Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2018 6:00:39 AM EDT

Edited nolocontendere

The Mississippi 18th Infantry Regiment, organized in June, 1861, at Corinth, Mississippi, recruited its members in Yazoo, Coahoma, Madison, De Soto, and Hinds counties. Ordered to Virginia, the unit fought at First Manassas under D.R. Jones, then was engaged at Leesburg. In April, 1862, it contained 684 effectives and served in General Griffith's, Barksdale, and Humphrey's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia. The 18th participated in many campaigns from the Seven Days' Battles to Cold Harbor including the operations at Chickamauga and Knoxville. It went on to fight with Early in the Shenandoah Valley and later around Appomattox. The unit reported 38 casualties at First Manassas, 85 at Leesburg, and 132 at Malvern Hill. Of the 186 engaged at Sharpsburg, forty-three percent were disabled. It had 18 wounded at Fredericksburg, 25 killed and 43 wounded at Chancellorsville, and 18 killed and 82 wounded of the 242 at Gettysburg. Many were captured at Sayler's Creek, and only 4 officers and 44 men surrendered.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Had 3 ancestors in the Burt Rifles; which was ONE Company of the 18th Mississippi.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Had 3 ancestors in the Burt Rifles; which was ONE Company of the 18th Mississippi.
View Quote
Good for you!
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I learn something new everyday! My family was born and raised within 10 miles of the saylers creek battlefield (Farmville, Va). And now I'm in the Mississippi guard. Funny how things happen like that. There is TONS of civil war buffs in that area in Virginia. The last days of the war were hell on both sides.

There's an old building on Main Street in downtown Farmville that everybodies knows as a cannonball hole.  Back then it was a hotel upstairs and a tavern downstairs. The tale is that both commanding officers of the union and confederates had a meeting together in town that night that a skirmish started a mile away. They say the cannon was fired hoping to kill general Grant that night
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Had a GG Grandfather who was with 36th MS mounted infantry.  Fought at Vicksburg.  Copiah county.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 10:37:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool patch.

I had a great great grandfather in the 22nd, out of Iuka. Captured, swore allegiance to the Union, was released, and promptly rejoined his unit, fighting to the end of the war.  

He is buried in Corinth
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I live in Texas now, but my family was confederate as all get out back in the day.

One of my mom’s relatives was a Lt. Col. in the 7th Mississippi Infantry at Shiloh. Their unit flag is hanging in the State House Museum, and is the only rebel flag never officially surrendered to union forces, from what I was able to determine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top