Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2021 12:25:34 PM EDT
I need to find a new pediatrician for my kids. Goochland/Hanover/Western Henrico area.

Their old one retired last year, and the group is full-on leftist nannies. Asking all kinds of intrusive questions on forms and during visits. Asking if parents have been vaccinated for Covid, pushing the vaccine for kids as soon as it’s authorized, asking for SSNs for everyone, race and employment status on forms, etc.

Any recommendations for pediatricians that stick to actual medicine, and not wokeness and data mining?
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Just curious.

Did they ask if there are any guns in the home?

My long-time physician passed away a few years ago, and I went to a doctor that a friend recommended.

I read all the questions on the new patient questionnaire, and when I saw a question about guns in the home, I handed it back to the receptionist and walked out.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just curious.

Did they ask if there are any guns in the home?

My long-time physician passed away a few years ago, and I went to a doctor that a friend recommended.

I read all the questions on the new patient questionnaire, and when I saw a question about guns in the home, I handed it back to the receptionist and walked out.
View Quote

No, and I've always watched for that.

They always give us a pre-printed, canned American Academy of Pediatrics list of BS at every visit. Nothing on it is discussed, but it includes the "don't have guns, and if you have to because you're a disgusting neanderthal, make sure they're disassembled and the ammo is in another zip code." I just toss it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 7:41:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Write N/A, or treat them with the disrespect they actions ask for - lie to them.

Or, for the fun of it, start asking them about their mal practice insurance.  How much they're coverd for, how often they get sued, how much they pay out, etc., etc., do what you can to make them uncomfortable - then leave if you feel the need.  But leave them feeling like they've been smacked a time or three.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Write N/A, or treat them with the disrespect they actions ask for - lie to them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don’t see the point in doing either of those things.

Or, for the fun of it, start asking them about their mal practice insurance.  How much they're coverd for, how often they get sued, how much they pay out, etc., etc., do what you can to make them uncomfortable - then leave if you feel the need.  But leave them feeling like they've been smacked a time or three.

We’ve already decided to leave the practice. Once we get what we need from them record-wise, I’ll have a chat with the (leftist) practice manager that will leave her jaw on the floor. There’s more to this than I can post online, but she is going to be floored with what I know.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I own a pediatric practice.

‘Unfortunately it’s too far away for you

FWIW...my wife (the lead pediatrician) asks about guns in the home.  At the same time she asks if you have a pool.  Or if you car seats installed correctly.  Or if the are chemicals accessible, like cleaning supplies under the sink.   Or if there is a pet.  See where I’m going?  It’s a normal question.  If people don’t want to answer, they can politely decline or, as was said above, lie.

If they say yes they’re offered information about the Eddie the Eagle program (the NRA child gun safety program). We also used to have information about safes and cards to Clark brothers in Warrenton (where my wife bought my safe)

I understand people’s hesitancy in answering the question

It would be irresponsible of a physician not to ask

It is completely up to the patient on how you answer.

Also, thank you for reminding me....we ran out of a lot of those pamphlets during COVID.  I need to see if I can get some more

FWIW.....the majority of my employees have their CHPs and carry and shoot.  And we still ask “the question”
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 7:50:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

FWIW...my wife (the lead pediatrician) asks about guns in the home.  At the same time she asks if you have a pool.  Or if you car seats installed correctly.  Or if the are chemicals accessible, like cleaning supplies under the sink.   Or if there is a pet.  See where I’m going?  It’s a normal question.  If people don’t want to answer, they can politely decline or, as was said above, lie.

If they say yes they’re offered information about the Eddie the Eagle program (the NRA child gun safety program). We also used to have information about safes and cards to Clark brothers in Warrenton (where my wife bought my safe)

Also, thank you for reminding me....we ran out of a lot of those pamphlets during COVID.  I need to see if I can get some more

FWIW.....the majority of my employees have their CHPs and carry and shoot.  And we still ask “the question”
View Quote

As well-intentioned as those questions may be, they do not relate in any way to medical diagnosis or treatment. They fall squarely under the “not your lane, none of your business” column.

The medical profession is not the safety police, no matter how much the AAP may crown itself the master of all realms of accident and injury prevention. It’s really quite tiresome, and detracts time and focus from more important discussions about things that actually relate to medicine and the child’s health. The fact that they push this shit to be “standard of practice” and push the narrative that it’s “irresponsible to not ask” is also quite tiresome.

Being interrogated about things that are none of the doctor’s business, as though I am the child, is also irksome. Having to respond with “I’m not answering any of these questions” as though I’m being detained on a traffic stop does not lend itself to creating a good doctor-patient-parent relationship. Lying is a poor option as well - it leads down the rabbit hole of "what else can/should I lie about to the doctor," and the child sees that as well. It can also lead to problems down the road if your medical records are ever scrutinized in litigation, and the lawyer on the other side catches on to the fact that you lied to the doctor about something.

If you’re that concerned about “liability,” just document as a policy the distribution of a handout at every visit, with the AAP talking points about chemicals and pools and not eating the yellow snow. People like me will roll our eyes and toss it, your providers can spend more time practicing medicine instead of engaging in an intrusive quest to fight Darwin, and you won’t lose patients because of non-medical interrogation.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#7]
(double)
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As well-intentioned as those questions may be, they do not relate in any way to medical diagnosis or treatment. They fall squarely under the “not your lane, none of your business” column.

The medical profession is not the safety police, no matter how much the AAP may crown itself the master of all realms of accident and injury prevention. It’s really quite tiresome, and detracts time and focus from more important discussions about things that actually relate to medicine and the child’s health. The fact that they push this shit to be “standard of practice” and push the narrative that it’s “irresponsible to not ask” is also quite tiresome.

Being interrogated about things that are none of the doctor’s business, as though I am the child, is also irksome. Having to respond with “I’m not answering any of these questions” as though I’m being detained on a traffic stop does not lend itself to creating a good doctor-patient-parent relationship. Lying is a poor option as well - it leads down the rabbit hole of "what else can/should I lie about to the doctor," and the child sees that as well. It can also lead to problems down the road if your medical records are ever scrutinized in litigation, and the lawyer on the other side catches on to the fact that you lied to the doctor about something.

If you’re that concerned about “liability,” just document as a policy the distribution of a handout at every visit, with the AAP talking points about chemicals and pools and not eating the yellow snow. People like me will roll our eyes and toss it, your providers can spend more time practicing medicine instead of engaging in an intrusive quest to fight Darwin, and you won’t lose patients because of non-medical interrogation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’re right on all your points and I agree with what you’re saying, except for the fact that it’s not actually well-intentioned at the top level / policy maker level.  

Best case it might appear to be well-intentioned (and most likely that’s the way your local GP sees it) but the reality is it’s more sinister than that.

Unfortunately it’s just one more of the many subtle and not so subtle policies and methods which are designed to socially engineer society to fear guns and eventually voluntarily give up their universal human right, their God-given right, and their Constitutionally protected right to armed self defense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top