Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2022 8:46:27 AM EDT
Hello, my KY friends.  My wife and I are looking to buy a little west of Paintsville.  We're planning on a trip down to KY to look at a few places.  No real reason for that area besides prices and a change of scenery.  We love WI but we're willing to relocate.  Can anyone on the east side of the state give me an idea the area's landscape, weather etc?  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots and lots of hills and valleys and trees.

2 lane roads are common and if you're in any kind of hurry to get somewhere, inevitably someone else will not let you.

We just experienced some cold (-5°) that reoccurs every 5-7 years it seems.  Nothing like the -30 or -40 you all saw a few years ago but still very cold.

Paintsville has an apple festival every year but it's been 22 years since I went to one.  The time I did go was because my job took me there for some commercial interior work.

Ky is a beautiful place, and if you like rock climbing or camping, the Red River Gorge is a fantastic place to behold.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 6:54:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lots and lots of hills and valleys and trees.

2 lane roads are common and if you're in any kind of hurry to get somewhere, inevitably someone else will not let you.

We just experienced some cold (-5°) that reoccurs every 5-7 years it seems.  Nothing like the -30 or -40 you all saw a few years ago but still very cold.

Paintsville has an apple festival every year but it's been 22 years since I went to one.  The time I did go was because my job took me there for some commercial interior work.

Ky is a beautiful place, and if you like rock climbing or camping, the Red River Gorge is a fantastic place to behold.
View Quote

Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I own 125 acres in the area. Mostly use it for hunting and messing around on. We live in Indiana full time . Thinking about building a small cabin/house out there this summer .

@usmarine1108 I guess the important questions would be are you retired? If not what do you do/ will you do for income. Jobs especially good jobs are SPARSE in that area . If you’re planning on working remotely high speed internet isn’t a thing in A lot of areas outside of town . Most have satellite or just pair to cell phones. Starlink may be an option tho? But depending on what hill or holler you’re in satellite may be a no go..
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I own 125 acres in the area. Mostly use it for hunting and messing around on. We live in Indiana full time . Thinking about building a small cabin/house out there this summer .

@usmarine1108 I guess the important questions would be are you retired? If not what do you do/ will you do for income. Jobs especially good jobs are SPARSE in that area . If you’re planning on working remotely high speed internet isn’t a thing in A lot of areas outside of town . Most have satellite or just pair to cell phones. Starlink may be an option tho? But depending on what hill or holler you’re in satellite may be a no go..
View Quote

Thanks for the reply.  We decided to stay in WI.  We have an accepted offer on a place up here.  Some land, 4 bed/3 full bath and a 6 car attached pole barn.  Good price too.  Not as cheap as down there, but it'll work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top