Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2024 5:39:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JThompson]
Need to ship off a Shotgun.
What is everyone using to do this since it appears Fed-Ex and UPS no long accepts from non-FFL folks.
Are you dropping it off to your FFL to ship it off like with a pistol?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I've shipped lord knows how many long guns via USPS Priority/Insured.

Never a problem. Just take reasonable packaging precautions with inside padding, extra wrap or protection on sharp or extended parts that could poke through the box, and plenty of good tape all around the box.

You could even break the SG down so the package isn't so long as to suggest a firearm.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:33:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:
I've shipped lord knows how many long guns via USPS Priority/Insured.

Never a problem. Just take reasonable packaging precautions with inside padding, extra wrap or protection on sharp or extended parts that could poke through the box, and plenty of good tape all around the box.

You could even break the SG down so the package isn't so long as to suggest a firearm.
View Quote

With USPS, don't you need a special type of type and can not use the clear tape?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:14:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brianb860] [#3]
I've used shipmygun.com a few times to create the shipping labels. They're owned by Bud's Gun Shop. Most UPS Stores or FedEx drops (like Staples or Walgreens) won't accept a firearm to ship out, but you can drop it off at a hub. Some pack & ship places will also accept it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:36:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bowhntr6pt] [#4]
Originally Posted By JThompson:

With USPS, don't you need a special type of type and can not use the clear tape?
View Quote

You can use the clear wide packing tape, but I like to use the packing tape that has the reenforcing thread material.

The only tape I was told not to use was the silver duct tape as it interferes with the scanners.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Called Local USP hub they said bring in the box and they give you the tape and sponge to use.

Opted to do that and get the item shipped.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By brianb860:
I've used shipmygun.com a few times to create the shipping labels. They're owned by Bud's Gun Shop. Most UPS Stores or FedEx drops (like Staples or Walgreens) won't accept a firearm to ship out, but you can drop it off at a hub. Some pack & ship places will also accept it.
View Quote

That just creates the label, right?
Technically you aren't the FFL.
How does that work? Seems like you are still taking a risk as if you dropped it off yourself.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JThompson:

That just creates the label, right?
Technically you aren't the FFL.
How does that work? Seems like you are still taking a risk as if you dropped it off yourself.
View Quote

It lets you create the label using their carrier account rates. So it's usually cheaper than doing it on your own unless you have a high volume shipping account. When you're creating the label it asks you who the FFL is on the other side. They take care of confirming the FFL, shipping address, etc. It's been a while since I've used them, but I have used them several times for shipping items sold on GunBroker. I used them a few times when I had my FFL as well because it was cheaper than shipping through my own carrier account.

I'm looking at UPS website now and I see "Shipments containing Firearm Products are accepted for transportation only from shippers who are federally licensed and have an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products." Fedex "Nonlicensees are prohibited from shipping firearms with FedEx."

I wonder how new these changes are. I had to ship something back a manufacturer for warranty work a few months ago and they sent me a pre-paid FedEx label. Shipped it right back to my house when they were done.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:45:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By brianb860:

It lets you create the label using their carrier account rates. So it's usually cheaper than doing it on your own unless you have a high volume shipping account. When you're creating the label it asks you who the FFL is on the other side. They take care of confirming the FFL, shipping address, etc. It's been a while since I've used them, but I have used them several times for shipping items sold on GunBroker. I used them a few times when I had my FFL as well because it was cheaper than shipping through my own carrier account.

I'm looking at UPS website now and I see "Shipments containing Firearm Products are accepted for transportation only from shippers who are federally licensed and have an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products." Fedex "Nonlicensees are prohibited from shipping firearms with FedEx."

I wonder how new these changes are. I had to ship something back a manufacturer for warranty work a few months ago and they sent me a pre-paid FedEx label. Shipped it right back to my house when they were done.

View Quote

Yeah the whole thing is a mess and doesn't make sense.

Technically there isn't any difference than using their "account" to ship it or them sending you a copy of their FFL.
Either way its still a non-FFL person shipping it.

I have to suspect people are just shipping it anyway and taking a risk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top