Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2022 2:12:23 AM EDT
I may have a chance to move to the Warsaw/Frsnkfort general area. As an AZ native, I realize it’ll be freeze my balls off cold, but I did spend a few years in the Detroit area so the weather won’t be entirely foreign to me.

What can I expect? How’s the cost of living, taxes, politics, firearms laws? Any good ranges or places to shoot precision rifles, or 2-gun/3-gun stuff? I haven’t moved out of state for over 12 years, and I was single, stupid, and rooming w/ family back then, so I’m trying to gather intel and see if I can negotiate something w/ my potential employer, but we don’t want to get caught unawares. Any info y’all can share would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Indiana is very gun friendly and looks to stay that way. Low taxes and low cost of living as well. Property values are on the uptick here just like everywhere else, but your home buying dollar will go a lot farther here than most states.

Warsaw and Frankfort are quite a ways away from each other, but there are plenty of places to shoot both public and private in both areas. There are regular USPSA, multi gun, steel challenge and long range matches that will be within an hour or so of service ou in either location.

Indiana is a great place to live.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Indiana is a great place to live. I relocated here myself five years ago and have been very happy with it. The corn/soy fields are pretty boring, but there are a lot of beautiful areas also. My club, https://wvrpc.org/, is a good place to shoot. The people here are terrific, except for the criminals who scampered to our urban areas from downtown Chicago. Indiana approaches guns like they do most other aspects of life - it's your business and they pretty much stay out of it. Concealed carry permits are free. (There's a big push to move toward constitutional carry, but a small handful of individuals seem to buggering up that effort.) Manufacturing is solid here and we need all the workers we can get, so yeah, come on up.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Indiana is a great place to live. I relocated here myself five years ago and have been very happy with it. The corn/soy fields are pretty boring, but there are a lot of beautiful areas also.
View Quote

I'll happily take mile upon mile of ag fields dotted with patches of woods, family farm homesteads, and livestock over miles of subdivisions, stores, and roads designed to get people from point to point quickly like cattle.

Different strokes for different folks but I think the fields are beautiful. They're a constant reminder of the prosperity from constant toils and hard work and it's nice to watch the progress of the crops throughout the season. You may see it as "just another corn field" but I see it as "that corn is growing well" or "he must've got that corn in early", etc.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'll happily take mile upon mile of ag fields dotted with patches of woods, family farm homesteads, and livestock over miles of subdivisions, stores, and roads designed to get people from point to point quickly like cattle.

Different strokes for different folks but I think the fields are beautiful. They're a constant reminder of the prosperity from constant toils and hard work and it's nice to watch the progress of the crops throughout the season. You may see it as "just another corn field" but I see it as "that corn is growing well" or "he must've got that corn in early", etc.
View Quote

Oh, believe me, I'm with you when it comes to loving the country and the abundance it provides. My vegetable garden is 1/8 of an acre and I'm actively planting two fruit orchards on my land, several miles from the nearest town. The soil here is some of the best anywhere. It's just that I've spent most of my life in places where the farmers had to fit their fields wherever they could between hills, so the wide-open spaces don't do much for me. (There is a place near my childhood home that everyone knows as the "Adamsville Flats", because it is the one stretch of road in the entire county that is straight for a mile.) When you get around the creeks and river bottoms here in Indiana, with the woods and winding roads, it's absolutely gorgeous.

You used the word "prosperity" - that's a good one for this area.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Cost of living in Indiana is generally reasonable.  The specific area you're looking at should not have some of the higher prices that some areas in Central IN seem to have.  As others stated, it's a great state for gun owners.  If you have young kids, it's a great state for homeschooling too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies everyone, we signed yesterday! I’ll be working out of Warsaw and Frankfort starting mid-March. We’re planning to probably do a month AirBnB to give us time to find a place. Most of the work will likely be in Warsaw so we’re hoping to find something near there, but it’s slim pickins apparently. The wife works from home full-time, so we’re looking for a 3bed/1.5-2bath with a garage (two car is ideal for tools, a few motorcycles, etc.), but not many options on the market (if any) that fit that description nearby, so we may wings up in Fort Wayne or something or just settling for something a little smaller, we’ll see. We’ve looked in Rochester but we ran into the same issue there, though the market could change in a month when we get there.

Lots of driving working between those two places, but we hope to grow the business and add to it in the near future which should cut back on having to go between each location. But it should be an adventure, and quite the change from AZ!
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Congratulations, and welcome!
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Welcome
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I grew up and worked in Northwest Indiana.Good place to live.Politcally I dont know much about Warsaw but NW Indiana is totally corrupt.I now reside in Arizona and have for 37 years now.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I grew up and worked in Northwest Indiana.Good place to live.Politcally I dont know much about Warsaw but NW Indiana is totally corrupt.I now reside in Arizona and have for 37 years now.
View Quote

Interesting. I’m a Phoenix native so I’ve spent most of my life there, but so far I’m enjoying Indiana quite a bit. Warsaw seems to be right up my alley. It’s just big enough to not be too small. At night it’s dark and quiet (and quite cool compared to PHX), and so far the flying weather has been great aside from some wind. I have no complaints so far! I still need to find the good ranges and competitions, but that’ll come with time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Interesting. I’m a Phoenix native so I’ve spent most of my life there, but so far I’m enjoying Indiana quite a bit. Warsaw seems to be right up my alley. It’s just big enough to not be too small. At night it’s dark and quiet (and quite cool compared to PHX), and so far the flying weather has been great aside from some wind. I have no complaints so far! I still need to find the good ranges and competitions, but that’ll come with time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nappanee conservation club only  30-40 minutes from warsaw.
Wensday night plate shoot in summer,
Just for fun nothing serious. But some really good pistol shooters show up.
Also do lots of sporting clays if that your thing.
200 yrd rifle range .
Fairly laid back not much of a crowd,
And only $60 year membership.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 5:18:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Welcome to IN!
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:03:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wildcat Valley Rifle and Pistol Club (https://wvrpc.org/) is probably too far from you for a regular membership, but we do have a lot of different competitions to choose from.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nappanee conservation club only  30-40 minutes from warsaw.
Wensday night plate shoot in summer,
Just for fun nothing serious. But some really good pistol shooters show up.
Also do lots of sporting clays if that your thing.
200 yrd rifle range .
Fairly laid back not much of a crowd,
And only $60 year membership.
View Quote

Nice, I’ll take a look! Apparently there’s a club on the west side of town, but NRA membership is mandatory for insurance purposes. I’m thinking that one over, but it seems like the best option for anything close.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wildcat Valley Rifle and Pistol Club (https://wvrpc.org/) is probably too far from you for a regular membership, but we do have a lot of different competitions to choose from.
View Quote

Yeah, you guys are a ways away, but I’m over in Frankfort from time to time, so if you ever have any matches going on when I’m in the area, I’ll have to extend my stay and drop in for it!

@steelworker, thanks for the welcome!
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 7:38:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies everyone, we signed yesterday! I’ll be working out of Warsaw and Frankfort starting mid-March. We’re planning to probably do a month AirBnB to give us time to find a place. Most of the work will likely be in Warsaw so we’re hoping to find something near there, but it’s slim pickins apparently. The wife works from home full-time, so we’re looking for a 3bed/1.5-2bath with a garage (two car is ideal for tools, a few motorcycles, etc.), but not many options on the market (if any) that fit that description nearby, so we may wings up in Fort Wayne or something or just settling for something a little smaller, we’ll see. We’ve looked in Rochester but we ran into the same issue there, though the market could change in a month when we get there.

Lots of driving working between those two places, but we hope to grow the business and add to it in the near future which should cut back on having to go between each location. But it should be an adventure, and quite the change from AZ!
View Quote

DM me. I am local.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top