Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/20/2020 10:48:56 PM EDT
Hey Guys,
I'm looking at the possibility of moving to Northern Alabama, maybe Limestone, Morgan or Madison county.
Any of you live up there ?
What have you herd of the home builders up there: mainly Legacy Homes (they look great online), but what about Davidson, Valor, Stone Martin, DR Horton ?
Need to be within decent distance to Huntsville for VA care, Huntsville area seems to be booming with jobs & home sales.
Moving from Colorado, humidity will be an adjustment, but should be doable.

Thanks for any input !!

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Eastern side of Limestone County here. I haven't had any experience with any of the home builders you've mentioned, but can't say I have heard anything bad about them either. There are neighborhoods popping up everywhere in east Limestone and Athens. The recent (last 10 years or so) boom in population has made things like traffic hectic, but they are constantly improving that situation, especially through Madison and on I-565. You can still get from Athens to downtime Huntsville in a reasonable time, so a trip to the VA won't be a trek if you settle in Athens. We have pretty much anything you could want to do, with more and more venues and attractions popping up all the time. We look forward to having you!
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Northern Madison County here... AL/TN borderish so I'm in the country.

I PCS'd here from Colorado 3 yrs ago... still not acclimated to the heat & humidity

All I know about builders is to stay away from Adams Homes. Now there are 3-4 new subdivisions being built around me as we speak and 3-4 phases of current subdivisions being completed. Houses don't stay on sale for long so if you find something you like don't try haggling, so you should visit early to secure your choice. A nice brick home across the way was sold in 3 days. Our property taxes out here are around $500 so its a selling point. So check out the madison county tax assessor website and play with some home costs to find out what your property taxes may/could be. It's a useful resource

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Madison and Limestone counties are exploding when it comes to housing.  Many subdivisions and apartments are being built right now.  What are you looking for, any kids in school?

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#4]
3 years and 2 months in you’ll forget about the heat, just don’t keep your a/c at 65 like most folks I know and you’ll acclimate faster. A/c set at 78 is just fine! With a fan on
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#5]
It'll be just the wife & I, no kids.
Still looking for a decent size place as we need our own room for hobbies and stuff.
Single story, 4bd, 3ba, 3 car, 2300+ sq ft.
Local ranges don't seem too plenty, but Last Resort Guns is somewhat close by for indoor shooting.
Been spoiled with my local indoor range only 7 minutes away.

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 11:08:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It'll be just the wife & I, no kids.
Still looking for a decent size place as we need our own room for hobbies and stuff.
Single story, 4bd, 3ba, 3 car, 2300+ sq ft.
Local ranges don't seem too plenty, but Last Resort Guns is somewhat close by for indoor shooting.
Been spoiled with my local indoor range only 7 minutes away.

View Quote

Do not go to Last Resort Guns.

Asshole owner has been on record stating that he wanted an AWB to pass for his own personal gain.

Cavern Cove is not all that far away. There are a ton of shooters in the Huntsville area that drive over to it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Asshole owner has been on record stating that he wanted an AWB to pass for his own personal gain.

Cavern Cove is not all that far away. There are a ton of shooters in the Huntsville area that drive over to it.
View Quote

+1. Fuck Russ and Fuck Last Resort. He’s an elitist asshole that runs one of the worst gun shops and ranges around.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 12:09:23 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife and I are considering moving from just across the TN state line in Fayetteville to somewhere closer to Huntsville within the next year or so, provided I get the job in Huntsville for which I've applied. As such, we've been looking at a lot of the different builders, their assorted communities, and various floor plans.

Madison city schools are some of the best in the area, but home prices reflect that. For example, Davidson Homes has a floor plan they call the Savannah-C. It's a 4 bed, 2.5 bath, 3,190 square foot two story home. In Hazel Green (near the TN line), they start at $266,900. The exact same floor plan in their Bartlett Mill community in Madison starts at $378,900. That's a $112,000 difference less than 28 miles apart, primarily because Madison is a VERY desirable ZIP Code, in large part because of their schools.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the heads up on LRG, don't need to support them if they don't support us.
With not having kids, maybe I should stay away from Madison County for school tax reasons.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 11:21:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the heads up on LRG, don't need to support them if they don't support us.
With not having kids, maybe I should stay away from Madison County for school tax reasons.
View Quote
The city of Madison is where the schools hit home prices. The rest of Madison county isn't as bad.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The city of Madison is where the schools hit home prices. The rest of Madison county isn't as bad.
View Quote
Got'cha, makes sense with what I've been looking at.

I'll be there next week looking at places & builders.
Not looking to move right now, but wanted to see what the quality of the homes new builders are putting out.
As others have mentioned, places are selling quick, new & pre-existing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Not that you mentioned wanting to do with around the Birmingham area, but Birmingham has a VA.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#13]
You might want to look South of Huntsville too.  Down 231 you can get a lot more property for the money.  Every direction has it's pros and cons.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn I didn't know that and I've recently done transfers there.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Head down south across the river - area around Arab. 231 should be repaired in about two months so this would be a good time to look. I've been in this area about 50 years. Let me know if I can help.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Pay close attention to the city when you are checking out the different areas.  For example, I live in Limestone County and Huntsville City.  While I don't care the school system I do pay HSV property tax and get almost no services for it. Huntsville has annexed a lot of areas in adjacent counties.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#17]
East Limestone county here, moved here in 2000 from Ohio. I own a Legacy home purchased new in 2005 very similar to what you describe you are looking for. Very happy with the home everything that went south happened in the first year and they promptly repaired it. Two nail pops in the drywall, cracked tile, AC drip tray not installed level took out some drywall, nothing serious. All fixed in 2-3 days neighbors experience pretty much the same.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the info guys !
I may 'IM' you individually with specific questions if that's cool.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
East Limestone county here, moved here in 2000 from Ohio. I own a Legacy home purchased new in 2005 very similar to what you describe you are looking for. Very happy with the home everything that went south happened in the first year and they promptly repaired it. Two nail pops in the drywall, cracked tile, AC drip tray not installed level took out some drywall, nothing serious. All fixed in 2-3 days neighbors experience pretty much the same.
View Quote
Howdy neighbor.....  I have a 2005 home from a builder that doesn't exist anymore.  The last economic implosion killed them....  Worked out well in the end since the HOA died....

Link Posted: 8/25/2020 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My wife and I are considering moving from just across the TN state line in Fayetteville to somewhere closer to Huntsville within the next year or so, provided I get the job in Huntsville for which I've applied. As such, we've been looking at a lot of the different builders, their assorted communities, and various floor plans.

Madison city schools are some of the best in the area, but home prices reflect that. For example, Davidson Homes has a floor plan they call the Savannah-C. It's a 4 bed, 2.5 bath, 3,190 square foot two story home. In Hazel Green (near the TN line), they start at $266,900. The exact same floor plan in their Bartlett Mill community in Madison starts at $378,900. That's a $112,000 difference less than 28 miles apart, primarily because Madison is a VERY desirable ZIP Code, in large part because of their schools.
View Quote

No income tax in TN either.

Property taxes are higher than AL, but not higher than income tax.

I nearly bought a house in TN since I travel for work anyway.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Add $300 power bill for June- October monthly expense bigger home bigger utilities
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 11:56:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While true, if you live in TN but work in AL - then AL will get it's income tax.  Ask me how I know.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
While true, if you live in TN but work in AL - then AL will get it's income tax.  Ask me how I know.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that you have to file for a refund. But I would bet that you don't get it all back. And the City of Birmingham has an occupational tax just like a sales tax. It doesn't matter where you live, you still have to pay that tax because it comes straight out of your top line.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think that you have to file for a refund. But I would bet that you don't get it all back. And the City of Birmingham has an occupational tax just like a sales tax. It doesn't matter where you live, you still have to pay that tax because it comes straight out of your top line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my experience as a professional tax preparer, many TN residents who work in AL end up owing AL come tax time, rather than getting a refund. (Non-residents of AL file their AL income tax return on an Alabama Form 40NR.) This is especially true if they or their spouse also have income earned in their state of residence.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

In my experience as a professional tax preparer, many TN residents who work in AL end up owing AL come tax time, rather than getting a refund. (Non-residents of AL file their AL income tax return on an Alabama Form 40NR.) This is especially true if they or their spouse also have income earned in their state of residence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, because of our income, we end having to pay AL every year.  The shit part is that we're both retired; the AL income is a disability payment.    and  
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#26]
North Morgan county here in city of Decatur. Lived in Huntsville all my life. Great area, Madison is prob the Jewel of tri counties. OVer the mountain heading towards Guntersville is real popular as well. Swan Creek is a great rang run by WMA. Some of the best fishing around the southeast. Holler if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Just got back from my trip, stayed in Decatur and drove around to Athens, Huntsville, Meridianville and other area's.
It rained a lot while we were there, more than I can remember in the past.
The nights were nice when there was even a slightest breeze.
Saw Stone Martin, Legacy, DR Horton & Davidson builders and some floor plans they have.
Really nice homes in a beautiful area.
Now to retire from where I am this Dec and look at moving.

Appreciate all the info guys !!

Link Posted: 8/31/2020 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Here in Decatur. Moved from Memphrica 25 years ago. North Alabama is pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Big Bob Gibsons & Whitts, my FAV bbq sammiches !!
Just can't get them like that in Colorado.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Big Bob Gibsons & Whitts, may FAV bbq sammiches !!
View Quote

If you think Whitt's is good, you need to come on up to Lynchburg, TN and try the Grilled Cheese on Crack at Barrelhouse BBQ. It's a grilled cheese sandwich stuffed with some of the best pulled pork you'll ever taste.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#31]
If we move to northern Bama, day trips to TN are on the list.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you think Whitt's is good, you need to come on up to Lynchburg, TN and try the Grilled Cheese on Crack at Barrelhouse BBQ. It's a grilled cheese sandwich stuffed with some of the best pulled pork you'll ever taste.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Big Bob Gibsons & Whitts, may FAV bbq sammiches !!

And The Corner Pit in Giles county near Elkton.  Open only on Fridays and Saturdays.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Greenbrier restaurant, "best damn fried catfish and hush puppies known to man", words spoken by a co-worker from Oregon a year or so ago....
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Morgan county is a fine county to live in.

Ranges:

Swan Creek WMA range is really nice now, used to be a dump, but they got a grant or something and made it one of the nicest outdoor ranges around.

Bullet and Barrel is a really good indoor range, shop is eh.

Larrys is a really good shop, range is usually packed out and not that great. The Memorial pkwy location is always packed out but they have good prices. The Madison location is a really good store, staffed with great people.

If you live in or near Hartselle (in Morgan County) the place to shop is Mike's Gun and Pawn. Great deals, been going there since I was little. Great group of guys.

Avoid Last Resort, terrible employees and honestly not that great of a shop or range now that Bullet and Barrel is in town.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Good BBQ here too but beware:

BIG BOB GIBSONS IS OVER RATED.

Scruggs BBQ in Decatur is great, BB Perrins is still pretty good even after BBs untimely death.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I know some here worship the ground Larry's walks on but that senile old idiot Larry doesn't understand firearms safety and I haven't been back since he pointed a rifle he was looking at directly at my head and didn't know if it was loaded or not.  He then kicked me out of his store for asking him to not point the rifle at his customers and maybe at the wall where no customers would be muzzled.   Larry's prices are good but until that fool dies he won't get a penny from me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#37]
The demise of the Hartselle Gun Club seriously hindered my shooting escapades.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The demise of the Hartselle Gun Club seriously hindered my shooting escapades.
View Quote

Same here - its 35 miles from the house but the Blue and Gray range near Guntersville is very nice. I always go during the week and rarely encounter anyone.

This was my last visit, am going back tomorrow.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#39]
They made some improvements since I was last there.  I particularly like the concrete tabletops.

I was a member in the early 90's when I lived in OXR.  Is Jim/James whats-his-name still in charge?  A Fudd of the highest order.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
They made some improvements since I was last there.  I particularly like the concrete tabletops.

I was a member in the early 90's when I lived in OXR.  Is Jim/James whats-his-name still in charge?  A Fudd of the highest order.
View Quote

I prefer wood. Concrete has a tendency to scratch stuff.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Are local ranges NFA friendly ?
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

No idea - I rarely see anyone.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

None that I am aware of. There is a new one on Hobbs Island Rd - not sure what the parameters are there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Arfcomer MachineGunTony (or something like that, I think he's passed since) use to hold full-auto matches at Swan Creek south of Athens in Tanner.  My son and I attended one back in the late 90's.  

My son and I were standing around watching the shooters when a Uzi owner motions to my son to come over.  He instructed my son, then handed a fully auto Uzi.  He had him fire a couple single rounds to see if he could handle the recoil.  He then switched it to full-auto and then let my son let loose.  A dozen or so rounds maybe?  My son had the biggest grin ever for the rest of the day.

Whoever was gracious to do that:  THANK YOU!!!!!!

There's a full auto range 10 miles north of the border, but it's private.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My solution:

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
A local dealer had a "demo" day at Swan Creek maybe 10 years ago.  I shot his converted G19, a HK 416 and an UZI.  He also had suppressors available to demo.  Don't remember which ones I shot.

Unless something has changed, WMA ranges allow any firearm that you legally possess.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#47]
We just moved from Harvest to Madison. Built with DR Horton. Experience with them was fine for us. School zone was at the top of our list though for our son. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can't imagine anybody anywhere would care about a silencer or sbr.  

The public ranges on state game lands are no issue.  Have a friend even brought a Barrett to swan creek to zero the scope.  You will see tons of silencers at those ranges also.  
The private club ranges I've been to wouldn't care if you weren't disturbing or inconveniencing other shooters.  

Full auto might attract attention at the indoor ranges.  Larrys rents a full auto ruger now though, so I imagine they wouldn't stop you if you look like a safe shooter.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've seen plenty of suppressors and sbr's at Swan Creek... an RSO may ask to see yoru papers but that is about it. The last time I witnessed one asking he was cool about it and was just doing it "just in case"
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've seen plenty of suppressors and sbr's at Swan Creek... an RSO may ask to see yoru papers but that is about it. The last time I witnessed one asking he was cool about it and was just doing it "just in case"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top