Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2022 4:06:23 PM EDT
Do the shows usually happen over the lake (Winnebago)?  Would hanging out at High Cliff state park be a good place to watch?
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#1]
You may see some flights over there bu the shows are targeted for the main runway.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Do the shows usually happen over the lake (Winnebago)?  Would hanging out at High Cliff state park be a good place to watch?
View Quote

I don't think you are going to see much of anything aircraft-wise from High Cliff. The airshows happen over the airfield/southern end of the city and seaplanes are also docked south of the city.

Enjoy the park for what it is though. Its a fun place to hike around.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#3]
If you've never been there it's worth the ticket. So many cool old warbirds.
The airshow is over the runway.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Poor place to watch unless you have a monster telescope to see Oshkosh from 25 miles away.  Park at the Whitmann Field Terminal on the north edge of the airport.  Or a side street if the lot is full, and bring some lawn chairs up to the fence.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#5]
We used to camp on the grounds - Pauls Park - for 20+ years for the whole show, but when Paul left and the thing became all about money, we quit going.  I was flying and working on a plane back then, so my interest was was quite a bit bit heightened.  War birds are the big draw now whereas it used to be primarily about homebuilts and was a lot more family oriented.  Now it's all about big buck planes you could never afford.  That said, if you haven't been, there's a lot to see in a day or 2.  When we were there, I'd watch the first air show, then use that time to hit showers when everyone was at the show.  Some people now go just for the concerts.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info. Just wanted to know if I could see the cool stuff from the north side of lake while avoiding crowds.
Did see a semi formation of Piper Cubs today.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Use google maps and find side roads east of the runway. Park on the side of the road and enjoy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top