Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2021 6:08:22 PM EDT
Very tired of fighting the liberal anti-gun hoard here on the Left coast and thinking it's time to retire and move someplace conservative and NFA friendly. Kentucky seems like the single best choice.
However, I'm wondering what most folks do for ranges? Shoot on your own land? Go to a commercial range? Is KY friendly with shooting on public land? I usually spend more time shooting at a gravel pit up in the hills then at a pay-to-shoot range here in WA state, but that's not an option for everyone here, and I don't even know if it's available in Kentucky.
I've read the posted list or ranges, but am not sure if "commercial" or "state run" ranges are the only allowed places to shoot.
I've got a decent sized collection already with a few SBR's and cans, but am looking forward to joining the MG crowd when we relocate. I've already told the Mrs.'s to factor that price into the cost of a new home as a given.
So do most of you go to established ranges, have your own, or find a safe spot out in the wild?
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Over on the Central/ Eastern side, the answer is pretty much "YES" to all 3 options, from what I have done and experienced. Generally, out side of the city limits, just about anything goes- except shooting "game" from inside the house or covered porch/ vehicles. Oh, and, uh.... WHAT "noise ordinance?"
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I usually go to Junction city about an hour south of Lex to get rifle and pistol work done.

A couple of my coworkers do also.

300 yards, rifle and pistol pits, $100/yr.  Steel targets too.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#3]
In my experience, ranges, and farm land are good to go.  There are commercial ranges like Knob Creek, several free state run ranges in the area (like at Taylorsville Lake), and there are private clubs as well.  Never shot on public land, but don't know of any around me.

Whatever you do, don't move to Louisville.  It's a pretty crappy very liberal city.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 9:44:18 AM EDT
[#4]
The USDA Nation Forest service operates a few public shooting ranges in KY. Whitman Branch is the closest to me and very nice. They spent $40k a few years ago to renovate it. They put in new covered shooting benches.

Whitman Branch

There's a few similar USDA shooting ranges across the state but I don't know if they're still open or what condition they're in if they are.

In Laurel Co. where I live there's Center Target Firearms, it has a 25 yard indoor shooting range. And there's the Laurel Fish and Game Club, a member only outdoor range that you can get out to little less than 300 yards.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I usually go to Junction city about an hour south of Lex to get rifle and pistol work done.

View Quote

Boyle County F+G?
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#6]
In Central KY, there is a lot of private land but you don't hear too many gun shots. I shoot on a farm in Richmond a good bit and never hear gun shots from the surrounding area (outside of deer season). I think most central KY shooting happens on private ranges/clubs. For example there is a club near Junction City, another near Lawenceburg, and there is BGSL(website) in Wilmore, along with S&D and Bud's for indoor ranges in/near Lexington.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#7]
From my back porch to the walnut tree in my field is ~40 yrds. To the target stand by the barn is 100 yrds. I've got a pile of trees to cut up the mountainside before I can set up my 200 & 300 yrd stands.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 12:45:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Boyle County F+G?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boyle County F+G?

yes
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. There is a place on my land in Pike County that lets me stretch out. I also set up and hunt from that same ridge.

Overview of my property

Distances that I have steel targets set at.

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#12]

We always used to shoot about 2 miles north of where you are.

we got off 119 at huddy and went up 199 a few miles and turned on to 1056 then took a dirt/gravel road on the left out to the strip.

I think someone may have bought all that land out there, cant remember for sure.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We always used to shoot about 2 miles north of where you are.

we got off 119 at huddy and went up 199 a few miles and turned on to 1056 then took a dirt/gravel road on the left out to the strip.

I think someone may have bought all that land out there, cant remember for sure.
View Quote

I know exactly where you are talking about, I know the guy that bought that land real well. Now there is a place similar to the land that you are speaking of you can go shoot off of Left Fork.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Very nice!!!!!
View Quote

Thanks

Quoted:
Very nice.  You should host a LR shoot!
View Quote

I would consider hosting a shoot, but there would have to be stipulations to it. I am not willing to just turn someone loose at 1k yards without seeing them hit at shorter ranges. Granted, I have a mountain face as a back stop, but some people still do stupid shit.

In order to shoot 460yds, you need to shoot MOA at 100.
In order to shoot 780, you need to hold MOA at 460 and so on.

I will not allow people to stretch out if they can't shoot MOA. I am sure you understand where I am coming from on that.

Link Posted: 9/28/2021 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks

I would consider hosting a shoot, but there would have to be stipulations to it. I am not willing to just turn someone loose at 1k yards without seeing them hit at shorter ranges. Granted, I have a mountain face as a back stop, but some people still do stupid shit.

I will not allow people to stretch out if they can't shoot MOA. I am sure you understand where I am coming from on that.

View Quote

Yea shawn (you probably know him) did that several years ago and we had kind of an east ky hometown shoot at that old spot I was referencing.
we met up in pikeville then rode out there.

most of us knew what we were doing but a couple random guys show up with cheap single shot 50's and tasco scopes.

The area is great for getting some distance but I dont blame you at all for wanting to know peoples competence before letting them shoot.
Any more there is just a handful of us that know each other and shoot some although I havent been up there in several years.

There is another larger group of guys that shoot at a range in hazard thats free and on public land (the deplorable riflemans club on FB)
Awesome place to shoot out to 1500 and everyone is really nice.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:47:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yea shawn (you probably know him) did that several years ago and we had kind of an east ky hometown shoot at that old spot I was referencing.

most of us knew what we were doing but a couple random guys show up with cheap single shot 50's and tasco scopes.

The area is great for getting some distance but I dont blame you at all for wanting to know peoples competence before letting them shoot.
Any more there is just a handful of us that know each other and shoot some although I havent been up there in several years.

There is another larger group of guys that shoot at a range in hazard thats free and on public land (the deplorable riflemans club on FB)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Not sure who Shawn is as I don't know any arfcommers out here in this area. I am leaving this weekend for a trip and will be gone for a few weeks. When I get back, we can discuss about possibly having a shoot at my place. And maybe I can work out a deal with someone, kind of a "help me(keep poachers away) and I give you a place to shoot and hunt" kind of deal. But things can be discussed when I return.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not sure who Shawn is as I don't know any arfcommers out here in this area. I am leaving this weekend for a trip and will be gone for a few weeks. When I get back, we can discuss about possibly having a shoot at my place. And maybe I can work out a deal with someone, kind of a "help me(keep poachers away) and I give you a place to shoot and hunt" kind of deal. But things can be discussed when I return.
View Quote

Heck I thought Shawn knew everyone out there lol.

He runs looserounds.com

If you browse loose rounds you will come across some articles with pics out on the strip, he's a good guy with lots of cool stuff.

@Shawnmt6601
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I dont invite arfcommers anymore.  Got tired of being taken advantage of and doing all the work

they promise they are coming untilt he day of the shoot then don't show or they show up with no targets, barely any ammo, are completely unprepared for serious shooting,  don't help put up or change  targets or do much of anything but stand around and watch me and Greg do it while they enjoy the free food and drinks and then dirt blast into the hill side.

Me and 5 local very serious long range shooters, shoot at a different and better strip job range  5 minutes away at the Martin county/pike County border that allows shots out to 1.7 miles. Which is  is also were we shoot the full auto stuff.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2021 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks

View Quote
I understand completely.   I wouldn't make the drive (about 3hrs for me) if the host didn't have stipulations like these.  

I haven't stretched out past 350 since this COVID crap started and ammo pricing got stupid.

I used to make semi regular trips to hazard to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm close to E-town.  I have a membership at the irvington sportsman's club but I'm looking for somewhere close by but cheaper than knob creek to reach out farther than 100m.  

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm close to E-town.  I have a membership at the irvington sportsman's club but I'm looking for somewhere close by but cheaper than knob creek to reach out farther than 100m.  

Any suggestions?
View Quote

Im also in Etown.

Owensboro rifle and pistol www.orpci.org has a 200 yard range

Anderson co sportsman’s club goes to 300 I think.  

I’m not aware of any other membership ranges in our area.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought 19 acres outside of Berea and can shoot out to 300 yrds. Been working on a nice 3 gun range but it's been slow going (150yrds long by 20 yrds wide).
Been building up my steel targets. Was doing ccdw classes here for a while until they changed the law and havnt had a class in 8 months.

Richmond has the central Ky wma that has a rifle range but I quite going there yrs ago. It's nice but you're not supposed to shoot pistol out there.

Most people around here either shoot there or farms.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I bought 19 acres outside of Berea and can shoot out to 300 yrds. Been working on a nice 3 gun range but it's been slow going (150yrds long by 20 yrds wide).
Been building up my steel targets. Was doing ccdw classes here for a while until they changed the law and havnt had a class in 8 months.

Richmond has the central Ky wma that has a rifle range but I quite going there yrs ago. It's nice but you're not supposed to shoot pistol out there.

Most people around here either shoot there or farms.
View Quote

I’m in Mt Vernon, let me know when you have another class, I need some more NICS exempt in my life
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top