Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2024 10:15:25 PM EDT
Good evening gents,

I recently got married and my wife took a job at Northside. The commute for her just ain’t going to be sustainable long term driving from Temple to Northside 3x/week.  As much as we love Carroll County, we need to move in a little closer for her sake. I work off of Fulton Industrial, so my commute from the Powder Springs area won’t change too much. With all of that being said, can y’all give me the good/bad/ugly of that area?
Rules being rules, here’s my ugly mug along with the brains of the operation.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I never lived there, but when I was in Douglasville, I would drive through there every day during my commute.  Seemed to be a nice enough area.  Well outside the Perimeter, so crime shouldn't be a huge issue.  Smallish city lots in town, acre-plus lots outside of town.  Traffic wasn't too bad.  Johnny's BBQ on Marietta Street was okay.  

The further east of town you look, the closer you are to the city, which may or may not factor into your decision.  Other than that, I don't have anything good or bad to say about it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 3:31:19 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as crime, it is not the worst area of Cobb County. Go as far north as you can afford. North of Macland Rd is good, north of Dallas Hwy is better. Stay away from anything off Hopkins Rd or Macedonia Rd, and far away from the Horseshoe Bend area. The closer you get to Austell and Mableton, generally the worse it gets. Not rifle in the car bad, but use common sense and don't be there after midnight kinda bad.

Traffic is heavy (not terrible) going east/south in the morning and west/north in the evening. Currently they're widening Macland Rd which may or may not help.

Governor's Gun Club on 278 is a decent indoor 25yd range (memberships available but anyone can shoot there). Relatively close to Kennesaw Mountain if you like hiking and trails, and there are some pretty good parks here and there.

If schools are a factor I would look at Hillgrove or Harrison districts, stay away from South Cobb and McEachern.

Overall it's a pretty good area. Congrats on the marriage!
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:27:18 AM EDT
[#4]
3x a week Temple to 400/285 area?  That isn't that bad and I wouldn't give up where I like to live for it.
Link Posted: Today 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Powder Springs resident since '95 here. Hopefully not for too much longer, God willing.

Good advice about living north of Macland in the post above.  

I, however,  don't live north of Macland.  Hence my what I shall write below:

Better advice about just trying to suck up the commute and stay put out in Temple.

The PS area and Cobb in general have changed A LOT in the last decade and NOT for the better, IMHO.  While the area up between Macland and Dallas Hwy is still nice, it's pretty expensive and the drive to FIB is no prize either .  And with the rate of new development happening up that way, it's only a matter of time until the same ATL rot that ate up South Cobb washes over that area, too.

If I had it to do over again, I'd trade time in the truck stuck in traffic on I-20 listening to books on tape or learning Hungarian rather than grind my teeth to a nub watching a once-quiet suburb become just another ATL trash heap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top