Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2023 11:28:59 AM EDT
Any of you guys used to work there or have family that did? I'd be interested in hearing any stories or sharing some of my own. Alot of it is gone but there are still a few buildings left. I've tore a good bit of them down if anyone has any questions.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I grew up in the area and later policed it. It and Goodyear were the places many men wanted to work. Before I got into law enforcement I tried to get a job at the steel plant but had no luck, wound up working at Goodyear for a few years. I remember going to Gulfsteel YMCA throughout my youth, playing on the basketball team there, so many great memories. When I started work for Gadsden Police Dept. , that was part of my beat. It was an area dear to my heart and the memories are thick. Like everything else that I grew up around and enjoyed, has vanished. After tear down, I had to patrol inside when security would call about copper thieves inside the perimeter. Had some foot pursuits in there.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I grew up in the area and later policed it. It and Goodyear were the places many men wanted to work. Before I got into law enforcement I tried to get a job at the steel plant but had no luck, wound up working at Goodyear for a few years. I remember going to Gulfsteel YMCA throughout my youth, playing on the basketball team there, so many great memories. When I started work for Gadsden Police Dept. , that was part of my beat. It was an area dear to my heart and the memories are thick. Like everything else that I grew up around and enjoyed, has vanished. After tear down, I had to patrol inside when security would call about copper thieves inside the perimeter. Had some foot pursuits in there.
View Quote

If that was in the past 10 years I'm almost positive we have met. We still have to call sometimes. About all the copper is gone but lately we've had so many professional homeless coming in. They usually steal tools or squat in the brick building out front and trash it
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been retired about 11 years now and miss it very much, even though I got into quite a bit while policing the area, it was something I would do all over again, I grew up in Alabama City close to the Attalla line and played ball and ran around all that area, Walnut Park, South Gadsden, the whole deal. When I got enough police seniority and could choose my beat, I jumped at it. Heck, I would have worked it for nothing, it was home.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have been retired about 11 years now and miss it very much, even though I got into quite a bit while policing the area, it was something I would do all over again, I grew up in Alabama City close to the Attalla line and played ball and ran around all that area, Walnut Park, South Gadsden, the whole deal. When I got enough police seniority and could choose my beat, I jumped at it. Heck, I would have worked it for nothing, it was home.
View Quote

Let me know if you ever want to come out for a ride around. I'm not sure if your still close but pretty much any weekday before 3 I'm here.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Appreciate it, so many good times and memories. I miss it so much, probably would still be doing it but my body is worn out from 3 knee operations, 2 total replacements, my hearing pretty much gone due to lots of shooting, unable to hear normal conversation now. Playing ball all my early years took a toll also. Have been living in Southside for over 30 years, but that area owns my roots.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Appreciate it, so many good times and memories. I miss it so much, probably would still be doing it but my body is worn out from 3 knee operations, 2 total replacements, my hearing pretty much gone due to lots of shooting, unable to hear normal conversation now. Playing ball all my early years took a toll also. Have been living in Southside for over 30 years, but that area owns my roots.
View Quote

My boss lives in Southside. He's worked at this place since the 60s. And don't worry about not hearing, my dad worked in steel mills and on flight decks... I'm used to yelling haha. Seriously come out some time. Open invite
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you brother.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 12:14:46 AM EDT
[#8]
One of my maternal great-grandfathers (Pop) worked there when it was Republic Steel, starting in the early 1920s and retiring from it in the late 1940s or early 1950s. Pop was a WW1 infantry veteran, got gassed late in the war and suffered lung damage, so heavy physical labor was out of the question, but he was really smart in math and business in general. Pop was employed in the business office, not quite sure how, but my grandmother and mother said he would deliver payroll (cash) out to different sections in the steel plant. He carried a S&W .32 revolver in his coat pocket when making a payroll run, and wasn't afraid to use it. I still have that particular pistol. Pop could also speak fluent German. When he was in WW1, he often interrogated German POWs. In a funny sort of way, there were a lot of German-speaking workers at the steel plant while he was there, and he loosely associated with them. When he died, my great-grandmother got a nice sympathy card from the FBI office in Birmingham. It seems Pop was keeping tabs on the German-speakers in the plant during WW2 for possible Nazi sympathies or other issues, but never told his family that he was doing it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One of my maternal great-grandfathers (Pop) worked there when it was Republic Steel, starting in the early 1920s and retiring from it in the late 1940s or early 1950s. Pop was a WW1 infantry veteran, got gassed late in the war and suffered lung damage, so heavy physical labor was out of the question, but he was really smart in math and business in general. Pop was employed in the business office, not quite sure how, but my grandmother and mother said he would deliver payroll (cash) out to different sections in the steel plant. He carried a S&W .32 revolver in his coat pocket when making a payroll run, and wasn't afraid to use it. I still have that particular pistol. Pop could also speak fluent German. When he was in WW1, he often interrogated German POWs. In a funny sort of way, there were a lot of German-speaking workers at the steel plant while he was there, and he loosely associated with them. When he died, my great-grandmother got a nice sympathy card from the FBI office in Birmingham. It seems Pop was keeping tabs on the German-speakers in the plant during WW2 for possible Nazi sympathies or other issues, but never told his family that he was doing it.
View Quote

Wow that is pretty fascinating. I do know they made a lot of barbed wire and nails for shrapnel for the wars made there...I never thought about the spy angle but that makes sense. Speaking of payroll the coolest thing I found out there was an old Burroughs adding machine. It weighs about 60lbs. It looks like a glass and iron cash register. Very complicated sets of gears inside it. From the serial number Ive narrowed down it's from between 1911-1914. Adds up to 7 figures. Cool to think that's probably what counted the money your great grandfather delivered
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 1:59:24 PM EDT
[#10]
That is the area we call the Flatwoods. It is a known cancer cluster due to the biproducts of the steel manufacturing. My wife and her family grew up there.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#11]
It shut down in the late 80s and the neighborhood went down hill. Goodyear recently shit down and Gadsden’s a ghost town now.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It shut down in the late 80s and the neighborhood went down hill. Goodyear recently shit down and Gadsden’s a ghost town now.
View Quote

It closed in August of 2000 I believe
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Goodyear completely shut down in ‘20 or ‘21. All remaining employees at that time were bought out.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Goodyear completely shut down in ‘20 or ‘21. All remaining employees at that time were bought out.
View Quote

Yep, worked there for a few years before I got into law enforcement.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah. One of the companies that scrapped some of it had it hauled out to the steel mill to process it. The mill didn't close in the 80s however.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Must have been the late 90s then. I just remember it closing  throughout my youth some time.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Must have been the late 90s then. I just remember it closing  throughout my youth some time.
View Quote

It was August 2000. The same people owned the plant my dad worked at in Ohio. They closed a week apart. The execs got golden parachutes and fucked the workers. My dad lost everything. I think he had almost 250k in stocks and the different incentives. He got a check for about 50 cents. He thumb tacked it on the bulletin board as he walked out
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It was August 2000. The same people owned the plant my dad worked at in Ohio. They closed a week apart. The execs got golden parachutes and fucked the workers. My dad lost everything. I think he had almost 250k in stocks and the different incentives. He got a check for about 50 cents. He thumb tacked it on the bulletin board as he walked out
View Quote

Yep, a lot of my friend’s parents worked there as I was growing up. They screwed all their workers over and polluted the area.  It’s sad. With the steel plant and Goodyear shut down now, Gadsden has no future.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 5:35:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yep, a lot of my friend’s parents worked there as I was growing up. They screwed all their workers over and polluted the area.  It’s sad. With the steel plant and Goodyear shut down now, Gadsden has no future.
View Quote

You're right man. Closings like that cripple an area. Factories close, pawn shops and liquor stores multiply. Area has been bad enough lately with the professional homeless encroaching.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You're right man. Closings like that cripple an area. Factories close, pawn shops and liquor stores multiply. Area has been bad enough lately with the professional homeless encroaching.
View Quote

I live in the Southside/Rainbow City areas, but went to Gadsden High when it was open.  My wife went to Jessie Dean, where Gadsden City now stands.  It's changed a lot.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Apparently the same investment company that bought the Russell plant in Wetumpka a while back has also purchased the Goodyear plant in Gadsden.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I live in the Southside/Rainbow City areas, but went to Gadsden High when it was open.  My wife went to Jessie Dean, where Gadsden City now stands.  It's changed a lot.
View Quote

Indeed it has sir. That area (Alabama City) has my roots. I have lived in Southside since 1986 but still policed South Gadsden, Walnut Park and Alabama City up until I retired. It was home and I was lucky enough to work it for many years.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Indeed it has sir. That area (Alabama City) has my roots. I have lived in Southside since 1986 but still policed South Gadsden, Walnut Park and Alabama City up until I retired. It was home and I was lucky enough to work it for many years.
View Quote

You still in Gadsden?
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:28:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Apparently the same investment company that bought the Russell plant in Wetumpka a while back has also purchased the Goodyear plant in Gadsden.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with it.
View Quote

To add a little positive news there are companies in the steel plant that are hiring. One company is small and cleans out RR tanker cars, another company fabs large diameter pipe and they are pretty good size. Currently another company just rented one of our larger mill buildings and are going to make ceramic refractory type stuff so at least there are some business being added to the area.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You still in Gadsden?
View Quote

Been retired several years from Gadsden PD. Have lived in Southside since 1986. Grew up in Alabama City for approx. 22 years.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Family and I bought a house in Southside too in the Green Mountain area.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Family and I bought a house in Southside too in the Green Mountain area.
View Quote

We are just off Fowler Ferry Rd.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Damn what a small world lol!
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Indeed it is sir.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Indeed it is sir.
View Quote

Thank you for your service to our community!
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm sitting by black creek as I type this. Us 3 are literally about 10 min from each other haha
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm sitting by black creek as I type this. Us 3 are literally about 10 min from each other haha
View Quote

Yep, we have the watch. The grid is secure.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Maybe we can all meet up for lunch/dinner one weekend. I’ve already met the infamous @bama-shooter.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yep, we have the watch. The grid is secure.
View Quote

I only have my 365xl on me so I'm depending on you or cubie for overwatch if shit hits the fan
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Maybe we can all meet up for lunch/dinner one weekend. I’ve already met the infamous @bama-shooter.
View Quote

That would be cool man. I'm down. Also the offer to come out and see the plant is extended to you as well. If ur interested or want to plan a lunch sometime just PM me and I'll give you my number and we can figure something out sometime
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes sir. It is hard for me to get out and about much, we have 2 handicapped in the house, one is my son who is 38 years old autistic. We had to take in my wife's elderly sister who is mentally retarded (mind of a 1 year old). I have to do pretty much everything else while my wife has to take care of them (meds and stuff). I had a more relaxing time policing and tactical team than I do at home most of the time. Where I go now, they have to go, it is an ordeal at times.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That would be cool man. I'm down. Also the offer to come out and see the plant is extended to you as well. If ur interested or want to plan a lunch sometime just PM me and I'll give you my number and we can figure something out sometime
View Quote

I live in Southside but commute to Bham every day. No money to be made in Etowah county.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I live in Southside but commute to Bham every day. No money to be made in Etowah county.
View Quote

I live in Albertville but have worked at the old plant for about 10yrs. I don't get benefits but my hourly rate is pretty good for this area. I could make a lot more with my experience but it would require being on the road all the time. I wanted to get away from that when my daughter was born. I wanted to be there for the first steps and school plays more than I wanted better money. It's a struggle at times but worth it to me. I'm pretty free on weekends so I'm cool with coming back down this way and meeting up and grabbing a steak and a beer
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I only have my 365xl on me so I'm depending on you or cubie for overwatch if shit hits the fan
View Quote

We need to build a mutual assistance group with all of us local folks. We kinda need to look out for each other in this crazy world we live in.

Of course, where I work, I’m required to carry at all times. I work in a rough part of Bham.

We go shoot at the Etowah county Sheriff’s range in Owls Hollow, so y’all hit me up if you ever wanna go.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Y’all know where this is at?

Wife, youngest son, and I are training for the Barbarian Challenge in June.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:59:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

We need to build a mutual assistance group with all of us local folks. We kinda need to look out for each other in this crazy world we live in.

Of course, where I work, I’m required to carry at all times. I work in a rough part of Bham.

https://i.imgur.com/m4CBQcE.jpg

We go shoot at the Etowah county Sheriff’s range in Owls Hollow, so y’all hit me up if you ever wanna go.
View Quote

During rare times when I can go shoot, I go to Owl's Hollow also. I do not have access to PD range now, being retired. I have to take my bunch with me, we only have one vehicle, since we are both retired.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

During rare times when I can go shoot, I go to Owl's Hollow also. I do not have access to PD range now, being retired. I have to take my bunch with me, we only have one vehicle, since we are both retired.
View Quote

Hit me up next time ya go. We love meeting new folks!
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/m4CBQcE.jpg

View Quote

I'd be interested. I need a place to shoot. I don't do it near enough. I shoot a little at my house but not much. Mainly because it scares my dogs and we are in the grey area of city limits. The few neighbors I have shoot as well but it's not really an atmosphere conducive to practicing.

I agree with looking out for each other. Part of the reason I like this area and moved back here. Reminds me of the small communities with good, like minded folks that I grew up around up North.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes sir.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#46]
I’m shooting at Owls Hollow in the morning if any of y’all wanna go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top