you want  to lump me with murderers, robbers, rapists  FELONY , etc then that is fine.  But lets be real.  If your wearing a shoulder holster and need to run in the bank real quick and make a deposit or whatever your going to go to all the trouble of removing your jacket, then removing your holster just for something that is gonna take 5 minutes?  I doubt it.  Maybe you would but most wouldn't.  How many of us carried before the CCW law even existed?  I know I did.  I would a whole lot rather be explaining why I broke a misdeameanor  Misdemeanor, big differencethan some piece of trash explaining why I'm dead.  Better to be tryed by 12 than carried by 6.   .

Just take the gun out of the holster and leave it in the car. No law against carrying a concealed holster.
But I dont think a public forum that the world can see is where I would announce that I am breaking the law.

Link Posted: 11/5/2010 11:30:35 AM EDT
[#27]
I do see your issue if wearing a shoulder harness. I dont like unnecessarily  removing the gun from the holster since the odds great increase for an accidental discharge. That's what the drive thru is for or an ATM.
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 12:21:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By nooneimportant:

If you want to lump me with murderers, robbers, rapists FELONY , etc then that is fine. But lets be real. If your wearing a shoulder holster and need to run in the bank real quick and make a deposit or whatever your going to go to all the trouble of removing your jacket, then removing your holster just for something that is gonna take 5 minutes? I doubt it. Maybe you would but most wouldn't. How many of us carried before the CCW law even existed? I know I did. I would a whole lot rather be explaining why I broke a misdeameanor Misdemeanor, big differencethan some piece of trash explaining why I'm dead. Better to be tryed by 12 than carried by 6. .

Just take the gun out of the holster and leave it in the car. No law against carrying a concealed holster.

But I dont think a public forum that the world can see is where I would announce that I am breaking the law.

If I remember correctly, carrying into a prohibit area is a felony under NC law IF you have a CHL (unpermitted CCW is a misdemeanor).  Because you are spossed to know better.

Link Posted: 11/5/2010 7:50:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MFP_4073] [#29]
Originally Posted By ODA_564:

Originally Posted By nooneimportant:
If you want to lump me with murderers, robbers, rapists FELONY , etc then that is fine. But lets be real. If your wearing a shoulder holster and need to run in the bank real quick and make a deposit or whatever your going to go to all the trouble of removing your jacket, then removing your holster just for something that is gonna take 5 minutes? I doubt it. Maybe you would but most wouldn't. How many of us carried before the CCW law even existed? I know I did. I would a whole lot rather be explaining why I broke a misdeameanor Misdemeanor, big differencethan some piece of trash explaining why I'm dead. Better to be tryed by 12 than carried by 6. .

If I remember correctly, carrying into a prohibit area is a felony under NC law IF you have a CHL (unpermitted CCW is a misdemeanor).  Because you are spossed to know better.

It is not a felony.

Link Posted: 11/5/2010 8:47:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tranefan] [#30]
I really hope the Castle Doctrine will be near the top of the agenda.
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 8:53:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CRC] [#31]
Add collectors to the machine gun law

Repeal the ban on kids possessing handgun ammunition
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By sinsir:

1) Castle Doctrine
2) Restaurant Carry
3) Parking lot bill
4) Pistol permit repeal

hell, i walk into the office with a hand gun on my belt, an AR on my shoulder and an ammo box in either hand, and all i get is - going shooting today ?
i would like to see the restrictions on NFA items be lifted, with a shall issue order to all local sherrifs to sign form 1&4's for anyone who meets the federal requirments - i won't hold my breath, but it sure would be nice .....

They can,t even follow the CCW law no way would they follow that
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeh I probably shouldn't tell about all the times I went 150+ mph on my motorcycle either.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Now that Republicans have both the house and senate how about doing away with the concealed carry permit and adopt a state constitution law like Vermont, Alaska, and Arizona.

CD
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
Now that Republicans have both the house and senate how about doing away with the concealed carry permit and adopt a state constitution law like Vermont, Alaska, and Arizona.

CD

The thing about that direction, is that we will have recropricity with only Alaska and Arizona.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Not if you can still get a CCW for when traveling to other states like Alaska.  But I see your point.

CD
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#37]
I hope they make it so you can buy machine guns with a trust, I'd put my paperwork in tomorrow
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 4:27:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By tranefan:

Yes, we need it badly.  Apparently it's been languishing in some finance committee or somesuch.

We all need to press our reps to get it passed.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:53:48 AM EDT
[#39]
My 2 biggest -

Castle Doctrine and being able to carry in a decent restaurant.

Pisses me off that I can't legally take my wife and kids to Mi Pueblo and still be able to protect them.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 2:06:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: snare] [#40]
Originally Posted By Coltman77:

Yes, we need it badly.  Apparently it's been languishing in some finance committee or somesuch.

This is directly due to two Democrats, one being the (former!) NC House Majority Leader Hugh Holliman and the other being Deborah Ross.

Holliman, thankfully, got his ass booted out altogether but Ross remains.

All yall who are in her district should definitely pressure her about passage of the Castle Doctrine.  I doubt her actions will change (she's an ACLU lawyer), but this is our chance.  She needs to know what her constituents think.

The Castle Doctrine (bill # S928) passes the state senate, but has always been sent to committee in the house.  I think it has an EXCELLENT chance, but now is NOT the time to rest on our laurels and think it's a done deal.  Now is the time to kick our own asses into high gear.

Write, call and/or visit your state representative and senator. Find them HERE!

In my opinion we need:

1) Castle Doctrine
2) Repeal of: restaurant, parade/public event and event charging admission restrictions.
3) Repeal of "purchase permits".
4) Constitutional style carry, with optional permit that allows for reciprocity
5) NC Firearms Freedom Act type legislation

ETA:

And sensible knife laws that ALLOW carry of a fixed blade and removal of the 1800s era language.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#41]

This is directly due to two Democrats, one being the (former!) NC House Majority Leader Hugh Holliman and the other being Deborah Ross.

All yall who are in her district should definitely pressure her about passage of the Castle Doctrine.  I doubt her actions will change (she's an ACLU lawyer), but this is our chance.  She needs to know what her constituents think.

The Castle Doctrine (bill # S928) passes the state senate, but has always been sent to committee in the house.  I think it has an EXCELLENT chance, but now is NOT the time to rest on our laurels and think it's a done deal.  Now is the time to kick our own asses into high gear.

In my opinion we need:

1) Castle Doctrine
2) Repeal of: restaurant, parade/public event and event charging admission restrictions.

ETA:

And sensible knife laws that ALLOW carry of a fixed blade and removal of the 1800s era language.

Very fine post, sir.    

For the first time in many, many years, the Republicans have control of the N.C. legislature (which is a little curious opposite our state's presidential preferences  ... If memory serves, N.C. went to Reagan in '80 and '84, to Bush Sr. in '88 and '92, to Dole in '96 and to Bush II both presidential elections; N. Carolinians only broke that trend in the '08 election, wherein Obama barely squeaked by McCain).  

In any case, we need to take advantage of it.  Now.  To that end, it'd be GREAT to see more political activism in this forum.

I'd like to suggest to the moderaters that we have a sticky thread,  with contact info.  for everyone's  rep. and the current status of various laws in both NC and SC.

BTW, several months ago I emailed Deborah Ross re: Castle Doctrine,  even though I'm not in her district.  

She/her proxy did reply (which surprised me a bit), but it was just a b.s./generic answer, as one might expect.

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#42]

In my opinion we need:

1) Castle Doctrine

ETA:

Very fine post, sir.    

For the first time in many, many years, the Republicans have control of the N.C. legislature (which is a little curious opposite our state's presidential preferences  ... If memory serves, N.C. went to Reagan in '80 and '84, to Bush Sr. in '88 and '92, to Dole in '96 and to Bush II both presidential elections; N. Carolinians only broke that trend in the '08 election, wherein Obama barely squeaked by McCain).  

In any case, we need to take advantage of it.  Now.  To that end, it'd be GREAT to see more political activism in this forum.

I'd like to suggest to the moderaters that we have a sticky thread,  with contact info.  for everyone's  rep. and the current status of various laws in both NC and SC.

BTW, several months ago I emailed Deborah Ross re: Castle Doctrine,  even though I'm not in her district.  

She/her proxy did reply (which surprised me a bit), but it was just a b.s./generic answer, as one might expect.

Republicatins haven't had control of the NC legislature since like 1884.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#43]
1898 to be exact.  112 years.

I thought that was amazing until I heard about Alabama.....it had been 136 years there.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#44]
1898 to be exact.  112 years.

I thought that was amazing until I heard about Alabama.....it had been 136 years there.

"Dixiecrats"

So many old timers (like many in my family) are too hung up on the name "democrat" and don't realize that democrats today are not the same democrats that founded the CSA.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Im in Greenville and its no problem.

Got 2 or 5 permits at a time but never used them. Just use my chp so the permits are just siting on my shelf.

Link Posted: 11/11/2010 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Thoth8:
Im in Greenville and its no problem.
Got 2 or 5 permits at a time but never used them. Just use my chp so the permits are just siting on my shelf.

New Sheriff over there now, wonder how he'll be?
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 11:57:30 PM EDT
[#47]

Having grown up in NYC and living in New Germany for 20 years before moving here in 2003, it's not at all like NY. In the three times I was required, by law, to notify a LEO I was carrying a handgun only one asked "where you got it?", and I said at 2 o'clock on my belt. He went back to calling in that the deer I had hit was dead. Of the two other times they said "thanks for letting me know".

Comparing this to NJ, it is gun heaven.
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By user4574:

Yep.  They've got a long list of "screw the people and smile while you're doing it" to get rid of.  Hopefully this momentum will continue all the way to Bev's office next time too.

Jim Black gave us years of crap that hopefully will be undone within 2 years. Let's hope they do it logically so they don't fear it as an election issue in 2012. And we need to mobilize and write to all of them.

Walsh
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 12:20:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ander254:

No offense but that is not the message we want to portray. At that point you are no better than the criminals. I agree it is a stupid law but it is still the current law.

I was in a somewhat heated argument with a guy 30 feet from me in a movie theater when a guy laughed at Nazis killing Jews and made a few truly despicable comment during "Inglorious Basterds". Of about 30 people in the theater not one said a word. So don't count on John Q. Public to have your back. It was a 10 PM movie and I left the movie at the end to try to avoid a conflict. And if anyone reading this thinks that was dumb and cowardly then you shouldn't have a carry permit.

There were two couples and I heard, "There he is, wait here" and I was armed at my car in under 5 seconds as they approached me. I don't think they saw the gun in my holster. But they did see me looking right at them, being bigger than both of them, and said something like, "Forget it...it's not worth it", after I asked, "Are we going to have a problem here?"

I don't like walking to my car either. But I sure as shit don't want ANYONE opening fire in a movie theater. Want to lose the right to carry? Have a 5 year old shot to death by accident. Australia lost their gun rights when a guy shot-up an amusement park.

This is all moot though. There is no way they are going to remove the assembly prohibition. Why? "Know your target and what's beyond it". If I'm at an assembly what's beyond my target is a wall of innocent people and their spine grows to 1 foot wide when I miss. There is a paucity of formal training behind many with carry permits. Now if they wish to begin to qualify different types of assemblies, that's fine. But it's way down the list. And if you are in a bad area seeing a movie the first question is why you were there. The second question is for you to decide..."Do I carry a weapon and leave if there is a problem?" You check your pride at the door when you carry a weapon and then you engage your brain. Anything different could get you killed.

Walsh
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 12:38:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Walsh] [#50]
Originally Posted By palmer:I took the class and handing in my application three weeks ago.  They say it takes up to 90 days.  We shall see how long it takes.

If you look-up DefensiveConceptsNC you'll see some scheduled classes for the next year.

DefensiveConseptsNC

I have no affiliation with Chris, Paul, or Steve, but I can guarantee everyone that if you have not taken a formal class in how to carry a weapon, and just as importantly how they teach you to think, that after your first one you will realize how great a portion the concept of luck played in your life in a shootout without proper training. There are times I think that some sort or training should be required to carry a weapon.

I have taken three classes with them and along with some others here, I can highly recommend them. If they are not located near you, anyone who is carrying a weapon for the first time is in need of training somewhere. The class to obtain a carry permit is NOT a substitute for training, nor is shooting regularly at bullseye targets.  It really is that simple. Attempting to develope a game plan in split seconds in a game you have never played, and against an opponent who has lived on the field/court, is a really good way to lose your life and maybe those of your family.

Walsh  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top