Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2019 6:05:09 PM EDT
Im planning a family vacation to Alaska, fly to Anchorage in July rent a vehicle stay there 4~5 days and then drive back to South Texas.  Were doing it mostly for the road trip back, but while in Alaska what do you guys suggest we do?  Its my wife and I, a 17 y/o son and 15 y/o daughter, we like outdoors but not alot of hiking (recently had knee surgery).

We have also considered renting an RV from cruise america and driving it back south but I have no idea on logistics for rv's like dump stations and water resupply etc.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#1]
a nice day trip would be to drive down to Seward nice little town has a  sea life center and you can take a nice flat quarter mile hike to a Exit Glacier, go on a fjord cruse see orca and humpback whales and other sea life, bears, glaciers, along the way drive through the train tunnel and swing into Whittier not much there but the scenery is awesome
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 3:47:02 AM EDT
[#2]
You might consider a visit to the Anchorage Native Heritage Center and/or the Anchorage Museum while in Anchorage.

Hop on the train and head North to Denali National Park.  A day to ride up, a day riding on a bus inside the park, and a day riding the train back to ANC.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome, just needed a few days worth of activities while there, thanks for the suggestions!
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Im planning a family vacation to Alaska, fly to Anchorage in July rent a vehicle stay there 4~5 days and then drive back to South Texas.  Were doing it mostly for the road trip back, but while in Alaska what do you guys suggest we do?  Its my wife and I, a 17 y/o son and 15 y/o daughter, we like outdoors but not alot of hiking (recently had knee surgery).

We have also considered renting an RV from cruise america and driving it back south but I have no idea on logistics for rv's like dump stations and water resupply etc.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

There’s plenty of rv grounds on the Kenai Peninsula. If you have money, definitely do the Kenai fjords cruise outside of Seward, and do a king salmon charter on the Kenai. A seawater fishing charter out of Seward would be better than Kenai/Homer side due to fish limits.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Denali Park is a good tourist attraction.  Riding the bus on the park road is your best shot at seeing bears as a tourist.

Seward and the Kenai peninsula are gorgeous.

Hatcher Pass is relatively local to Anchorage and is a good day trip.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The Wife and I enjoy driving up to Hatcher Pass (at least to the ski area) today, so even the "locals" enjoy the trip & view.

A note on why everyone talks about the bus rides in the Park.  You can not drive around inside the park in your own car.  They open the Park up for one weekend in Sept. and allow (I think) 400 cars a day via a lottery; one of those days is a military day.  Other wise you're either driving to and from a campground only or riding on a bus.

The odds on seeing Denali Mtn. are 1 in 3.  The rest of the time it hides in the clouds.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.
View Quote
Have you checked that you can even drive your rental all the way back?

I'd be surprised if that is available, and then if it is I don't think I'd want to know the cost....
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Wife and I enjoy driving up to Hatcher Pass (at least to the ski area) today, so even the "locals" enjoy the trip & view.

A note on why everyone talks about the bus rides in the Park.  You can not drive around inside the park in your own car.  They open the Park up for one weekend in Sept. and allow (I think) 400 cars a day via a lottery; one of those days is a military day.  Other wise you're either driving to and from a campground only or riding on a bus.

The odds on seeing Denali Mtn. are 1 in 3.  The rest of the time it hides in the clouds.
View Quote
If you can get above the clouds it’s pretty cool
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top