Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2018 4:05:27 PM EDT
All the talk about the gun laws, there are plenty of other bills the state legislature is working on right now.

https://fox8.com/2018/12/07/ohio-senate-passes-bill-requiring-students-to-learn-cursive-writing

It's a shame the government (especially the state government) has anything to do with schools. A local district should make its own curriculum decisions based on the values of the local community that attends (of course, local schools should be funded by the local community, not the whole state).

Passing the house and senate I'll assume it will become law.

Thank goodness the bills to require schools to start after Labor Day died in committees.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I love writing in cursive but I don't think it's an essential skill by any means.  Frankly, the kids need basic keyboarding classes.  My students don't know how the shift key works, a kid just asked me how to make a + sign, and they don't how the tab key works.  They can't type.

It's crazy how we don't TEACH them HOW to use a computer given that every kid has their own Chromebook and so much of the curriculum is web or computer-based.  "Keyboarding" was a high-school class when I was a student and we did it on typewriters but given that all the state tests are done on computer now keyboarding should be a Kindergarten class but there's no curriculum for computer skills.

Cursive is a waste of time given the other demands.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I disagree on cursive -- students should know how to write like an adult. Millennials these days have handwriting that looks like little kid printing.

I do agree that typing should be a required class - I took typing in middle school. Although I cut my teeth on AOL Instant Messenger...kids these days will never know that.

However, I fully support a local district deciding what they want to do.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#3]
We have been homeschooling our oldest this year since he missed the kindergarten cutoff by a week. He is learning cursive, and is pretty darn good at it, even if it won't be used in the public school system.

I remember there was a cursive vs. printing argument when I started school. I don't think the argument is ever going away, but I do believe the districts need to be able to make their own decisions.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Local districts deciding on large curriculum decisions is not practical.  Have you ever seen who gets elected to local school boards?  Tow truck drivers, secretaries, bank tellers, an occaisional small business owner.  These folks are not qualified to decide on curriculums and most don't have degrees.

As to starting after labor day?  We did when I was a kid and it worked out just fine.
View Quote
Sounds like leftists and governance.

And I think starting after Labor Day is just fine, but I don't think it's fine for lawmakers in Columbus to tell a district what their operating hours must be.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top