Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2022 10:04:28 PM EDT
Hey chums.  I’ve been in contact with a gentleman who has a rifle I’d like to buy.  He’s not too keen on shipping it, so I’m thinking about making the trip from PA to buy face-to-face.  Couldn’t find a clear-cut answer googling it so I was wondering what the process would be in your state for the sale/transfer to me being out of state.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey chums.  I’ve been in contact with a gentleman who has a rifle I’d like to buy.  He’s not too keen on shipping it, so I’m thinking about making the trip from PA to buy face-to-face.  Couldn’t find a clear-cut answer googling it so I was wondering what the process would be in your state for the sale/transfer to me being out of state.

Thanks
View Quote

Technically you cannot buy a firearm via private sale out of state unless you have a FFL or C&R and the firearm meets the guidelines of a C&R firearm.

You can buy a rifle from a FFL out of state but not via private sales.

No doubt people do it but it is not allowed
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can buy a rifle from a FFL out of state but not via private sales.
View Quote

I suppose he could meet the seller at a FFL and do a transfer there.  Then it shouldn't matter that he's buying from a private seller if it goes through a FFL.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#3]
That’s what I wasn’t sure about.  Didn’t know if an FFL could do an in person transfer, or would I have to meet him at an FFL and have it shipped to my local back home.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That’s what I wasn’t sure about.  Didn’t know if an FFL could do an in person transfer, or would I have to meet him at an FFL and have it shipped to my local back home.
View Quote

either way works.

When I worked as a counter monkey, I could sell long guns to PA residents via 4473.  You might have to wait in case of a delay but that's part of the process whether it is done here in Ky or at your LGS in PA.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

either way works.

When I worked as a counter monkey, I could sell long guns to PA residents via 4473.  You might have to wait in case of a delay but that's part of the process whether it is done here in Ky or at your LGS in PA.
View Quote

Ok cool.  I might call a store down there just to double check.  I’m hoping he’ll change his mind and ship to save me the drive, but worst case it’ll be a trip to check out some sights while I’m down there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top