Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2024 12:46:37 PM EDT
Im sure this has been asked before, so sorry.
I am planning a move to the north of greenville area.
I plan to rent for a year to learn the area deeper.
I have no desire to live in the city limits and just spent a few days in Pumpkintown and I  liked the area but it is a tad farther away then I may want to be.
I liked the area east of Dacusville but the year of renting will allow me some exploration and contemplation.

Is there any major difference to living in Greenville cty vs Pickens cty?
If I get lucky I would like to shoot suppressed on my future property.
Other than that I want 2-5 acres and the ability to have chickens and bees and some relative quiet.

Thanks for any insight.
And no Im not interested in NC and Im not originally from NY or NJ.
Nor CA.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Pickens cty lower taxes. Lower property cost. great sheriff. just further from Cabela's which is in Greenville.

I don't know of any Upstate cty that would prohibit suppressed or auto on YOUR property.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Smokey99:
Pickens cty lower taxes. Lower property cost. great sheriff. just further from Cabela's which is in Greenville.

I don't know of any Upstate cty that would prohibit suppressed or auto on YOUR property.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.
I saw there is a sheriff election for Pickens cty?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#3]
As a former Pickens County resident, I have no problems with saying it's pretty nice over there. With that said, if you live in the northwest areas, it's a long way to a hospital. So far that any trauma patients are routinely transported by medical helicopter. As far as shooting goes, buy well clear of municipalities and you should be okay. HOAs are a problem for guns regardless of where you go. One of the reasons we sold the Pickens County land was that Easley City had sent an annexation notice. My 17 acres was at the edge of it and would have been subject to a doubling of taxes (city and county) and the no firearms discharge ordinance. Yeah I could have licensed a shooting range, but screw it. The guy that bought it is breaking it up into lots.

I'm above Travelers Rest now and it's about the same living experience. Like minded people around because it sounds like Ukraine on the weekends both up and down the street. Mine included of course. It's a long way to the public rifle range, but some public land nearby for hunting. Tall Pines Management Area and Chestnut Ridge, although CR is mostly archery.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By radioshooter:
As a former Pickens County resident, I have no problems with saying it's pretty nice over there. With that said, if you live in the northwest areas, it's a long way to a hospital. So far that any trauma patients are routinely transported by medical helicopter. As far as shooting goes, buy well clear of municipalities and you should be okay. HOAs are a problem for guns regardless of where you go. One of the reasons we sold the Pickens County land was that Easley City had sent an annexation notice. My 17 acres was at the edge of it and would have been subject to a doubling of taxes (city and county) and the no firearms discharge ordinance. Yeah I could have licensed a shooting range, but screw it. The guy that bought it is breaking it up into lots.

I'm above Travelers Rest now and it's about the same living experience. Like minded people around because it sounds like Ukraine on the weekends both up and down the street. Mine included of course. It's a long way to the public rifle range, but some public land nearby for hunting. Tall Pines Management Area and Chestnut Ridge, although CR is mostly archery.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.
Im mostly interested in the areas north of Travelers rest.  I was just concerned about the county differences.
I like the area north of Dacusville hwy in Pickens cty.
But Im also interested in north west of TR.
More there I guess.  

No HOA
5+ acres
Could build if necessary.

I want to be as close to and as far away as possible to Greenville proper.

I saw that Rugged suppressors are in TR.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top