Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2020 6:07:36 PM EDT
For any of y’all interested or in need of a license or renewal, several counties have begun taking new applications via appointment only.  Some counties are doing renewals by mail, some counties are not taking renewals, only new applicants. Check your county probate court for specifics. If you are in Gwinnett, they are doing both.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:12:29 AM EDT
[#1]
is there a good way to search for COBB county? I need a new one. Still have TX but would like to get my damn GA.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:33:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
is there a good way to search for COBB county? I need a new one. Still have TX but would like to get my damn GA. 
View Quote

@steviesterno16
https://www.cobbcounty.org/courts/probate-court/weapons-carry-permits
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Springer1911Fan:

@steviesterno16
https://www.cobbcounty.org/courts/probate-court/weapons-carry-permits
View Quote

thanks, couldn't make an appointment until June though. The bastards. Oh well
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Thankfully, I renewed in December before this cluster got rolling. As long as we're back open by 2024 I'm good.

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine is good until Feb '21 hopefully this will all be over by then.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Lumpkin is doing appointments.

I renewed mine last week.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine expired in April and I'm in Fulton county. Wonderful.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By m1garand30064:
Mine expired in April and I'm in Fulton county. Wonderful.
View Quote

@m1garand30064
Check your probate courts website, they added 120 days to your expiration during the judicial emergency.  You may still qualify for a mail in renewal if Fulton is offering that.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Walton County up and going starting today.
Call the Probate Clerks Office (770-267-1345) to set up an appointment for renewal or new WCL.

First day of a “soft opening” of the clerks office is going smooth. ?? However the Charlie Foxtrot is building up.??
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Paulding is not doing appointments, but if you haven't expired, you can fill out the forms ahead of time at the probate court website and just show up, pay and get new picture taken.

Mine was expired so had to do the paperwork there and apparently hit the window perfectly because I was in and out in under 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I missed the extension deadline by 2 days. Had to do prints and everything.  Glad I was keeping an eye on Gwinnett’s appointment calendar, I did mine this morning, in and out in 15 min.  Now they’re booked through the middle of June.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Columbia county restarted processing applications on 5/14. I filled out the online app a few day ago. Gotta get by there on Friday.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I have until the fall.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#14]
There was no line here in Columbia county this morning. I was there less than 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@m1garand30064
Check your probate courts website, they added 120 days to your expiration during the judicial emergency.  You may still qualify for a mail in renewal if Fulton is offering that.
View Quote

Thank you! Knowing Fulton county they will make it as difficult as possible.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Got mine in 13 days, not too bad.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Got mine in 13 days, not too bad.
View Quote

Glad to see some are getting a quick turn around. Still waiting for Gwinnett.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks Springer1911!   I wouldn't have known about Cobb opening up.

My daughter applied today.  The courthouse was empty.   We zipped in, zipped down to fingerprinting, and then we were done.    Less than 15 mins total.  

She's been bubbly and happy all day about the experience.    

I did have to burst her vibe slightly.  I explained that asking the government for permission to exercise a right is tyranny.  

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine expires this month, I went to the probate court and renewed it today, we exchanged a few emails to get the paperwork done, they met me at the door, went in, took the oath, paid my money and left. All in for about 30 minutes total at the court.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll be able to renew July 1st.  Anyone renew in Fulton county? Do they really make you go to a police station for a background check and pay an extra fee?
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Taylor county is in person only and by appointment
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Renewed mine Friday morning in Banks county. You have to call them ahead of time and make an appointment. Seems to be a much slicker process now. All digital except for 10 yes/no questions.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Forsyth county renewal is in-person only. You can call and get the form mailed in advance, but you still need to go in. I went in this morning at 9 and was the only customer there; no waiting, in and out. They did take a new picture, and said it would be a couple weeks before I get the card due to heavy load. They printed a paper 90-day temporary for me ( for an extra dollar), but not sure if the gun store will take that in lieu of NICS. ETA: yes, they will.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I always do mine the week of thanksgiving. Never busy in Sandy Springs that week. Not a single person there but the County workers.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#25]
I live in Atlanta/Sandy Springs, so I am using at the North Fulton Annex.

My permit expired in late May, so I have no choice, but to wait.  I tried to renew in early Feb, but they said I was too early.... Then COVID-19 hit, and the shutdowns..

I took the day off knowing the bastion of civil service and efficiency that Fulton County is.  The office opens at 8:30, so I arrived at 8:00 and was number 34 in line.  They are taking about 6 people an hour.  So I expect to be here all freaking day. I am not sure if I will have to get re-fingerprinted as technically, my permit has expired, but the governor issued an extension.  

Regardless Fulton County is an all day affair at this time.  So if you need to get a permit. get here no later than 7:30..., maybe even 7:00
Bring a book or 3, an Ipad, Iphone with either extra battery or charger.  
Bring food... you will be here all day.

I will update with wait times when/if I ever leave.

****** UPDATE****** from the time I entered the Fulton County Annex,  to the time I left to go to Sandy Springs PD, was about 6 hours... Hopefully it will get better.  Nothing like burning a vacation day on something you should be able to do during lunch time....

Link Posted: 7/13/2020 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Taylor county in person renewal, then they mail the renewal permit. In office less than 20 minutes, no wait. 2-3 weeks, new license arrived
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I live in Atlanta/Sandy Springs, so I am using at the North Fulton Annex.

My permit expired in late May, so I have no choice, but to wait.  I tried to renew in early Feb, but they said I was too early.... Then COVID-19 hit, and the shutdowns..

I took the day off knowing the bastion of civil service and efficiency that Fulton County is.  The office opens at 8:30, so I arrived at 8:00 and was number 34 in line.  They are taking about 6 people an hour.  So I expect to be here all freaking day. I am not sure if I will have to get re-fingerprinted as technically, my permit has expired, but the governor issued an extension.  

Regardless Fulton County is an all day affair at this time.  So if you need to get a permit. get here no later than 7:30..., maybe even 7:00
Bring a book or 3, an Ipad, Iphone with either extra battery or charger.  
Bring food... you will be here all day.

I will update with wait times when/if I ever leave.

****** UPDATE****** from the time I entered the Fulton County Annex,  to the time I left to go to Sandy Springs PD, was about 6 hours... Hopefully it will get better.  Nothing like burning a vacation day on something you should be able to do during lunch time....

View Quote

I'm a Roswell resident. Should I use the North Fulton Annex? I'm worried about the affidavit part. Which police department can I bring it to? I tried calling and asking and the wonderful civil servants on the phone only said to come in and they would give me more information then. Thanks a lot.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 6:57:43 AM EDT
[#28]
For a renewal, you still have to have a background check, just no prints...  They seem pretty set in their ways, as I listened to a conversation with some guy who lived in Milton. The person at the Annex, stated that Alpharetta and Sandy Springs PD, are only doing prints and background checks for residents, and all others have to go downtown...

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 7:16:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
For a renewal, you still have to have a background check, just no prints...  They seem pretty set in their ways, as I listened to a conversation with some guy who lived in Milton. The person at the Annex, stated that Alpharetta and Sandy Springs PD, are only doing prints and background checks for residents, and all others have to go downtown...

View Quote

Why the hell could they not just tell me that on the phone? I directly asked that question and they refused to answer. Infuriating.

ETA: Thank you for the intel.  I'll hold my nose and go to the downtown location.  You saved me a bunch of time.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Did anyone go to downtown Atlanta to get fingerprints done? How was it?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Did anyone go to downtown Atlanta to get fingerprints done? How was it?
View Quote

Last time I did it it was a joy.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#32]
When was that? How long did it take? Hear the lines are pretty long. Also with all the unrest, wondering if it is safe to go there. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:51:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
When was that? How long did it take? Hear the lines are pretty long. Also with all the unrest, wondering if it is safe to go there. Thanks!
View Quote

It was over five years ago. I can't remember exactly how long it took but it was a while.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#34]
So I just renewed mine this morning at the downtown Fulton County Courthouse.

I took MARTA, arrived at 7:40.  I was the fifth person in line.  They make you wait outside until the open the building at 8:30.  After going through security I made my way to the probate court.  They make you sign in.  I waited about 20 minutes before my name was called.  I had prefilled and printed the application online, but it still took about 15 minutes to fill in the other paperwork they had, pay $32 (cash or credit), and get my picture taken.  I then was given a form to take across the street to the police station.  I was second in line there, I had to fill out another brief form, go to the clerk, present my receipt from the probate court along with the form provided by the probate court, the newly filled form given to me at the police station, and $5 (cash only).  I was out the door at 9:34.  

It is a very slow operation.  Definitely get there early because when I left the probate court at 9 the line was already daunting.  

It really sucks that Roswell residents have to go all the way downtown to do this instead of going to the North Fulton Service Center.
Top Top