BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 11:11:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Man you guys are more local than I thought, I'm near Burgettstown too.  How did the meetup go?

Anyone know if there are any flyovers of Pittsburgh  area? Hoping to see some military aircraft like we did during the 911th air shows.
View Quote

You should’ve been in a good spot to se low level C-130s flying around when they had those.   I used to see them down pretty low around Washington to burgettstown when I worked out that way.  
Now with the C-17s I don’t know, but they probably stay up pretty high.  I’ve seen and heard a few, but always up there pretty good, and hard to spot in the haze   Flightradar24 is 99% of the time no help tracking the C-17s.
I think there was an Osprey flying south this past weekend.   I couldn’t see it from up side my bee suit, but the sound was not like an Apache or Blackhawk that occasionally flies by, or the rare chinook.  I am in westmoreland county
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 6:24:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You should’ve been in a good spot to se low level C-130s flying around when they had those.   I used to see them down pretty low around Washington to burgettstown when I worked out that way.  
Now with the C-17s I don’t know, but they probably stay up pretty high.  I’ve seen and heard a few, but always up there pretty good, and hard to spot in the haze   Flightradar24 is 99% of the time no help tracking the C-17s.
I think there was an Osprey flying south this past weekend.   I couldn’t see it from up side my bee suit, but the sound was not like an Apache or Blackhawk that occasionally flies by, or the rare chinook.  I am in westmoreland county
View Quote

Actually I think what I saw was a C130.

Im not too far from the airport and see all sorts of low flying aircraft coming down for approach.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I was under the impression all the 911th's C-130's were gone and the swap out to C-17's was complete ?

Only C-130's I've seen lately are the occasional Marine version flying over Altoona once in a great while now.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Meet up went great!  Watch the meet up thread as well use it to plan the next.

I saw a C17 fly over a few times in Beaver County Wednesday night.
View Quote

Did you make a separate thread for future meetups?
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Did you make a separate thread for future meetups?
View Quote

Same meet up thread will be continued for future meet ups. Trying to see about interest for later this month.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 8:32:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Same meet up thread will be continued for future meet ups. Trying to see about interest for later this month.
View Quote

Copy that, my 20 day stint is done saturday thank god. Home for 10 days ill keep an eye out tmfor the future ones ??
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 11:43:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone looking for a new house, Clint Hurdle is selling his old place.
Not bad, little too crowded neighborhood, though

https://triblive.com/sports/former-pirates-manager-clint-hurdle-puts-hampton-township-home-up-for-sale/
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#8]
If any of you are into reloading, Steel Valley Casting will be glad to do business with you.  They have stock and shipping is free on orders of 500+.

I have used their products and am satisfied.  They are good to go.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If any of you are into reloading, Steel Valley Casting will be glad to do business with you.  They have stock and shipping is free on orders of 500+.

View Quote

I tried talking them into making powder coated 300BLK but no luck
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

power coating is easy.   DIY.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

power coating is easy.   DIY.
View Quote

Finding time is the hard part.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Just in case anyone in the Pittsburgh area might be interested, this Saturday, August 15, the little town of Export (east of Pittsburgh, right off Rt.22) will be having an ethnic food festival and dedicating a new American Legion Memorial.  That will happen right around 3pm, and at 3:15 will have a fly-by of WWII warbirds.   Their FB post said “Tri-State Warbirds”.  
I am not sure if these are just some local warbirds (there are several guys with T-34B Mentors down at Rostraver airport, or the Tri-State Warbirds from the flying museum near Cincinnati.  They’ve got some good stuff, so hoping it’s them,

Weather permitting of course.  Chance of thunderstorms much of this week.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone know of a local business that produces or sells steel targets?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone know of a local business that produces or sells steel targets?
View Quote

Let me know when you go test them
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Thunder and Lightning steel targets

They have a Facebook
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Let me know when you go test them
View Quote

For sure!
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They have a Facebook
View Quote

Are they still in business? I was under the impression they closed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have a Facebook

Well their signs are still around.  I always thought they were a side gig for someone..

anywho, give them a call. (724) 825-9678
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Will do. I'll let you know what I find out.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Need another recommendation. I need an exceptional bow tuner to help me get my new bow set up. Anyone have a recommendation? I've always used Archer's Edge but ever since Kevin left I have been extremely disappointed in the work I've had done. The center shot was so far off on my last "Pro Tune" that I ran out of adjustment on my sight before I could zero at 20 yards.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I spoke with the owner of Thunder and Lightning Steel Targets. They are indeed still in business despite the fact the website is down and they haven't posted on facebook in over a year. His prices look decent so I'll probably pick up a few targets to try out. Not sure what combo to get. I was thinking about getting 3 silhouette targets with one being a hostage style but i'm not sure his are made for stands. I think they're all chain hung which would pose an issue.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I spoke with the owner of Thunder and Lightning Steel Targets. They are indeed still in business despite the fact the website is down and they haven't posted on facebook in over a year. His prices look decent so I'll probably pick up a few targets to try out. Not sure what combo to get. I was thinking about getting 3 silhouette targets with one being a hostage style but i'm not sure his are made for stands. I think they're all chain hung which would pose an issue.
View Quote

Make a stand that can go in front of the back stop?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Make a stand that can go in front of the back stop?
View Quote

Thought about it. I'm not sure I want a wood stand. In my mind it'd probably need repaired often but I do have an idea for one. I'd like something that can be taken down easily for transportation which could probably be done with wood but would take a little ingenuity. The only other issue is 3 wood stands would likely take up a ton of room which poses issues of its own.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thought about it. I'm not sure I want a wood stand. In my mind it'd probably need repaired often but I do have an idea for one. I'd like something that can be taken down easily for transportation which could probably be done with wood but would take a little ingenuity. The only other issue is 3 wood stands would likely take up a ton of room which poses issues of its own.
View Quote

Threaded metal pipe? That way it can be disassembled for transport.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I feel like building a frame to hang them from could add up pretty quick. Most projects I attempt end up being way more expensive then just buying what I needed in the first place. I'm also more so interested in a single post set up vs a frame to hang them in. I think this will most likely be what we try out first. If I like it I'll get a couple more of the standard silhouettes. I may pick up a few 6" gongs as well with his T-post hooks. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I feel like building a frame to hang them from could add up pretty quick. Most projects I attempt end up being way more expensive then just buying what I needed in the first place. I'm also more so interested in a single post set up vs a frame to hang them in. I think this will most likely be what we try out first. If I like it I'll get a couple more of the standard silhouettes. I may pick up a few 6" gongs as well with his T-post hooks. Thoughts?
View Quote

Thats pretty badass, wow. I might stop by the club tonight to BS and shoot in the pistol range. Ill ask a director what he thinks of it since were all on camera now.

I was there last weekend hitting steel at 200 and 300 yards with my new 10/22 build
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thats pretty badass, wow. I might stop by the club tonight to BS and shoot in the pistol range. Ill ask a director what he thinks of it since were all on camera now.

I was there last weekend hitting steel at 200 and 300 yards with my new 10/22 build
View Quote

Nice! Ruger 10/22 is one platform I haven't gotten into yet. I did however pick up an ADM UIC Mod 2 and LPVO with offset RMR mount. I'm gonna rob that Holosun off my P80 Gucci pistol to test the set up before I buy an RMR. It'd be really nice if they'll allow us to configure the range how we want with portable targets so we can set up a makeshift "run and gun" defensive carbine course. Even if they won't let us advance down range (given no one else is there) as long as they'll let us set some steel targets we can make it work.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:24:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Nice! Ruger 10/22 is one platform I haven't gotten into yet. I did however pick up an ADM UIC Mod 2 and LPVO with offset RMR mount. I'm gonna rob that Holosun off my P80 Gucci pistol to test the set up before I buy an RMR. It'd be really nice if they'll allow us to configure the range how we want with portable targets so we can set up a makeshift "run and gun" defensive carbine course. Even if they won't let us advance down range (given no one else is there) as long as they'll let us set some steel targets we can make it work.
View Quote

I configure the indoor range for shit like that with the barricades and all the lights off. Im waiting for the day someone walks in on me shooting int the dark with only my WML on.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:59:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I configure the indoor range for shit like that with the barricades and all the lights off. Im waiting for the day someone walks in on me shooting int the dark with only my WML on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that sounds like a blast.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

that sounds like a blast.
View Quote

I know how to party
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Went to the Carrie Blast Furnace tour today and I have to say it was cool.. a really great tour.

Link Posted: 8/22/2020 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Just coincidentally I was at Clairton works, yesterday, but not in the mill section.

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Went to the Carrie Blast Furnace tour today and I have to say it was cool.. a really great tour.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/252915/20160527lf-Furnace05-4-1574312014-1557527.jpg

View Quote

I read about the Carrie blast furnace some years ago and wanted to visit but never made it down there. That'd be something cool to do with my boys when they get a little older to show them some of the city's history. Thanks for the recommendation/reminder
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#35]
They reccomend 8 years  old..

But my wife said 10 to 12
but if they kid is hyper it's not the tour for you.

It's 2 hours long and alot  to comprehend even for an adult. We walked around the whole time and the guy stops every 50 feet and talks about something for 5-15 minutes.

There was a family on our tour... kid was about 10...well behaved... about the 1 hour mark he was bored.

They were pretty strict about social distancing and using masks so be prepared for that.

Just wanted you have this  information because it's kind of expensive and you don't want to waste your money on taking kids along and then have to leave or take them around the corner to beat their asses.

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I almost got to work at Clairton Coke Works in 1991 when the USW were about to walk out.
I was lucky and didn’t have to spend weeks shadowing the hourly workers.  I was just going to be in the maintenance gang.
As it was, they took two days after the contract expired and signed a new agreement with US Steel.
Everything at Clairton could kill you, much of it quickly.   What a dismal place it was.  Even the salaried dining room was shabby there.  
So then it was back to my regular job at the Irvin plant just down river.  

But many years later and working for another steel company, I did get to run mill equipment when the contract expired and the usw was locked out.  
For six months I ran a plate anneal furnace and leveler, plus some other equipment, as well as overhead cranes.   For the most part I had a great time, especially when I was working with fellow company salaried employees and not the replacement workers.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I almost got to work at Clairton Coke Works in 1991 when the USW were about to walk out.
I was lucky and didn’t have to spend weeks shadowing the hourly workers.  I was just going to be in the maintenance gang.
As it was, they took two days after the contract expired and signed a new agreement with US Steel.
Everything at Clairton could kill you, much of it quickly.   What a dismal place it was.  Even the salaried dining room was shabby there.  
So then it was back to my regular job at the Irvin plant just down river.  

But many years later and working for another steel company, I did get to run mill equipment when the contract expired and the usw was locked out.  
For six months I ran a plate anneal furnace and leveler, plus some other equipment, as well as overhead cranes.   For the most part I had a great time, especially when I was working with fellow company salaried employees and not the replacement workers.
View Quote

I drive down that way a lot with the kids (the oldest loves the trains and industry) and Clairton has a very peculiar atmosphere; bleak and oppressive on the residential side in the shadow of the mill. It looks like a place nobody wants to live.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Anyone know a good electrician in Pittsburgh?  
I'm thinking about getting service from pole replaced and upgrade panel to 200 or 400 amps.  

I'm ok doing a lot of house stuff, but electrical and I don't get along so much.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 2:40:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I drive down that way a lot with the kids (the oldest loves the trains and industry) and Clairton has a very peculiar atmosphere; bleak and oppressive on the residential side in the shadow of the mill. It looks like a place nobody wants to live.
View Quote

I think it’s had that reputation for a long time.  It’s been a rough neibhoHOOD, but no worse than McKeesport, and hardly the worst and most dangerous one surrounding pittsburgh.
The odors and gases emitted from the coke batteries, probably why.   US Steel used to paint/spray the hill side on the opposite side of the river green, as nothing would grow there.   All the emissions controls they’ve had to install of the years has changed that, but  it probably still stinks.
Clairton used to be a much bigger operation.   They used to have rolling mills there that made railroad track rail.   That probably shut down in the early 1980s or late 70s.

The worst coke plant I’ve seen and smelled was the one the former Wheeling Pitt had in Follansbee WV.   It looked old and decrepit, and I doubt there was much if any emissions controls.  I don’t doubt Byrd kept the EPA off their backs.  And man did it stink there.  On foggy mornings heading to work up north of Steubenville they must have really taken the opportunity to dump out every unused waste gas they could.  What an awful smell coming down from rt22 and Weirton.
And it was actually particulate emissions from coal power plants in OH and probably this coke plant that the Clinton era EPA used to get the old J&L coke plant in Hazelwood shut down- this is the site where biden gave his first campaign speech in months to a crowd of 5 or 6 reporters, and got heckled.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#40]
God bless you.  I really, really, dislike that place.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 1:47:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Anyone know a good electrician in Pittsburgh?  
I'm thinking about getting service from pole replaced and upgrade panel to 200 or 400 amps.  

I'm ok doing a lot of house stuff, but electrical and I don't get along so much.  
View Quote

I uhad good experience with one closer to cecil, where ya located? I can dig up his card
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 1:49:00 AM EDT
[#42]
been a minute simce ive been on. Tested positive (twice by mobile unit) today on my pad and had to leave for quarantine and taking another test in  the AM for work just to be sure. No symptoms whatsoever, anythibg new around the burgh?
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#43]
When in doubt check with Afrcom.

I just scored a .38 special revolver.I need ammo.

Anyone of you guys have a spare box in your ammo fort that you'll sell me for a semi-reasonable price? If so then shoot me an IM.

Basic RN lead would be fine, no +P loads, just something basic.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Anyone of you guys have a spare box in your ammo fort that you'll sell me for a semi-reasonable price? If so then shoot me an IM.

View Quote

Where are you at? Feel free to PM instead of posting here.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Im in northern pa for a wedding. My uncle has a shop up here i can ask if he has any. You want more than one box if so?
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Pittsburgh pre-election check in everyone.

How's yinz areas looking? Lots of Joe/Ho out here in my neck of BeavCo
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Pittsburgh pre-election check in everyone.

How's yinz areas looking? Lots of Joe/Ho out here in my neck of BeavCo
View Quote

lots of biden signs in small mill towns, but I drove from Washington county to Elk county last week and its all Trump as soon as you get 1 mile out of this general area
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 8:13:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

lots of biden signs in small mill towns, but I drove from Washington county to Elk county last week and its all Trump as soon as you get 1 mile out of this general area
View Quote

Where at in Elk? I've been to the Medix and Benezette more times than I can remember
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Where at in Elk? I've been to the Medix and Benezette more times than I can remember
View Quote

Well I went to cool spring first, then up to my buds cabin somewhere up between st Mary's and benezette.

Link Posted: 10/31/2020 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Well I went to cool spring first, then up to my buds cabin somewhere up between st Mary's and benezette.

View Quote

Niiiiiice

Btw the avatar change throws me off big time.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top