Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2020 12:57:41 PM EDT
I am a college student majoring in aerospace engineering and I am looking for somewhere to go shooting on the weekends.  Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Do not go to Last Resort. Asshat owner wants an AWB to go through for his own personal gain.

Cavern Cove has matches every weekend, that’s a good place to go with good people.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Outdoor Ranges
• Cavern Cove is good and where I did most of my shooting when I first moved here. Gary was damn nice to me but it recently came under new ownership and I haven’t been out there since I got back to town.

Hobb’s Island Shooting Range: New place on the south side. I haven’t checked it out yet.

Swan Creek WMA Range: Need a Hunting license/WMA permit from the state to shoot there.  Closed during certain hunting seasons.

Sharon Johnston Park: Shotgun, Pistol, Rimfire only.

Range 351: I don’t know anything about this one. Looks to be a private/class oriented range. I wouldn’t mind finding out more about that one, but I that’ll probably be next year when I get back to shooting more.

Indoor Ranges:
Larry’s Pistol & Pawn: On Memorial Parkway, from what I gather it’s always pretty busy. I’ve never shot there though.

Bullet & Barrel: New place that popped up while I was in Florida. I haven’t checked it out but it looks nice. A friend has some passes to go there, I might go check it out.

• Last Resort: As was mentioned, I’d skip it.  The owner let his colors show back when universal background checks and banning private transfers was a hot topic. Haven’t been there in a few years.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Hobbs Island is expensive and it doesn't seem the owner will talk to you if you don't want to buy his most expensive membership.

I normally shoot at Swan Creek because it is free... I go during the week when it is less crowded and no one is sweeping me with their firearms. And there is less hassle with the RSOs

Bullets & Barrel is membership-based like Hobbs Island... check their websites for rates to see if it is worth it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Make a friend that lives outside the city on some land
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I like Bullet and Barrel if you don't need to go past 25 yards. Really nice range and the climate control works unlike at Larry's. You don't have to be a member to shoot there, but if you go twice a month it might be worth it for you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 3:47:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Skyline WMA Range, near Skyline AL, north of Gurley.  Up to 200 yards.

https://www.outdooralabama.com/shooting-ranges/skyline-wma-shooting-range

Hurricane Creek Range (Wren Range), about 15 miles south of Wren, AL (which is about 3 miles south of Moulton, just west of Decatur) on Hwy 33.  Stop at the Wren General Store in Wren, pretty cool place.  Range goes to 100 yards.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Does Swan Creek allow 50BMG?

I didn't see anything saying no.  But I didn't see anything saying yes either.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:08:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m not sure of any rule saying .50BMG isn’t ok. I’ve seen guys shoot Barrett’s there before.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I’m not sure of any rule saying .50BMG isn’t ok. I’ve seen guys shoot Barrett’s there before.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top