Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2024 11:17:34 PM EDT
Anyone know a good and trustworthy mechanic north of the river? My old 08 Taurus has something rattling in the front end and making a popping noise when I turn. Had struts put on a couple years ago. Car has 190k on it but it’s my daily and I really like it. And want to get it checked out
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:21:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#1]
There are many rivers in Missouri, and even the one that shares its name with the state stretches 250 miles from west to east. Might help if you narrow your question down a bit.

(I'm not a mechanic, but sounds like maybe a bad CV joint.)
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 12:02:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Liberty area.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 2:29:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#3]
Is the rubber CV boot ripped / oily on the outside?

Probably not too bad a job to do..... most everything on a front end can be done with simple hand tools.

I have not used a car shop in KC north in a while, I think Christian Brothers on Barry Road would be a good start.

They fixed my car when the tire shop broke my car. Seemed like good folks.

Link Posted: 2/16/2024 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Christian Brothers by Sams has done right by me.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I don’t see anything loose and the boot isn’t tore. I’ll check out the place listed thanks guys
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:38:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Could be swaybar end links gone bad. I'd also put on new swaybar bushings too as the rubber at that milage has worn them out also.

Another possibility is the CV Joint got worn out. One doesn't have to have torn rubber boots to have a joint go bad. It's better to replace the other side too, since it also has same milage and wear/tear.

Upper or Lower ball joints on new vehicles go bad easily since manufacturers don't put in grease zerks nowadays. Nowadays one doesn't just replace the ball joint, they replace the whole upper or lower unit. Just the way it is on many vehicles.

The mount isolation pads of the upper Strut(shock) assembly has gone bad.

You can have a few things one needs to go over and eliminate before finding the correct problem and correct it, but with the milage on vehicle it would be wise to do a few of them if you find the mechanic needs to tear apart areas, just to replace what's wrong to save time and expense to not need to go back in at a later date, since the mechanic is already in the area or has to remove certain "wear parts" to get to the part(s) that needs fixed.

I'm my own mechanic. Only time I don't do the work on my vehicle(s) is if there's a special tool involved to fix. Been working on vehicles since the early 70's when you didn't have a computer to plug in to tell one what's wrong with their ride. And also hearing certain sounds that a bad part can make over the years that lets one know that it's time for fixing.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 4:54:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Kev's Muffler & Brake in Gladstone. (NW 72nd St, near the bowling alley and kinda tucked in behind things.) It's kind of a dirty shop and I wouldn't wait with it if I didn't have to - find a ride and come back for it.
They've always done really well by me, and when I had an issue they couldn't fix (their computer wasn't current enough for the codes/errors I had) they referred me over to Brad's on N. Oak at 74th. Also did right by me.

Recommend for Kev's: first time I was there, dude dropped off his AC Cobra for service.

I needed an exhaust on my truck. He got it on the rack, looked it over, grabbed me and said "here's the issue - bunch of little holes where it rusted out. I can order the factory part, it'll be $300-350 and here in three days, or I can fab up the Y pipe now ... probably 75 bucks and take me an hour."
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By zercool:
Kev's Muffler & Brake in Gladstone. (NW 72nd St, near the bowling alley and kinda tucked in behind things.) It's kind of a dirty shop and I wouldn't wait with it if I didn't have to - find a ride and come back for it.
They've always done really well by me, and when I had an issue they couldn't fix (their computer wasn't current enough for the codes/errors I had) they referred me over to Brad's on N. Oak at 74th. Also did right by me.

Recommend for Kev's: first time I was there, dude dropped off his AC Cobra for service.

I needed an exhaust on my truck. He got it on the rack, looked it over, grabbed me and said "here's the issue - bunch of little holes where it rusted out. I can order the factory part, it'll be $300-350 and here in three days, or I can fab up the Y pipe now ... probably 75 bucks and take me an hour."
View Quote

Glad to hear Kev's is still around. I think I probably went there the first time 20 years ago...... maybe more. Has always been a recommended shop.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm near Liberty as well. Good to see there are some other members in the area.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By zercool:

View Quote

I have used both shops myself many times. I will always go to these guys. Especially Kevs. They welded a hole in an old car of mine for like $20ish.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JAD762:
Christian Brothers by Sams has done right by me.
View Quote

I'm a service advisor at the Barry Road location if you want to give us a call.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:
There are many rivers in Missouri, and even the one that shares its name with the state stretches 250 miles from west to east. Might help if you narrow your question down a bit.

(I'm not a mechanic, but sounds like maybe a bad CV joint.)
View Quote

North of the river is a KC thing.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:11:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top