Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/24/2020 3:00:24 PM EDT
After our walk/lunch we were going to go down to the ISRA range for some quality time.

Friday they posted they’d be open.
Checked again today......no......

Where’s everyone getting trigger time in?

My wife hasn’t shot “her” new .380 and I’d like her to get some AR trigger time in.

Link Posted: 3/24/2020 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I emailed buffalo range shooting park.  The said they are still open on the same schedule they've always been on.  Not sure how far that is for you.  
   Im losing my mind out of boredom. Trying to find something to do with my 7 yr old.  Between not knowing what stores are open and not wanting to expose him to some sickly guy at Bass pro we are limited.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I emailed buffalo range shooting park.  The said they are still open on the same schedule they've always been on.  Not sure how far that is for you.  
   Im losing my mind out of boredom. Trying to find something to do with my 7 yr old.  Between not knowing what stores are open and not wanting to expose him to some sickly guy at Bass pro we are limited.
View Quote

Last time I was there was about 2 years ago. Wasn’t impressed.

I’m in the south burbs. It’s about an hours drive give it take.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Which suburb of you don't mind?  Not the most impressive range but big enough and outdoor.  2 key factors for me
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Which suburb of you don't mind?  Not the most impressive range but big enough and outdoor.  2 key factors for me
View Quote

Tinley/Orland area
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Ah. Nice. Im in Chicago unfortunately.  On the border of oak lawn.   Forced to live in the city limits.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:20:03 AM EDT
[#6]
and I was thinking about going there tomorrow.  WTH
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I was surprised to get that email from ISRA too.

The previous Thursday message from Richard Pearson was talking about getting out into the fresh air, and that ranges should be safe.

That was on the 19th, and then the 23rd the range is closed.

Not sure what changed, and you can only guess at this point.

Link Posted: 3/28/2020 8:01:00 AM EDT
[#8]
GAT's range is open Tuesday through Saturday,  10 AM to 4 PM.

25 yard pistol, including pistol caliber rifles, 50 and 75 yard rifle. Indoor.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I received the email yesterday saying the ISRA range will be reopened April 8th. The time stamp was 3:50 PM yesterday.

No classroom stuff, though, to prevent the crud from spreading.

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I received the email yesterday saying the ISRA range will be reopened April 8th. The time stamp was 3:50 PM yesterday.

No classroom stuff, though, to prevent the crud from spreading.

View Quote

@garbageman

God I hope so.........

I wonder if it’ll change after the extension of the shelter at home till the 30th
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Aurora Sportsman Club shut their ranges down suddenly, as well, a few days ago.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#12]
They changed it again. Go to the range calendar page, and across the top in a red font is info saying the range is shutdown until May 1st. No explanation other than that.

One of they guys I shoot benchrest with called me to tell me, I hadn't checked their page lately.

So, here we are again.

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Curses!
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 12:17:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Well so much for making Master this year in service rifle
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Our benchrest league was supposed to begin on April 22 and run through September.

I think the F-class was to begin in early May, same day as our league, each Wednesday.

If this stay at home thing keeps getting bumped out there's no telling when we'll get started.

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 1:07:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Rec'd an email from Richard saying the range will reopen April 8th.

@PoiDog
@Doorman
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 12:30:12 PM EDT
[#17]
@garbageman

I just spoke with him. The range is open for practice starting tomorrow, but all events are postponed / cancelled.

I was confused by the red font across the calendar. Sorry for the confusion.

I did get the email a while back stating April 8th, but then the message above the calendar was pointed out to me by a guy I shoot benchrest with. That was to start the 22nd, but it's postponed until we get clearance.

Sorry about clouding the issue, guys.

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#18]
@garbageman
@PoiDog

Saturday early AM?
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Cornfields
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
@garbageman
@PoiDog

Saturday early AM?
View Quote

I can't make it that day. It's also a work day, and I'm not sure how much that impacts the range when it happens.

I'll bet today is going to be jammed after the time it was closed. I'll try to drop in to see later today.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Didn’t see this posted until checking the website earlier today.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#22]
One of the shooters from our benchrest league went there Wednesday. From 10 to noon he had the benchrest range all to himself.

Several other shooters showed up around noon.

He said the rest of the range was pretty sparsely attended, too.

Maybe the word that it's open hasn't gone 'viral' yet.

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone willing to take a guest?

Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Anyone willing to take a guest?

Asking for a friend.
View Quote

@efxguy

I’m leaving Tinley Park about 7:15ish tomorrow morning
You’re welcome to follow me down there.
It’s about 45mins south of me

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:20:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Wife and I were there Saturday, arrived about 9am.  Spent a few hours on the 100yd line.  Place was pretty dead surprisingly
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I was at the 100 yard range today, with a couple other members of our benchrest league.

The ranges were crowded today. The pistol ranges had a lot of shooters, and so did the 100 meter range. There were several cars parked by the newer practice ranges that I saw while driving through the gate.

There were 5 shooters on the range when I got there, and then we were joined by the other two guys I shoot with.

The weather held out until around 1:00, then it began to drizzle a little bit.

A good time was had after a long layoff.

Not a mask was in sight. The benches have around 8 feet between them and it's outside.

Can't wait until the quarantine is lifted and we can go on with our activities.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:46:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was at the 100 yard range today, with a couple other members of our benchrest league.

The ranges were crowded today. The pistol ranges had a lot of shooters, and so did the 100 meter range. There were several cars parked by the newer practice ranges that I saw while driving through the gate.

There were 5 shooters on the range when I got there, and then we were joined by the other two guys I shoot with.

Not a mask was in sight. The benches have around 8 feet between them and it's outside.

View Quote

I almost went this afternoon!!!!
Rain started while I was on my way home from work and took the wind outta my sails.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I am thinking and looking for my own piece of land somewhere on the border of WI or by the Mississippi. Have to find something cheap and far from the incorporated areas.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Rain started while I was on my way home from work and took the wind outta my sails.
View Quote

Work?

Oh yeah, I remember work! LOL

Retired since 2014, loving every minute of it.

The rain held off for us, but even when it started it didn't last long yesterday.

We're going to give it another go next Wednesday, weather permitting. We can't start the BR league yet, but we can practice.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#30]
And now our illustrious governor has extended the quarantine until May 30th.

At least we can practice.

He's also mandated masks starting May 1st, next Friday. This is for crowded areas, like grocery stores. .

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your lucky. The job I was on pretty much got shut down. The job I was supposed to go to is completely shut down. Not working sucks!
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Your lucky. The job I was on pretty much got shut down. The job I was supposed to go to is completely shut down. Not working sucks!
View Quote

So far it appears the next monthish looks good for my company.

I’ve heard the same from other trades about shut downs/lack of material/etc.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

So far it appears the next monthish looks good for my company.

I've heard the same from other trades about shut downs/lack of material/etc.
View Quote
Lack of material got me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I've been getting a few days a week the past few weeks.

Of course, I get an invitation to go shooting on one of the days I was working last week.

Never fails!
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#35]
The MOA all day challenge thread in precision rifle forum is a joke. The top 3 entries are bullshit fantasy lies. Anyone interested in a IHTF MOA day of shooting when things get back to normal?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:29:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Work?

Oh yeah, I remember work! LOL

Retired since 2014, loving every minute of it.

The rain held off for us, but even when it started it didn't last long yesterday.

We're going to give it another go next Wednesday, weather permitting. We can't start the BR league yet, but we can practice.
View Quote
@PoiDog when are you shooting BR league and where? I'd love to observe if possible.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The MOA all day challenge thread in precision rifle forum is a joke. The top 3 entries are bullshit fantasy lies. Anyone interested in a IHTF MOA day of shooting when things get back to normal?
View Quote

@winddummy82

Sounds good to me!
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
@PoiDog when are you shooting BR league and where? I'd love to observe if possible.
View Quote

Our benchrest league is at the ISRA range in Bonfield, but you have to be a member there to shoot in the league. It's not open to the general public except for sight in days they have once a year.

All of the matches and leagues are shut down until this quarantine is over, though.

We shoot on Wednesdays once we're allowed to have the league. We shoot 3 group targets at 100 yards, followed by one Hunter target at the same distance. Then we break for lunch, and afterwards shoot rimfire at 50 yards. The rimfire is 20 bullseyes. All targets are the IBS targets available at National Target among other places.

It's a lot of fun. There are 12 benches on the BR range, including one for handicapped shooters. The benches are concrete and are very sturdy. Shooting is done off front rests and rear bags, and are mostly single shot rifles. Since it's on a weekday, all of us are retired for the most part.

Most guys are shooting 6BR Norma, 6 PPC, or 30BR custom rifles, but we are starting a factory rifle class since several guys shoot .223 rifles. It is supposed to begin whenever we get the nod to start.

Our first league day was supposed to be last Wednesday, but was canceled due to the quarantine. Some of us got together for practice, which was nice after a long layoff. We're scheduled to go through September once it begins.

The range also has F-Class matches on the 300 yard range, also on Wednesdays, if that interests you at all. "Belly benchrest" is the nickname since you're shooting prone. From what I understand, they have FTR and F-open classes. The first one has to be either .223 or .308 rifles, the other is less restrictive.

@winddummy82
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Our benchrest league is at the ISRA range in Bonfield, but you have to be a member there to shoot in the league. It's not open to the general public except for sight in days they have once a year.

All of the matches and leagues are shut down until this quarantine is over, though.

We shoot on Wednesdays once we're allowed to have the league. We shoot 3 group targets at 100 yards, followed by one Hunter target at the same distance. Then we break for lunch, and afterwards shoot rimfire at 50 yards. The rimfire is 20 bullseyes. All targets are the IBS targets available at National Target among other places.

It's a lot of fun. There are 12 benches on the BR range, including one for handicapped shooters. The benches are concrete and are very sturdy. Shooting is done off front rests and rear bags, and are mostly single shot rifles. Since it's on a weekday, all of us are retired for the most part.

Most guys are shooting 6BR Norma, 6 PPC, or 30BR custom rifles, but we are starting a factory rifle class since several guys shoot .223 rifles. It is supposed to begin whenever we get the nod to start.

Our first league day was supposed to be last Wednesday, but was canceled due to the quarantine. Some of us got together for practice, which was nice after a long layoff. We're scheduled to go through September once it begins.

The range also has F-Class matches on the 300 yard range, also on Wednesdays, if that interests you at all. "Belly benchrest" is the nickname since you're shooting prone. From what I understand, they have FTR and F-open classes. The first one has to be either .223 or .308 rifles, the other is less restrictive.

@winddummy82
View Quote
Pretty much what I figured. Can't wait to retire so I can enjoy weekday range trips.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:06:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

@winddummy82

Sounds good to me!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@winddummy82

Sounds good to me!
Anyone else interested?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Perfect day at the ISRA range yesterday.

More people there than I’m used to seeing.

Saw @garbageman and took @efxguy as a guest........now I want a roller relayed something to own/shoot!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#42]
ISRA range sell day passes to members?
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By winddummy82:
ISRA range sell day passes to members?
View Quote

No
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ISRA range sell day passes to members?

No

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#45]
They allow a member to bring a guest, but just one time. After that they want the guest to join the range.

I'd imagine it would quickly get abused if it was different, people being people.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By PoiDog:
They allow a member to bring a guest, but just one time. After that they want the guest to join the range. 

I'd imagine it would quickly get abused if it was different, people being people. 

View Quote

That’s the general thought process.

@winddummy82

Shoot me a PM with your info if youd like to go as a guest this spring/summer.
I usually go early on Saturday’s.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Doorman63:
Perfect day at the ISRA range yesterday. 

More people there than I’m used to seeing. 

Saw @garbageman and took @efxguy as a guest........now I want a roller relayed something to own/shoot!!
View Quote

I was there Friday on the benchrest range. Most of the guys from our league showed up, along with other shooters. It was pretty crowded.

I think 11 out of 12 benches were in use. The pistol range looked pretty crowded, too. The right side was closed for work, so that might have caused the crowding there.

Looks like rain the next couple of days.

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:04:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That's the general thought process.

@winddummy82

I usually go early on Saturday's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They allow a member to bring a guest, but just one time. After that they want the guest to join the range.

I'd imagine it would quickly get abused if it was different, people being people.

That's the general thought process.

@winddummy82

I usually go early on Saturday's.

Thanks for bringing me along @Doorman63 ! I had a great time and I love that range and its always a blast shooting with you.

I am seriously considering joining the ISRA Range, but the 120 miles one way is a deal killer.
Sure do wish that there was a range like that up hear closer to the Wisconsin border!
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By efxguy:

Thanks for bringing me along @Doorman63 ! I had a great time and I love that range and its always a blast shooting with you.

I am seriously considering joining the ISRA Range, but the 120 miles one way is a deal killer. 
Sure do wish that there was a range like that up hear closer to the Wisconsin border!
View Quote

I've never been there, but would Aurora Sportsman's Club work for you? Last I heard they had a 600 yard range there.

I'd like to try that distance one day. The furthest I've shot is 300 yards at Bonfield last year.

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By efxguy:

Sure do wish that there was a range like that up hear closer to the Wisconsin border!
View Quote

R.C.L.R.C.?

Home page
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top