Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2019 7:09:12 PM EDT
Hello, grew up in MS but have some questions.

There is a strong chance that I will be moving to the Hattiesburg area in the fall after I finish school.  Is there anywhere within about a 3hr drive where I can do "tactical" shooting?  I will be drawing from a holster and shooting rifle/pistol rapidly out to at least 300 yards for rifle.  Additionally, I would like to occasionally shoot at night with my NODs if possible.  1000 yards would be another plus, and I'm ok with going to several ranges for different types of shooting.  I currently have access to a private range over here in GA where I can do all of this, and I would like to keep up my skills when I move away.

If there isn't a good place to shoot around there, I will probably turn down the job offer (70k) for a much lower paying job (25-30k) in GA so that I can continue shooting.  That's how much I like shooting...

Do any of ya'll know of any good ranges?  I suppose I could just buy land if I move, although I won't be able to afford land right away.  What about joining a hunt club and doing all my shooting outside of deer/turkey season?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#1]
MCTA, around Stennis, offers some or all of what you seek. If you’re a member the hours of operation are 24/7. Non members can shoot in the weekend during daylight. Drawing from the holster is gtg. The place is owned by an active/former SBU guy I think. There’s a few other ranges within an hour to an hour and a half from Hburg that offer varying degrees of “tactical”. I used to be a member at a range close to Laurel and most times I was by myself. Brothers in Arms is one near Hburg. They have memberships that are worth it if you don’t have any land to shoot on. There’s also one near Laurel that offers longer ranges. I can’t remember that one right now. MSGunOwners is a good resource for local info and general gobbledygook.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info!

I looked at MCTA- looks about like I'm looking for!  The fact that it's owned by an ex-mil guy and there's no board is encouraging.  I have experienced some pretty bad gun club board shenanigans recently, and I have no interest in a bunch of old, rich, retired and "cultured" shotgun/benchrest shooters make the rules.  I'll probably give them a call soon- all depends on how my job-gittin' process goes.

I may look into a smaller range nearer to Hattiesburg too.  That way I could practice pistol 2-3x a week, and then save rifle shooting for at least 2 weekends a month due to the drive.  Or, if I got a cheap house on a few acres I could do all my close range & pistol stuff at home.

By the way, my end goal is to open my own semi-public range, so I guess if I move to the area and I like my job (and have no desire to go back for a PhD...) I will be looking at land for that purpose.  I'm thinking a traditional 1k (+/-) rifle range, a 100yd by 100yd tactical range with 360 degree berms, and some pistol bays would be a pretty sweet setup.  However, no idea how long it will be until I can pull it off.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info!

I looked at MCTA- looks about like I'm looking for!  The fact that it's owned by an ex-mil guy and there's no board is encouraging.  I have experienced some pretty bad gun club board shenanigans recently, and I have no interest in a bunch of old, rich, retired and "cultured" shotgun/benchrest shooters make the rules.  I'll probably give them a call soon- all depends on how my job-gittin' process goes.

I may look into a smaller range nearer to Hattiesburg too.  That way I could practice pistol 2-3x a week, and then save rifle shooting for at least 2 weekends a month due to the drive.  Or, if I got a cheap house on a few acres I could do all my close range & pistol stuff at home.

By the way, my end goal is to open my own semi-public range, so I guess if I move to the area and I like my job (and have no desire to go back for a PhD...) I will be looking at land for that purpose.  I'm thinking a traditional 1k (+/-) rifle range, a 100yd by 100yd tactical range with 360 degree berms, and some pistol bays would be a pretty sweet setup.  However, no idea how long it will be until I can pull it off.
View Quote
I have known the owner of MCTA for about 6 years.  Great guy, great range and reasonable rates.   I highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have known the owner of MCTA for about 6 years.  Great guy, great range and reasonable rates.   I highly recommend them.
View Quote
If you're willing to drive MCTA is the way to go.

The other big range down here, CRPC is okay, about 70% of what you mention.

I run a monthly two gun at CRPC that would qualify as "tactical" more than gamer, love to have you.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I run a monthly two gun at CRPC that would qualify as "tactical" more than gamer, love to have you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where are ya'll located?  will definitely check yall out.   I am retiring there but that is still 6 years away.  Have about 40 acres in Lincoln county and building private range there as well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#6]
We are at the CRPC range on Highway 67, north of Biloxi.  About 5 hours away from your land, my match is worth a drive from Slidel, Mobile or Hburg (especially if you have a buddy to drive with) but I probably wouldn't drive 5 hours.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#7]
@biometrician,
Check out Brothers in Arms in Hattiesburg. It is in 49S just south of Rose's (49 and 98 interchange). Theu routinely host 2 gun, maybe 3, have lots of pistol and rifle ranges, although I'm not sure on distance, best guess is like 100 or 150. They also have a corner range that is kind of a free for all within reason. Allows for shooting and moving. Owners are LEO or LEO instructors. One guy there is a really great pistol instructor that can have you ringing steel at 100.

There is also a 100yd range in Brooklyn. It is in the national forest. No targets or target stands, has covered benches. I use it for zero and practice run and gun myself. Just please pick up your trash there when you are done. Me and 2 buddies went and filled 20 contractor bags up before we quit. Place was littered with pallets, appliances, and even a window from a humvee.

For distance shooting and nighttime shooting hit me up when you get here. I shoot in my backyard at night under nods and thermal, also have a few places worth popping a few hogs. Other local info I'll tell you face to face.

ETA...if you do wind up moving here, let me know ahead of time. I know a great realtor and the 3 of us can put you in the right area as far as schools, commute, etc
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 2:13:21 AM EDT
[#8]
MCTA offers some pretty legit training. It’s a tad far for me, but there’s a lot of good stuff there.

CRPC and Currahee host a lot of matches. He’s good people.

I’ve never been to Brothers In Arms, but the owner is a super good dude who I’ve instructed with several times doing LE training.

All of those places should be good to go.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#9]
That sound great!  I've been unofficially offered this Hattiesburg job, and will probably start in a few months.

I think that I will be looking at land in 5 years if I decide to settle, and will try to build a fine range...

I was talking to a family friend of mine who knows the owners of Brothers in Arms and had good things to say about them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top