Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2024 5:02:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rev_FNG]
Sold a car over the weekend and it is in MVD title limbo.

AZMVD does not issue paper titles anymore.  They are E-titles, you need an account on https://azmvdnow.gov/ to transfer.  Here is the messed up part.

If you live outside of the emissions testing zones and are exempt; The transfer will fail, if the buyer is located within the government greenzones and the vehicle does not have an up to date inspection. Out of state buyer is screwed.

Solutions:

Spend the $4 and have a paper title mailed to the house, like right now.

Quick sell? Per MVD human, fill out form 38-1306, print, notarize and hand to buyer.  Buyer gets to f' with the MVD

Form Link
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:50:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#1]
I have a paper title issued within the last 6 months.  When did this start?

I also know that you don't need to notarize a paper title when selling anymore. (AZ)

I have sold two in the past couple months and have heard of no issues from the buyers.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Rev_FNG:
Sold a car over the weekend and it is in MVD title limbo.

AZMVD does not issue paper titles anymore.  They are E-titles, you need an account on https://azmvdnow.gov/ to transfer.  Here is the messed up part.

If you live outside of the emissions testing zones and are exempt; The transfer will fail, if the buyer is located within the government greenzones and the vehicle does not have an up to date inspection. Out of state buyer is screwed.

Solutions:

Spend the $4 and have a paper title mailed to the house, like right now.

Quick sell? Per MVD human, fill out form 38-1306, print, notarize and hand to buyer.  Buyer gets to f' with the MVD

Form Link
View Quote

For sure. I enjoy horse trading bikes and the first time a seller mentioned some BS about how he didnt have a title but would just release it online I thought for sure it was a scam.

Easily rectified though. Like you said, as soon as your vehicle shows up in your name on the MVD website you can request the paper title.

Silly changes on the MVDs part IMHO
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 5:27:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rev_FNG] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wildearp:
I have a paper title issued within the last 6 months.  When did this start?  As of April 1, 2020, the Arizona Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) will no longer mail paper titles

I also know that you don't need to notarize a paper title when selling anymore. (AZ)  True, that what my notary said as well

I have sold two in the past couple months and have heard of no issues from the buyers.
View Quote

Electronic Titles (No more paper)
Electronic Titles Are Here—Safe, Secure, Convenient:
No more paper

When you title or register a vehicle in Arizona, your title information is stored electronically and you no longer automatically receive a paper title. You can view your title information in your AZ MVD Now account. Similarly, when you pay off a vehicle loan, the title will be held electronically.

If a paper title is needed, for reasons such as moving out of state, you can use the Title Replacement service on AZ MVD Now. The fee is $4.

Linky

Bought this car last year and was an E-title.  Looking back, it went smoothly since we live in the same community and out of the emissions zone. Clicked a few buttons, paid the fees online and had a paper temp plate as soon as I printed it off. I assumed it would go as smooth this round. It did not.

Current registration for E-title transfer warning.  Plates expired last month,  $30 later to jump through that warning and not refundable.
Next warning to proceed with E-title transfer.  Needs emissions test.   It clearly says on all my MVD information I am exempt.  This is where I found their disclaimer of if "Buyer is in an emission zone, it is on the seller to complete this task"
Buyer moved farther south than me and updated his domicile address.  He called them to have verify his information and hit the "exempt" button. MVD Karen, contradicted everything published as well as the ADEQ zone maps and stated that he was not exempt and still needed to have an inspection.

Poop

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like they purposely found a way to make you need to give them 4 dollars to easily sell and buy a vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:50:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Bought a truck in Feb, got paper title a month later
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I paid for all the paper  titles for this exact reason. I didn’t want to hassle with electronic
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top