Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2021 10:46:31 PM EDT
Hey Ladies and Gents-

I'm planning a cross-country road trip of anywhere between 4-8 weeks, leaving some time in mid-late April.

One of the states I'm going to be visiting is Wyoming.

So far, I have the following on the list of things to *potentially* see in your state.  I'm not sure I'll get to all of them, but I want to solicit suggestions about things I should see or avoid.
I'm particularly interested in stuff that people might not know about or remember that has historic significance.  For instance, in Louisiana I'm visiting the site where Bonnie and Clyde were gunned down.  In that case, it's just a small monument on a dirt road, but it's an interesting part of history.

• Yellowstone

• Grand Teton

I imagine I could spend an entire week in Yellowstone, so I'm not sure how much of the rest of your amazing state I'll be able to see given my time constraints.  I may not even make it to Grand Teton; Yellowstone is definitely the priority at the moment.

I could use any advice whatsoever regarding trails, camp sites, covid restrictions in the area, etc.  I'd welcome meeting up with some locals for drinks or off-roading if there are good options.  I have a TRD 4runner that I really want to give a workout, though I'm planning on primarily doing that in AZ, UT, and CO.  My passing through Wyoming is primarily to visit Yellowstone at the moment.  I'm going in a little blind here, so anything you can tell me is really appreciated (great driving roads, places to eat, camping spots, etc.)

Any advice at all is welcome.  Things to see, places to avoid, roads to use and not use, trails for off-roading, camp sites, etc.

One thing I won't be doing is shooting, and I don't really intend on visiting FFLs or anything like that.  I have a limited amount of time for certain states and can't waste that in gun shops.

I plan on sleeping in the back of the car for 2-3 days, then getting a hotel for the night, then going back in the car.  As a result, I'll need recommendations for cool camp sites with views, etc.

Any information about Covid restrictions is also helpful with regard to closures of parks or businesses.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 12:07:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 4:45:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are a bunch of roads in the park that aren't open in April, as well as some mountain pass roads around the state.  It's mainly people on sleds around that part of the state that time of year.

Wyoming dropped the mask mandate, so no masks here, and it was all but ignored by everyone but tourists anyway.
View Quote

Wyoming is beyond half-way on my trip, and I'll surely be well into May by the time I make it up there.  I'm hoping that by that point, the conditions have improved and they will start opening up the park a bit more.  Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Right on.

Bring warm clothing because the high country can and will get snow year round, and we will still be seeing it statewide in early May.  If it isn't snowing, it will be cold at night, and probably during the day depending on the weather and altitude.
View Quote

Oh I absolutely will.  I'm really looking forward to it.  I was born (and partly raised in New York) so I'm used to the brisk weather and miss it often in FL.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#5]
You should go to kemmerer and dig up fossils.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 2:47:56 AM EDT
[#6]

That looks cool!  Maybe I will; I'll have to see how time looks, but it's not really that far away from where I intend on being.

Man, you guys have a beautiful state...just looking at all the pictures of it is mesmerizing at times.  I get the feeling I could really enjoy spending a few months there.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe they announced the East Gate (Cody) will open 5 May.  We have snow halfway down the mountains around Powell and it was

26 degrees this morning.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#8]
UPDATE:

I've postponed the trip until around mid-June.  I currently have covid, which makes a postponement absolutely necessary.  My father also has it and is in the ICU.

I'll touch base again on this when I get through some of this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
UPDATE:

I've postponed the trip until around mid-June.  I currently have covid, which makes a postponement absolutely necessary.  My father also has it and is in the ICU.

View Quote

Speedy recovery to you both!

Mid June is a great time to come out. Are you staying in a hotel while near the Jackson area? Camping and lodging is always tight in the summer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
UPDATE:

View Quote

Good luck brother
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Fellas, the trip is off.  My father passed away from Covid a few weeks ago.  My spirit for this sort of thing is just smashed, and I have no idea when I'm going to get around to thinking about it again.  

I want to thank everyone I've talked to in this thread and via PM for their recommendations and information on your state.  I hope that maybe one day, I can plan this again and meet up with a few of you along the way.

My best to all of you.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fellas, the trip is off.  My father passed away from Covid a few weeks ago.  My spirit for this sort of thing is just smashed, and I have no idea when I'm going to get around to thinking about it again.  

I want to thank everyone I've talked to in this thread and via PM for their recommendations and information on your state.  I hope that maybe one day, I can plan this again and meet up with a few of you along the way.

My best to all of you.
View Quote

My Condolences.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top