Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2019 9:32:40 PM EDT
Anybody know a place in the general ABQ/RR/SF area where I could get some ammo X-Rayed for authenticity? I'm looking at picking up some of those Raufoss rounds…
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#1]
If you figure it out let me know.  I bought a MK211 among other things for my dad's birthday gift (and pretty much every strange .50 round I could find) and I really have no way of verifying them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Until X-rays are on the table, you can compare the ogive against an API round; the Mk211 should be more fat/rounded. Maybe do a side-by-side pic and post it?
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunately I already gifted them.  But I did take a pic. I tried to get him every round I could get a hold of and this is what I ended up with.  The MK211 and SLAP rounds weren't cheap.  The SLAPs look legitimate but I really have no way of knowing about the MK211.

From left to right is (hopefully):
M2 AP, M20 APIT, MK263 AP, M1 Incendiary, MK211 "Raufoss" HEIAP, MK257 APIDT (dim tracer), M903 SLAP, M962 SLAPT, M48A1 spotter/tracer (red/yellow tip), M17 Tracer, and M33 ball

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks legit to me, next to the other rounds like that. It looks to have the proper more-blunted ogive and tip. Nice collection, and an awesome gift idea!

I've never heard of SLAP rounds being counterfeited, outside of people loading .308 bullets in sabots which yours definitely are not.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 3:30:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks legit to me, next to the other rounds like that. It looks to have the proper more-blunted ogive and tip. Nice collection, and an awesome gift idea!

I've never heard of SLAP rounds being counterfeited, outside of people loading .308 bullets in sabots which yours definitely are not.
View Quote
Thanks! My 80 year old dad really seemed to like it!  I don't think he'll actually shoot any of them, but they look good in his ammo collection.

I'm glad to hear they at least look legit!  Thats probably good enough to be honest
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top