Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2020 3:45:28 PM EDT
Gotigers' minions will be in Orange Beach for the last week in May for vacation. The usual questions.

Any good gun or knife related places that are cool? Ranges, shops, etc.

Can anyone suggest a fishing charter? With the wu flu going on, i dont want to be on a party boat or partial charter. So, deep sea might be too expensive by myself. Is tidal fishing any good there? Any good tidal charters?

Other suggestions for things to do will be welcome.

I see the gun permit link at the top and will read it. Are there any gun laws i need to be particular interested in?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I go inshore fishing through Zeke’s Marina, have always had a good time and caught plenty.

They’ll filet the catch out for you and even cook it for your dinner that night if you want.

Are you coming down I-65 or I-59 from Tennessee?

If you come through Huntsville, you can go to Larry’s.

Some people like Hoover Tactical in the Birmingham metro area, I’ve had really bad service and average service.

Y’all have fun.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Zeke’s Marina is very close. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:55:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Don’t forget the Drum!
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to Pensacola and spend a day, yes the whole day, at the naval museum.

Take the time to ride the ferry to dolphin island and go to fort gaines
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CKyleC:
Go to Pensacola and spend a day, yes the whole day, at the naval museum.

Take the time to ride the ferry to dolphin island and go to fort gaines
View Quote

You could also look at the Blue Angels’ schedule to see if they’ll be practicing while you’re there.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#8]
The navy museum is great, but I think they tightened the restrictions on access to Pensacola NAS after the shooting.

Check before you leave.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#9]
First time for me at Orange Beach. Beautiful beaches, great soft powdery sand with clear water. 95% of businesses are open with little restrictions.

I will get out more later in the week, but i did find a knife shop, Blade Brothers EDC on perdido beach blvd near Rouses Market. They have some good new knives, older case and some co consignment  knives.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:28:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
First time for me at Orange Beach. Beautiful beaches, great soft powdery sand with clear water. 95% of businesses are open with little restrictions.

I will get out more later in the week, but i did find a knife shop, Blade Brothers EDC on perdido beach blvd near Rouses Market. They have some good new knives, older case and some co consignment  knives.
View Quote

Glad to hear almost everything is open.

We're headed down Sunday. I hope the crowds thin a bit
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#12]
The fishing on Gulf State Park Pier is awesome this time of year.

Cobalt is a great restaurant with an awesome view.

Tacky Jacks in Orange Beach.

FloraBama, great beach / dive bar.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#13]
The pier website says they're closed for renovations.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The pier website says they're closed for renovations.
View Quote

It's not a long drive over to the Pensacola pier if you like to fish.

Also I think the fishing deck below the Perdido Pass bridge is open.  I've caught some good fish there also.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#15]
another +1 for zekes.
and WDE
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Due to mostly weather, closures and such, i didnt get to go fishing, but the trip was great.

As i said above, most places are open with little restrictions on capacity. The only place that wasnt taking eat in customers was Dairy Queen. My daughter was fine with a blizzard from drive thru.

I was surprised at the amount of good restaurants and good prices. I was expecting to be broke after eating. We grilled out a couple of nights, but part of our vacation is always eating out.

"Louisiana Lagniappe" was very good. I had a huge tuna steak that was as fresh and tasty as i have ever had. My wife had a fantastic stuffed grouper. I usually hate stuffed fish, but it was good.  This was the night out for my wife and i. We ate for $90 after appetizers, tip and all.  

"Live Bait" looks like a road house, but had damn good food. I had damn good sea scallops, others had Mahi-mahi and Red Drum. All were fantastic and 4 of us ate for $80.

The "Shrimp Basket" was a great value. Huge portions and was a damn fine meal. I had the big fried platter and my family got a shrimp boil. The shrimp boil was huge. 4 ate for $70.

For a change of pace we ate Italian one night at "Ole Franco's Italian". Nice little place with good food. I had a damn good Grouper. 4 of us ate for $60.

We stayed at the Phoenix IV on the second floor. The 6 nights in season was $1800. Big rooms and was very comfy. The building was very nice directly on the beach with great access to the beach.  The only negative was there were no bars or eateries close enough to walk to. I like condos and hotels with a bar. However, we had plenty of drink.  I like this building alot and one reason was that we were a quarter mile from each of the big towers, so our beach was not very crowded. Indoor and outdoor pools, exercise area was nice but closed for covid.

Overall, a great place. Probably my second favorite. I still like the small village style areas over big condos, but i will happily go back to Orange Beach.

Edit: i did pick up few knives at Blade Brothers EDC. I got a couple Opinels and a ZT 0566.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Glad to hear Gulf Shores / Perdido Key is open for business. We're going down the week after the 4th. It's great I won't be stuck in the parking lot waiting for people to leave a restaurant so we can go in and wait to be seated, order, more waiting. With a 5 year old, a pregnant daughter and assorted other passengers. In July. Sounds like it will be the typical bumper to bumper traffic, Louisiana coonasses and their boomboxes on the beach, unintended sunburn, everyone whining when we have to leave, normal trip. I can't wait!
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:58:11 AM EDT
[#18]
We went down for a week to Perdido Key before the crowds arrived.

Lillians makes some great pizza and if you’re in the mood for some tasty sushi but don’t mind a wait try The Jellyfish.

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm down here now, on the west end. It's more crowded down here than I'm used to, but it makes sense. What better way to spend those Trump bucks than by going to the beach for a few days after being inside for so long

OP, next time down try Pappa Rocco's if y'all like pizza and oysters. It's a favorite of ours, along with a couple of the places you mentioned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top