Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2019 12:26:54 PM EDT
I have tried to pick through all the threads would like some help:

Doing a week on both islands.  So far I have:

OAHU--Dole plantation, Arizona(as much as I can--I am the last male descendant of sailor entombed there and I CANT GET ON !!), beach.

MAUI=North shore

I would love some more info on the flea market, ORIGINAL MAgnum and Dragnet sites, and any other "MUST DO's" .

Thanks ladies and gents.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 1:21:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ridewaves] [#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#2]
AZ Memorial over the ship is..broke....
They HOPE to have it open this summer.....
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#3]
BUMPING this--if I don;t get some ideas on where to go/do/eat my wife and her co -workers (NURSES!!!!) will plan my damn trip.

Help a brotha out, PLEASE!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 6:51:47 AM EDT
[#4]
A pretty cool hole in the wall private museum/brewery in Honolulu is the Home of the Brave/Brewseum.

Home of the Brave
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the link--that place looks awesome!
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:24:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dmb4765:
AZ Memorial over the ship is..broke....
They HOPE to have it open this summer.....
View Quote
They still take you out on the boat and they just drive by the Arizona.  They also take you along the Missouri.  I have yet to see any work being done on the platform.  You think it would be a priority to get it fixed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:19:27 AM EDT
[#7]
http://magnum-mania.com/Lists/On_Location.html
That site tells you about places that were seen in mangum pi with direction to get there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd second Haleakala Sunrise or Sunset. I think you need to sign up online in order to get in (unless you are native Hawaiian). They limit the amount of people at certain times.

That's too bad about the Arizona Memorial. It is truly a sacred place.

On O'ahu a place to eat with good value is Niko's at pier 38.

The North Shore is still active in March so with a little luck you could witness a large swell. Be warned that when it is big there's a lot of traffic out that way. I prefer to drive it from the windward/coastal direction. It is a beautiful drive and the traffic is usually lighter.

Be very careful if you go to the Westside of O'ahu (actually everywhere). It is like our inner city. They have their fair share of break ins and violence. Don't leave valuables unattended in the car or elsewhere. Rental cars are known and marked. Give respect, get respect.

Enjoy and relax. It is beautiful here, even though our politics and politicians suck.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks to all who replied!!

Will have to post an AAR!
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Flying over this coming weekend. Kinda pissed the AZ is still not open. When I booked they thought
It would by then .

Only doing 4 days on Oahu, Spending the other 10 in Maui just relaxing. Only plan on Oahu was Pearl Harbor.
Secondary was Diamond Head.... Any other Honolulu area things to do?
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:22:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: follybeacher] [#11]
fyi  Haleakalā now requires reservations. i agree you should try to plan that one early morning

eta
https://www.nps.gov/hale/planyourvisit/haleakala-sunrise-reservations.htm
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Follybeacher--you ever get to Hilton Head?
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Follybeacher--you ever get to Hilton Head?
View Quote
ive been but its been a while but yes
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 7:21:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Regarding home of the brave they do an excellent all around tour of the entire petal harbor attack history. ( not sure if anything has changed though) they pick you up at your hotel early and the van driver tour guide wears a World War Two period uniform. They stop at pearl Hickman schofield barracks and fort schafter. They do lunch at the schofield officers club and finish at the home of the brave museum great tour.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#16]
A.A.R.

OAHU
Hit Leonard's for the malasada's--insanely good
Poke' at the Marriott Buffet was heaven on earth....
Waikiki-place was totally hopping, much more "BIG CITY" than sleepy island....
Got Garlic Shrimp at Giovanni's==tasted great , hard work to eat//lol
Did a half day before Pearl in Chinatown--want to feel like a giant, walk around inside the markets there....
PEARL==what can I say,,got dusty.... RIP D.O. BUSICK, FCM3C
Did the Japanese rest. maze in the mall, got 2 good beers for $2....and great food

MAUI
Road to Hana--physically and mentally exhausting, plus a lot of the stops were closed due to the rain
Kapalua--Holy crap....stunning
Snorkeled on the "private island"--lots of great stuff to see, plus the wife FINALLY learned how...so she really enjoyed it as well
We basically drove to every "named" city on the island--much more laid back
Saw whales, turtles from almost touching distance,,,

IMPRESSIONS:
EXPENSIVE--$6.49 for a gallon of milk, 2 liters of pop for $2.50--and that is the on sale price?  Every meal was over $30, easy.....
SCENERY--stunning
BEACHES--world class and pretty darned clean (especially compared to Caribbean beaches!!)
PEOPLE--only had to deal with one ass hole whole trip--counter girl at the Maui winery was too good for us---so I cancelled the case of pineapple wine I planned on having them ship...otherwise, I got a LOT of new "Cousins"...lol
WEATHER--was laughing a lot at how "COLD" it was--it was 9 degrees and snowing when we flew out--and the locals were worried about it only being 78 and sunny--saw at least 20 people with parkas on...
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Replying to own post....

Wife said to add we also did DOLE Plantation and the Maui Tropical Plantation--both were rather informative, and we liked them...

did the OLD LAHAINA LUAU---very enjoyable, great drinks and show...
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 5:16:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Replying to own post....

Wife said to add we also did DOLE Plantation and the Maui Tropical Plantation--both were rather informative, and we liked them...

did the OLD LAHAINA LUAU---very enjoyable, great drinks and show...
View Quote
Glad you enjoyed your visit, I hope you spent a lot of money.

Next time, try Big Island.  Totally different experience
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm taking the family (wife, 19yo, 10yo and 8yo) to Oahu in Aug.  My brother and his family and my mom are also going.  We are staying on the North Shore near 3 tables beach.

Just bumping this thread for anymore info available.

We will hit the obvious (Pearl, Diamond, Hunama, etc) but any other tips would be great.  Thanks.

I haven't been there since I was 10 years old!
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#20]
GET THE SHAVE ICE AT THE GENERAL STORE BY GIVOANNIS...that was a to do before we left but we ate first and weren't hungry..

Polynesian Center looked interesting but pricey....
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:27:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotigers] [#21]
bump for more info:

I will be there in late April of 2020, 5-6 days on Oahu and a day or two on Maui.

My wife wants to stay at Waikiki? good, bad??? Which hotel/resort?

Referral for a good Pearl Harbor tour.

Whale watching suggestions.

Referral for half day fishing charter.

Referral for snorkeling

Which inter-island airline for island hoping or other transportation?

My wife wants to do a real luau. Is it possible to get an authentic experience?
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By gotigers:
bump for more info:

I will be there in late April of 2020, 5-6 days on Oahu and a day or two on Maui.

My wife wants to stay at Waikiki? good, bad??? Which hotel/resort?  Waikiki is fun.  If you want to

Referral for a good Pearl Harbor tour.

Whale watching suggestions.

Referral for half day fishing charter.

Referral for snorkeling

Which inter-island airline for island hoping or other transportation?

My wife wants to do a real luau. Is it possible to get an authentic experience?
View Quote
Waikiki is fun.  If you want to stay in Waikiki itself, I recommend the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Pearl Harbor - just go on your own but get there early.

Whale season is pretty much over by April, do the Atlantis Submarine instead.

Snorkeling - go to Hanauma Bay on your own.  Get there early.

Island hopping?  Hands down do Mokulele Airlines. They fly low and slow, have big windows, no TSA and are not expensive.

Check this out for luaus, seems about right to me https://luaus.org/oahu-luau-comparison/

For a fishing charter I really don't know enough to make a recommendation on Oahu or Maui.

I live on the Big Island and recommend you reconsider Maui and instead come to my island for a couple of days and do your fishing charter here.  I can recommend a host of activities here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top