Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2019 11:09:47 AM EDT
Haven't been to a OKC gun show in years. Thinking about driving over from Tulsa. Is it as bad and over done as I expect?
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty much talked myself out of it. Still was headed that way. Thought I'd stop by Dongs before heading out of town. They have a rossi 44 mag listed on armslist. Nice stainless model at a fair price. While looking it over I saw a ruger #3 on the wall. Great price though it has a recoil pad added. Figured any other caliber I'd pass. But for a 45-70 its probably a good idea. For anyone that hasn't shot one of these they are very light and kick fairly hard. Took all of 30 seconds to say I'll take that. Master race goodness.

Didn't go to OKC.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 10:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty much talked myself out of it. Still was headed that way. Thought I'd stop by Dongs before heading out of town. They have a rossi 44 mag listed on armslist. Nice stainless model at a fair price. While looking it over I saw a ruger #3 on the wall. Great price though it has a recoil pad added. Figured any other caliber I'd pass. But for a 45-70 its probably a good idea. For anyone that hasn't shot one of these they are very light and kick fairly hard. Took all of 30 seconds to say I'll take that. Master race goodness.

Didn't go to OKC.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/262615/20191124_170908_jpg-1172550.JPG
View Quote
Sweet! Something about launching a 405gr lead projectile at between 1600 and 1800 FPS is just so satisfying. I really love My Marlin guide gun. And it's forceful love taps.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 3:38:47 AM EDT
[#4]
My .45-70 launches them wayyy slower but it looks cool doing it and looking cool is half the battle!

Link Posted: 11/27/2019 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#5]
A fun plinking load is a 458 or slightly bigger round ball loaded over 4 or 5 grains of unique. Helps to have a lube cookie under the ball.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My .45-70 launches them wayyy slower but it looks cool doing it and looking cool is half the battle!

View Quote
Yeah I have one too. It served in the battle of San Juan with the Rhode Island militia and then was auctioned off and served with the Choctaw Light Horse police until 1938. Its cool to send your serial number in for providence.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I have several trapdoors but never lettered one. Very cool.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Mines just your basic run of the mill cut down carbine.  I've been told that it looks like it was probably cut down soon after being surplused and used a lot.  It's that kind of good honest wear on the wood like you'd expect on such an old gun. The rifling and everything is very good but the stock is well worn.  Looks like a gun that was carried and handled a whole lot but not shot as much.

I'd like to believe some family back in the day used it as their primary hunting gun which would explain the worn stock but strong rifling.  That's what I'd like to believe but with my luck it's probably just a bunch of parts cobbled together as a Bannerman special.  Either way I like it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 11:33:18 PM EDT
[#9]
OKC shows are ok a couple of times a year.

I sure wouldn't drive from Tulsa for one though.  If you were already here you might check it out, but don't expect to be impressed.

I do find stuff occasionally though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top