Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2023 9:42:02 AM EDT
The goal isn't necessarily for it to be super romantic, other than we will be together.  A nice dinner once might be good.  Of a romantic ish ambiance.  LOL.  Other than Culvers.  Not sure if you even have those.  Although their fish fries are gooooood.  

My cousin went like two years ago and stayed at some cabins in the park I think.  Or near the park.  My wife is not into that.  So so far all I know about is: Rushmore Express Keystone Hotel in Keystone.  And Country Inn and Suites in Rapid City....

I was wanting to visit Mt. Rushmore, and then hopefully Crazy Horse... Maybe...  I think we have 4 days there.  Arriving in the evening on May 1st and leaving on the morning of the 5th.  So the 2nd will be lazy day and probably a nice dinner.  3rd would be Mt Rushmore.  Although I hear that doesn't necessarily take a long time.  And then the 4th is kind open if we do or do not go to the Indian place.  

I am open to suggestions.  Would love to go to black hills ammo, LOL, but I'm not sure that's the right call.  I see that First Stop gun store is recommended but... I'm not really in the market.  I don't really plan to shoot, but will by carrying.  My wife is not in love with shooting but she did shoot a .22 last range session.  I will have to play that one by ear.  Maybe I will bring that pistol and see.

I've wanted to see the monument for a looooooong time.  Not sure I will ever get the chance to besides this.  I'm 51 this year.....  I would've loved to do a prairie dog shoot, but I don't think that should be a thing I do this trip.  LOL.  

Open to suggestion for that open day.  Or any other time.  I heard about a train ride.... ???  Open to suggestions on places to stay.  Budget is tight.  Basically.  As cheap as possible with being safe and not completely....  a tiny box.  I mean, seems like roadside motels are usually, meh, and most normal hotels are 100 bucks a night ish.  But I'm open to suggestions if anyone knows any.  

Thanks in advance for reading and making any suggestions if you get em.....
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 11:41:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay in Custer at rocket motel or similar small joint on the main drag
Get a reservation for skogen kitchen right now for an intimate romantic dinner or alpine inn (cash only) if you arent an adventurous food person. Food options in rapid are a bit weaker.
Eat breakfast in hjem AM in Custer
Take a Jewel and/or Windcave tour
Black Hills Ammo doesnt give tours, first stop is best place to buy it if you want it in quantity.  Best gunstore probably southern hills tactical, great bunch there.
Legion Lake is a great place to spend the sunset or go kayaking if you are feeling active
Deadwood is a bit touristy but you should swing in just because how can you not if you made the journey?
Great air and space museum in Rapid, Minuteman Silo museum just out east is cool if you want some military history
Avoid crazy horse, borderline scam. Park outside and take a photo if you need to.

Cheers
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 1:59:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#2]
THANK YOU!!!  For all that input.  I got the atlas out and my wife is like, woah its super close to Wyoming.  We should go there to say we did.  

Funny story coinciding with the light show at rushmore.  i hope we can see it.  cuz on our honeymoon were were at stone mountain georgia, which they too have a light show, but it was too early in the season. lol.  

My big take away from watching Deadwood was that 1: dudes that knew where the Gold was were more protected or ridiculously fawned over. or like movie stars.  and 2: it woulda sucked bad to have kidney stones back then and there.  ive had several.  one was 9mm and had to be busted up with a laaaaazer.  pew pew.  it was like a long 9mm not round.  but it got trapped coming out just of the kidney.   it probably woulda did me in.  although the other side was working.  but i was in so much pain for about a week.  long story but the er doc didnt tell me it was caught there and i was waiting around to see what was gonna happen.  but u shoulda saw my pee.  i got a pic but u wouldnt wanna see it.

ANYWAYS.....   thank God for modern nephrology.  😎😭🤩😍
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#3]
If you go to Wyoming you should go to Devil's Tower. The drive from Belle Fourche to there is quite pretty and the tower itself is really something to see. The thing to remember about the Hills is that everything you want to see and do is within a two hourish drive one way.

And the show Deadwood is nothing like the tourist trap it is now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Great recommendations from @7insert (though I dig Crazy Horse since we can watch the light show from Dad's house when we're visiting).  

I might add a visit to Custer State Park with a drive on the game loop is absolutely worth the time.  I think it's better than going to Mt Rushmore, but I've been a bunch of times.  Herds of Buffalo are fun to see, and sometimes they get quite close.  And the Game Lodge in the park has a pretty damn good lunch buffet.  If you don't see tour buses in the back lot, it's totally worth it.  They have an excellent Boston Cream Pie for dessert sometimes.  The view from the fire tower at Mt Coolidge defies description when the air is clear.  Had the fire watcher give us a tour of the tower about 5 years ago.   That was nuts cool.

Hjem A.M. in Custer has fantastic breakfast (that's all they do).  Make a reservation to be sure you get a table.  The place is tiny, but worth it.  Good people.

I like the beer at Mount Rushmore Brewing in Custer, and its above average pub grub.  But their service last year really needed work.

Custer Wolf has really good sandwiches.

Bakers Cafe (in Custer) has really good breakfast if you can't get into Hjem.  

Miner Brewing in Hill City also as good beer and pub grub, just more expensive.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh man this is great feedback.  I really like the idea of the tour in the car thing through the Park.  Cuz my wife isn't really an outdoorsy person.  And I used to be but Lyme Disease kicked my butt.  So driving or riding a bike in short stints is really the only thing I do for gettin around.  LOL.  Hiking doesn't sound fun.  A short walk maybe....  

I am going to start booking rooms today and tomorrow.....  And I guess a few restaurant trips too!  Thank you....  

If there are more ideas, I'm all ears.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JJREA:
Oh man this is great feedback.  I really like the idea of the tour in the car thing through the Park.  Cuz my wife isn't really an outdoorsy person.  And I used to be but Lyme Disease kicked my butt.  So driving or riding a bike in short stints is really the only thing I do for gettin around.  LOL.  Hiking doesn't sound fun.  A short walk maybe....  

I am going to start booking rooms today and tomorrow.....  And I guess a few restaurant trips too!  Thank you....  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Wildlife loop is excellent, you will be able to see Bison for sure and we are about to enter calving season. Just expect to get stuck behind lines of gawking tourists if you see a baby one.
Another excellent drive up north would be Spearfish Canyon. Make sure you stop at the various falls in there. The restaurant in the middle of it (name escapes me) is swell too.

Originally Posted By The_Dog:
Custer Wolf has really good sandwiches.

Custer wolf lost my business after virtue signaling for no reason with the whole Ukraine BS going on.

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 7insert:

Wildlife loop is excellent, you will be able to see Bison for sure and we are about to enter calving season. Just expect to get stuck behind lines of gawking tourists if you see a baby one.
Another excellent drive up north would be Spearfish Canyon. Make sure you stop at the various falls in there. The restaurant in the middle of it (name escapes me) is swell too.

Custer wolf lost my business after virtue signaling for no reason with the whole Ukraine BS going on.

View Quote
Latchstring Inn?
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

I must have missed that.  I was probably too busy reading the beer list.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By pokey074:
Latchstring Inn?
View Quote

Ooo...  yeah.  I bet that's the one he's talking about.

And Sugar Shack on 385 north of Pactola Reservoir...  It probably creeps out most health inspectors, but those greasy burgers are so good.  Their Philly Cheesesteak is pretty dang good too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#10]

And Sugar Shack on 385 north of Pactola Reservoir...  It probably creeps out most health inspectors, but those greasy burgers are so good.  Their Philly Cheesesteak is pretty dang good too.
View All Quotes
Latchstring Inn?

Wife and I ate there on our honeymoon, if you cab believe it. Stayed at a B&B and they recommended Sugar Shack. About turned around and walked out but I'm glad we stayed. Amazing burgers!
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want kind of a neat place to stay rent one of the tree houses or glamping tents at Buffalo ridge in custer. Have supper at alpine in but get there at 5pm  or be prepared for 90min wait.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By chargerkid5:
If you want kind of a neat place to stay rent one of the tree houses or glamping tents at Buffalo ridge in custer. Have supper at alpine in but get there at 5pm  or be prepared for 90min wait.
View Quote
Alpine Inn is my #1 must go to when we go to The Hills.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:13:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#13]
OK, so I was gonna book the rocket motel, but too rich for our budget.  So it was the Best Western in Custer.  I have no clue if that's good or bad but whatever.  I will report back.  LOL.  

I need a nice place to eat on the 2nd, which is our anniversary.  The 3rd will be Mt Rushmore viewing.  But not sure if that takes all day.  So we can do the custer state park loop either that day or the 4th.  Anyone know if doing those two things in one day fits or too much?  

So I may have the 4th open.  

I don't want to go to a hinky greasy burger joint that creeps people.  More than likely my wife would be.  Even though Deadwood is touristy, that might be the best route for the 4th....  Just think, I'm married to a southern girl from Alabama.  We are not rich and come from humble means, but she's not outdoorsey or doesn't necessarily like rough places.  So, you know...  somewhat prissy, but not posh.  LOL.  

I'm not seeing the recommendation for a good place to eat one night for our anniversary that someone recommended.  I will go back and read them all again.  But if someone wants to suggest one again.....    

I'm not sure I wanna drive up to devil's tower.  But you never know, we might feel adventurous.  Someone at church said it's pretty freaking unbelievably beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#14]
About the fanciest place in Custer is Skogen Kitchen.  It's only open from 5p to 8p, and you'd definitely need reservations.  It's a bit too hoity toity for me, but the food is good.

There's a new place opening on May 1.  Sage Creek Grille.  The menu looks promising.  

The Pounding Fathers (upstairs from Mt Rushmore Brewing) has a good steak.  But I don't know when they open for the season.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 6:55:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Isonychia] [#15]
You could try the state game lodge in custer for dinner one evening as well, great food

https://www.custerresorts.com/dining

Link Posted: 4/25/2023 3:27:49 AM EDT
[#16]
About the fanciest place in Custer is Skogen Kitchen.  It's only open from 5p to 8p, and you'd definitely need reservations.  It's a bit too hoity toity for me, but the food is good.

There's a new place opening on May 1.  Sage Creek Grille.  The menu looks promising.  

The Pounding Fathers (upstairs from Mt Rushmore Brewing) has a good steak.  But I don't know when they open for the season.
View Quote

Sage Creek Grille had a no guns sign only time I was there in 2018
(Despite the wall hanger shotgun for decor)
Id really think twice about giving them a penny if thats what they feel they need to say in Custer, SD of all places
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Skogen Kitchen. aaaaaaaaa 50 bucks for halibut, my wife even says no way to that.  

maybe the sage creek is the way to go for anniversary dinner.....

Somebody mentioned boston creme pie in the park....... mmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Sage Creek Grille had a no guns sign only time I was there in 2018
(Despite the wall hanger shotgun for decor)
Id really think twice about giving them a penny if thats what they feel they need to say in Custer, SD of all places
View Quote
Great thing is, that sign carries no weight under SD law. I get it though, I wouldn't give them any of my money just out of principal.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Skogen Kitchen. aaaaaaaaa 50 bucks for halibut, my wife even says no way to that.  

View All Quotes

Alpine Inn in Hill City has a nice dinner atmosphere, check menu before going. No reservations taken.

Great thing is, that sign carries no weight under SD law. I get it though, I wouldn't give them any of my money just out of principal.

In theory they can tresspass you if somehow they found out but yeah we are on the same page here. They dont get a dime.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:00:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Terriblis] [#20]
Removed
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:37:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#21]
Yeah well I was surprised Minnesota has no recriprocity or no carry for that matter.  

Captains log: It's 6:30 am May 1st.   Woke up from a decent sleep at the Super 8 in Fairmont, MN.   Ate at the Green Mill last night.  Chicken Caesar salad was really good.  Super 8 clean enough.  Not bad.  It was worth it to me to save 50 bucks or so over the best western next door.  lol.  Mississippi River was amazing.  sinuses are better.  anytime i get out of SE Wisconsin my sinuses open up.  Winter is usually alright by me but spring and fall.  i suspect all the industry in mke chicago clogs the air.....   will see soon what the super 8 puts out for breakfast.  im suspecting a box of wheaties and expired milk.  but maybe they'll surprise me.  donuts from kwik trip?????
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 10:57:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#22]
in custer.  BEAUTIFUL.  Sage Creek was open and close and i didnt care about the no carry sign.  thats just me.  was a wonderful meal.   many of the restaurants werent opened yet last night.  i think the wolf inn was, but the sage creek food was sooooo good.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Did the Custer Game Loop and Needles Hwy yesterday afternoon and ate dinner at Sylvan Lake Lodge.  We were giddy after needles hwy by how much spectacular views there were.  it leaves u dumbfounded.   And after we ate at Sylvan Lake Lodge we were on the terrace snd my wife spied two guys on top of this huge rock formation about a mile away.  They were setting up ropes and then we saw the first guy start his descent.  my wife was practically pooping her pants.  lol.  she was queezy on the drive on needles hwy.  its probably hard to be a passenger and trust the driver.  lol.  

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Mt Rushmore today.  maybe Keystone if we dont stay at Rushmore all day.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#24]
You chose the two warmest days in months. Nice work.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:47:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Glad you're enjoying the southern Hills.  Hoping to get there soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top