Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2018 4:39:36 AM EDT
Is it me or did Penndot really drop the ball yesterday.  I didn't see any pretreatment anywhere before the storm started in the Harrisburg area.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:07:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I have news for you.
Pre treatment is a really expensive way of buying 1 hour of extra sleep.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:20:06 AM EDT
[#2]
PA has put down pretreatment for less and previous years I would see plow trucks sitting at onramps to the highway ready to roll. I saw none of that and spent most of my day on the road before and during the storm
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:29:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Where I live there's a lot of state roads and they had them all pretreated on Wednesday night however by 4 p.m. Thursday they were pretty much shafted. we never really got ice on Thursday morning, it was all rain Thursday afternoon rain change to snow pretreatment was washed off.

I'm not really a fan of pretreatment programs for the small amount of good it does it really ruins the roads prematurely and everyone's vehicles on top of it.

Local townships do a fantastic job of cleaning roads and they don't sit around on ramps  padding their over time.

PennDOT  employees   do not suck.. PennDOT is severely mismanaged, oh yeah it's state government, free money.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:19:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Here in the Harrisburg area by the time they started working on the highways it was too late and the accidents started racking up, roads through the city were so congested a 15 min drive through the city took well over an hour. Relatively speaking we've been hit worse in previous storms, they just didn't start working on it early enough.  I've seen year after year trucks positioned on 81, 83, and 283 onramps ready and waiting to start cleanup, saw none of that yesterday.  Based on the shit patchwork on the infinite potholes, unending roadwork and seams on new asphalt that rattles your fillings loose, I'll stand by my Penndot sucks statement
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Followed, slowly, a pre-treat truck up 743 from 283 almost to Hershey.

On the way back 743 was closed due to jackknifed trucks in spite to the pre-treat
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:50:04 PM EDT
[#6]
State roads here were pretty good really.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretreatment is a farce. Does a great job of making slush however..
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Never been here for a storm. My typical 20 minute drive took 2 hours on back roads.

My neighbor spent 7 hours on the 78. People slept in their cars...
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I work near Altoona and it took me 2 hours to get home to Windber.  22 was shut down for hours and it was a mess here. I had to sit at work for 2 hours before i could access a road home. If people would be more cautious driving and put decent tires on their cars for winter it would have helped with a lot of the issues.  The roads were shut down due to disabled/wrecked cars which is their fault mostly, but Penddot could have done a much better job clearing the roads as well
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here in the Harrisburg area by the time they started working on the highways it was too late and the accidents started racking up, roads through the city were so congested a 15 min drive through the city took well over an hour. Relatively speaking we've been hit worse in previous storms, they just didn't start working on it early enough.  I've seen year after year trucks positioned on 81, 83, and 283 on ramps ready and waiting to start cleanup, saw none of that yesterday.  Based on the shit patchwork on the infinite potholes, unending roadwork and seams on new asphalt that rattles your fillings loose, I'll stand by my Penndot sucks statement
View Quote
At the time that PennDOT started working on it and had enough to plow etc...  the Governor decided to unleash 15 K non essential employees in Harrisburg on the roadways to go home.  They promptly created grid lock and accidents that then increased the difficulty in PennDOT trying to clear the roadways.   While I agree that PennDOT is mismanaged in numerous areas,  this storm is not all on them.    I think that there are other people to blame for this one too.  Dumping a cities workforce at one time is a recipe for disaster.  Doing it when you realize that a storm is over performing in your area is guaranteed to stop plow trucks while they wait for the accidents to be cleared. Add in trying to plow around abandoned vehicles and the tractor trailers and suddenly pushing a plow truck down the road becomes almost impossible.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#11]
what sucks is idiots in cars that have no clue how to drive in winter weather.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Pre treatment is a waste. Just don't drive like a moron.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Snow #2 for the season is supposed to get here tonight.  Let's see how this one goes...
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Snow #2 for the season is supposed to get here tonight.  Let's see how this one goes...
View Quote
79 north of bridgeville is greasy.
Penndot is out already.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Penndot is out already.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Penndot is out already.
That's about 4 hours west of me.  It's just overcast and cold here.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Penndot and municipal did a fantastic job here in Chester County.  Zero complaints.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Penndot and municipal did a fantastic job here in Chester County.  Zero complaints.
View Quote
We got maybe 2.5" in Lancaster county.  It was still slowly coming down when I went to bed around 230am.  We were out running errands this morning. No complaints!
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#18]
we will see what happens this weekend.  everyone is talking about 8 inches or so.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
we will see what happens this weekend.  everyone is talking about 8 inches or so.
View Quote
That's what she said.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#20]
PennDot is doing a great job cleaning up all the rain we are getting here in SWPA.

Good thing they closed all the interstates to commercial traffic out this way.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Its raining ice here.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:40:44 AM EDT
[#22]
43 and raining here. 1245 am.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:58:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Just raining here too, well north of the city.

Earlier this afternoon the news was apparently tweeting that while they had yet to see snow in the city, it was causing problems north of the city. That was a straight up lie. I was driving through Butler as far north as I-80. At that time, no snow and no road issues.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just raining here too, well north of the city.

Earlier this afternoon the news was apparently tweeting that while they had yet to see snow in the city, it was causing problems north of the city. That was a straight up lie. I was driving through Butler as far north as I-80. At that time, no snow and no road issues.
View Quote
Yeah they screwed the pooch on this prediction.

Little snow on the ground now, WPXI is making a huge deal out of it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#25]
yeap all that salt they threw melted the snow before it even hit the ground.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Bump for the cluster f*@# pendot is causing on I-80 east of 79.  My brother is stuck at a truckstop in Barkyville.
View Quote
Well at least he's at a nice truckstop.

@safe1

whats going on up there?...
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Kiwk Fill I think. I-80 closed east of 79. For a "storm" that is 40+ and rainy.  His company didn't assign a load to him due to closure so there he sits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well at least he's at a nice truckstop.
Kiwk Fill I think. I-80 closed east of 79. For a "storm" that is 40+ and rainy.  His company didn't assign a load to him due to closure so there he sits.
I just found out its supposed to ice up after sundown.  they dont want anyone on the roads.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They closed the roads at 6am this morning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just found out its supposed to ice up after sundown.  they dont want anyone on the roads.
They closed the roads at 6am this morning.
Ohh. I drive too.  this is the first Ive heard of it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#32]
this is a good resource for truckers.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 9:01:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
He's using that site.  It's moot now, his dispatch center is closed til tomorrow.  He won't get a load assignment til tomorrow if they open the roads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
this is a good resource for truckers.
He's using that site.  It's moot now, his dispatch center is closed til tomorrow.  He won't get a load assignment til tomorrow if they open the roads.
yeah.  I dont do OTR but it has to suck waiting when you could be  home
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Supposedly this storm tomorrow is going to be like the one in November.  Hopefully  they don't shit the bed on this one.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I work near Altoona and it took me 2 hours to get home to Windber.  22 was shut down for hours and it was a mess here. I had to sit at work for 2 hours before i could access a road home. If people would be more cautious driving and put decent tires on their cars for winter it would have helped with a lot of the issues.  The roads were shut down due to disabled/wrecked cars which is their fault mostly, but Penddot could have done a much better job clearing the roads as well
View Quote
I work in Windber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top