Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2020 8:42:39 PM EDT
Cottle Farms operates several retail stands throughout the Midlands and Pee Dee. One of them is in Sumter and I have noticed that perennial tent is set up but not manned and no berries.

Cottle's website says their season runs from mid-april though mid-June. There is nothing on their website that says they are not going to operate their satellite retail stands as a result of Kung Flu.

A request for info via their contact page has gone unanswered.

No strawberries this year? That would suck. The ones at the grocery store are out of Florida/Mexico and are gassed to initiate ripening. They're beautiful on the outside...and green on the inside. Yuk.

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Alot of the fields up here are hammered.  One of the ones we always take our boys to has actually stopped you-pick(they were open for about 2 weeks), due to the number of people showing up.  They were actually having to open/close the fields on a daily basis to try and let them ripen up.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The Cottle Farms stand just down the road finally opened today!
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out Dorr Farms in Gable. They’re rolling deep in the red berries.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Just drove by the stand and they're closed. No cars, no product. Nothing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#5]
@ThePontificator

My cousin and his family went to the Cottle Farms off Garner's Ferry the other day and picked strawberries.  He said there were only a handful of other people there.  they gave me some- tasty berries!
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#6]
The places local to me (between the pee dee region and the coast) aren’t allowing “you pick” but they are picking their’s as quick as they sell them, if anyone’s near the Mullins area Atkinson Strawberries have been having them fresh daily (at least m-f) for $13 a gallon
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I ended up getting three pints of FL strawberries at Food Lion for $5. They're not too bad but not particularly great. Between on cereal and desserts they'll likely be gone in a day or two.

Strawberries are also a hit with the dog.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Also as a side note, if you like strawberry shortcake and find some strawberries...pick up a box of the aldi house brand angel food cake. It’s the best not from scratch angel food cake I’ve ever had, around $2 a box and all you need to add is water.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Was on my way to Dorr's in Gable when I noticed that the Cottle Farms stand down the street was open so I got them there instead.

Mmmmmmmmmmm....strawberries.

ETA: that "mini-flat" (gallon?) lasted a whole 3 days.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Since my aforementioned visit it would appear that Cottle Farms has all but abandoned their tent stand in Sumter.

Went to a farmer's market on the campus of USC Sumter this afternoon and got two pints of berries from the Dorr's Farm table. Very disappointing. At least a third were either green or rotten. . Methinks they just picked whatever they had between rainstorms just to get some product on the vendor table. REALLY BAD. I could have bought better berries at Food Lion/Aldi for half the price.

Tomorrow will do a visit to Broughton's U-Pick
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 2:18:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Didn't make it to any "U-Pick" places but I did get some berries at Aldi ($1.85/pint) and at Neighborhood Market ($3.85/qt) and they're pretty damn good.

Local season is about to end pretty soon but blackberries are here.

Blackberry cobbler Mmmmmmmmmmm... homerdrooling.jpg
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also as a side note, if you like strawberry shortcake and find some strawberries...pick up a box of the aldi house brand angel food cake. It’s the best not from scratch angel food cake I’ve ever had, around $2 a box and all you need to add is water.
View Quote

I have checked Aldi for this cake mix 3 times since you posted this. None. No angel food cake mix at other supermarkets, either.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 4:34:47 AM EDT
[#13]
The last of the strawberries in the fridge got mixed with some plain Greek Yogurt and a drizzle of honey and then smashed

Link Posted: 6/7/2020 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

@Johnnyb01

Aldi had those mixes in stock today so I bought one and made it and it makes one HUGE cake that's for sure.

We had a late afternoon dessert of Angel Food Cake, strawberrys, and Turkey Hill French Vanilla ice cream.

BEETUS!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top