Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2021 9:14:14 PM EDT
So my father calls me today and kinda let's it slip that later this month my parents are closing on a house possibly

The home is in Youngstown, OH and this will be my parent's retirement home

My father said he did alot of research before pulling the trigger but it kinda shocked me that there moving out of state

My parents like most there age dont have alot of money for retirement so there plan is my mother to keep working until 67. While my father (and myself) work on the house until then

Does anyone have ANY info/tips I can pass along to my parents. Remember this is there retirement home so employment isn't an issue

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 12:06:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Topic says "Patents". Maybe change to "Parents".
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 3:22:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 5:37:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you still living with them? Is this there way of telling you that you're moving out?

I kid, I kid.

No real advice to add except Ohio is still part of the USA, we don't bite, and I'm sure they will fit in just fine.

My question for your parents is, why Youngstown? Was your dad in the mob?
View Quote
No I been on my own for the last two years

I think the main reason is because there are "good" homes that are cheap. I believe money is the driving factor

As for Youngstown I have no idea TBH
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Y-town crime rate is icky, but outside towns can be much better.
Depends on where you are moving from and what you are accustomed to...
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Actual Youngstown? Or the surrounding area? Parts of the surrounding Mahoning, Trumbull, and Ashtabula counties are nice. Where in PA are they moving from? I was born and raised in PA but moved to Ohio about a decade ago. It has grown on me and honestly, besides the “mountains” of PA, I prefer just about everything else Ohio over what PA has to offer these days.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Y-town crime rate is icky, but outside towns can be much better.
Depends on where you are moving from and what you are accustomed to...
View Quote
Well they might be going to the eastern side of Youngstown.
Dad grew up outside Lancaster PA (city)
Mom grew up Outside Williamsport PA (city) so there both used to city but have been living in the county for the last 25 ish years
Quoted:
Actual Youngstown? Or the surrounding area? Parts of the surrounding Mahoning, Trumbull, and Ashtabula counties are nice. Where in PA are they moving from? I was born and raised in PA but moved to Ohio about a decade ago. It has grown on me and honestly, besides the "mountains" of PA, I prefer just about everything else Ohio over what PA has to offer these days.
View Quote
It's in Mahoning County

Both lived in North Central PA for most of there lives. They did live in Virginia Beach for a couple of years after they were married but came back. See above post for info

So in Mahoning County there's nothing to worry about?/anything they should know?
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I lived in Mahoning County from 1980-2004.  Best thing ever was moving out and getting all my family members out of there by 2012.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2021 7:33:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Dad did ‘research’ and picked Youngstown?  Is this for real??
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#9]
The surrounding areas can be very nice.  Youngstown is just like every other city. Good areas, bad areas, busy and calm.  Its just all crammed in a tight space.  One or two streets one way or the other makes a BIG difference.  Burned out abandoned crack houses and million dollar homes aren't far apart.  The area around the Covelli center is nice.  Some of the area around the college is really nice too.  Many of the surrounding areas a unbelievably nice.  Boardman, Poland, Canfield, Austintown, all have some very nice areas.  Mill Creek park is truly a gem.  

For flights, you can really shop around, as Cleveland, Akron and Pittsburgh are very similar drives.  

Sharon and Hermitage, Grove City  even norther Pittsburgh shopping centers are quick drives.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I lived in Mahoning County from 1980-2004.  Best thing ever was moving out and getting all my family members out of there by 2012.  

View Quote
Mind sharing the reason you moved out
Quoted:
Dad did 'research' and picked Youngstown?  Is this for real??
View Quote
Yes I'm not BS'ing you
Quoted:
The surrounding areas can be very nice.  Youngstown is just like every other city. Good areas, bad areas, busy and calm.  Its just all crammed in a tight space.  One or two streets one way or the other makes a BIG difference.  Burned out abandoned crack houses and million dollar homes aren't far apart.  The area around the Covelli center is nice.  Some of the area around the college is really nice too.  Many of the surrounding areas a unbelievably nice.  Boardman, Poland, Canfield, Austintown, all have some very nice areas.  Mill Creek park is truly a gem.  

For flights, you can really shop around, as Cleveland, Akron and Pittsburgh are very similar drives.  

Sharon and Hermitage, Grove City  even norther Pittsburgh shopping centers are quick drives.
View Quote
He told me the address and I went on google maps and the neighborhood doesnt look to bad so IDK

I love my parents but I swear they do some stupid shit sometimes
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#11]
If they get homesick PA is just a few minutes away. If they are into shooting the youngstown rifle and pistol club is close. i used to belong and it isn't bad.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mind sharing the reason you moved out
Yes I'm not BS'ing you
He told me the address and I went on google maps and the neighborhood doesnt look to bad so IDK

I love my parents but I swear they do some stupid shit sometimes
View Quote
If I were you I'd make the road trip to come check out the neighborhood.  Dayton has some incredible homes that are also priced quite right.    There's a reason for that.  

I for one love Ohio, but it's two separate states in one.  Youngstown isn't what I'd consider to be in the good segment.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If I were you I'd make the road trip to come check out the neighborhood.  Dayton has some incredible homes that are also priced quite right.    There's a reason for that.  

I for one love Ohio, but it's two separate states in one.  Youngstown isn't what I'd consider to be in the good segment.
View Quote
Is Mahoning County ok?
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why is this bothering you so much?

They are adults, they are free to make their own decisions about where they want to live in retirement.
View Quote
My family has always been close. I understand they are there own people and I guess I just need to get over it

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything horrible in that AO that only the locals know about

Thanks for the replies guys. If you have anything to add let me know
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#16]
The Youngstown area is great and a hell hole.  At the time I left it was a political cesspool of corruption everywhere.  Great pizza and food in pockets, but a lot of don't go there after dark areas.  It's definitely not the best choice of places to live in Ohio.  Not the worst but for me, I'm glad I left.  YMMV
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 11:17:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I understand if you don't want to post the street or the address but a zip code would be nice. The eastern side of Y-town isn't a good sign.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#18]
People don't retire to Youngstown

But good luck to your parents
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I understand if you don't want to post the street or the address but a zip code would be nice. The eastern side of Y-town isn't a good sign.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#20]
That is pretty much the West side. There are still some good areas there and nice neighborhoods.

ETA: I hope they are south of Mahoning ave.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That is pretty much the West side. There are still some good areas there and nice neighborhoods.

ETA: I hope they are south of Mahoning ave.
View Quote
Yes there south of Mahoning Ave.

Sorry about saying there East, was going off the little conversation I had

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top