Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2020 10:14:42 AM EDT
News

Why do the EPA and Congress need to approve?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Crazy, I didn’t know Ohio even did e checks still
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:13:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Crazy, I didn’t know Ohio even did e checks still
View Quote
Just Cleveland and surrounding counties anymore.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, please get rid of that boondoggle. I hate it with a passion.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I had never heard of it until I moved to summit county from NW Ohio, I hate it already what a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I had never heard of it until I moved to summit county from NW Ohio, I hate it already what a pain in the ass.
View Quote
PIA back in mid-90's when cars had some adjustments..  we sneaked 1 through with load of almost straight methanol to get it through for a customer,, car was piece of crap..

Anymore, with computer running everything, self tests completed, and no MIL,,  station should ideally pug into DLC, run inspect in CARB OBD-II,, find no DTC's (0),, and Readiness Tests complete,, you should PASS on spot and be on your way

DO NOT disconnect battery or arbitrarilly scan and clear if nothing was lit up in first place,, that will wipe out Readiness Tests being complete,, and just make for a whole lot of grief on owner part trying to get tests completed to pass
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 6:28:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I happen to live in one of 7 counties (Portage) in this state that require echeck. I hope they get rid of it. Another nanny state law that needs to go.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Luckily never had to deal with it.  North Carolina however has full "safety inspections" for all vehicles.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I bet you they won't get rid of the fees that covered the cost of e-check (which you now get charge EVERY year). What a waste.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#9]
They worry about echeck. 70% or more of the car in Cuyahoga county would not pass a safety inspection similar to North Carolina or PA.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

PIA back in mid-90's when cars had some adjustments..  we sneaked 1 through with load of almost straight methanol to get it through for a customer,, car was piece of crap..

Anymore, with computer running everything, self tests completed, and no MIL,,  station should ideally pug into DLC, run inspect in CARB OBD-II,, find no DTC's (0),, and Readiness Tests complete,, you should PASS on spot and be on your way

DO NOT disconnect battery or arbitrarilly scan and clear if nothing was lit up in first place,, that will wipe out Readiness Tests being complete,, and just make for a whole lot of grief on owner part trying to get tests completed to pass
View Quote
@SBR7_11

Doesn’t the vehicle’s computer only need to register ~50 miles worth of data without it tripping any check engine lights for the eCheck computer to accept it for testing?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bet you they won't get rid of the fees that covered the cost of e-check (which you now get charge EVERY year). What a waste.
View Quote
What E-Check fees?  E-Check is free to the car owner and requires a check every two years.

Now, if you're talking about embedded, hidden fees on other state services......
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@SBR7_11

Doesn’t the vehicle’s computer only need to register ~50 miles worth of data without it tripping any check engine lights for the eCheck computer to accept it for testing?
View Quote
Nope,, I dont know which method of testing they use up there,  but yrs ago they went into OBD-II, and looked at list,, 1 line was for "Number of DTC",, should be "0"... they also look at Readiness Tests,, should reflect "Completed",,  this is where the control module has used it various logics to make sure system is inside parameters, be it Evap, Catalyst, and couple other I cant think of currently..

To complete Readiness Tests,, most maker have a guide to drive various cycles for speed - times for each system to complete,, but in real world,, doesnt seem to work,, best to just go drive all over hell and back  both city, interstate, idle, accell, decell.. all kind of crap for driving

Back when we had it here, they stuffed a sniffer probe in the tail pipe and did a mapped drive on the rollers.. if exhaust content values clean / correct for drive (load.. cruise.. idle) then we got a "PASS"

Check engine light for most any DTC is "2 Trip Detect",, logic has it that if fault seen in 2 consecutive trips (key cycle),, on come MIL to alert operator we have seen fault,, check it out... Non Fatal codes (not kill cat) will turn off MIL after so many cycle,, and retain DTC in memory for somebody to find

Fatal DTC (misfire) will make the MIL flash,,, this will kill a catalyst due to raw fuel in catalyst which will overheat the honeycomb brick and melt it... Flashing MIL is "REMEDY fault right now" concern
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:38:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What E-Check fees?  E-Check is free to the car owner and requires a check every two years.

Now, if you're talking about embedded, hidden fees on other state services......
View Quote
When they made it "free" they moved the fees into the "state fees" and "local fees" and you now pay it every year, instead of every other year. Nothing is ever free.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Good
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When they made it "free" they moved the fees into the "state fees" and "local fees" and you now pay it every year, instead of every other year. Nothing is ever free.
View Quote
I think his point is that the costs are already baked-in, so you really aren't in disagreement.  When you go get your E-check, you don't pay anything at the facility.  Getting rid of the E-check, however, isn't going to get rid of those "hidden" fees.  As such, from a cost perspective, getting rid of the E-check doesn't change anything.  I suppose, in the future,  not having to maintain the program could result in lower fees, but I'm sure the state will keep jacking up prices, regardless of whether or not they continue the program.

Basically, at this point, the cost is no longer an issue - we all pay, and will continue to pay for it, regardless.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm sure that the federal EPA throws a few bucks at Ohio's E-check, as well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I happen to live in one of 7 counties (Portage) in this state that require echeck. I hope they get rid of it. Another nanny state law that needs to go.
View Quote
You are telling me there is more than of us who live in Portage?
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top