Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2020 12:01:28 PM EDT
I'm a Virginia resident, working on the application for a MD permit. The instructions say, "Fingerprints must be submitted by way of an Electronic Fingerprint Processing Center authorized by the Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services. Out of state residents applying for a Handgun Permit must submit electronic fingerprints from a Maryland State Police approved electronic fingerprint processing center. For Electronic Fingerprint Processing Center locations please visit http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/publicservs/fingerprint.shtml."

The site doesn't address the issue of non-residents and whether any place outside of Maryland is approved for this purpose. It generally provides information for anyone applying for something that requires a background check, and the list is composed entirely of government offices and businesses in Maryland.

Driving to MD one time solely to get it done wouldn't be the end of the world, but if it's unnecessary, I'd rather not do it. Anyone know of an alternative the MSP will accept? My prints have been taken multiple times over the years for FBI background checks, but I know some states (mostly CA and the northeast, I think,) take the position that "if we didn't do it, for this purpose (and with a check or money order from you,) it wasn't done."

(I do realize I could try to ask them, I'm just not sure I'll get a timely or accurate response. It's much easier to go in with something you know works than to ask the question.)

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the unfree state of Maryland.

It is not meant to be easy, and you are not meant to carry a gun, here.  

I did the requisite 4 hour course and fingerprints for the right to buy a handgun here in June.

Then I started the process to get CCW in July. Had to get the same fingerprints done at the same place, all over again.

Have submitted bank records for my company, written my personal statement, provided references, and await interview.

If you think MD is shall issue, save your money.

PS, there is so much recent demand for the simple permit to buy a handgun (not carry one, but to buy one) that they stopped issuing the snazzy plastic cards with your license, because that rate-limiting step meant 60 day delays. Neighbor across the street did his a month after mine, and all he gets is an email and a piece of paper to print out.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top