Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2018 5:33:51 PM EDT
This picture was posted on a closed Facebook group that I belong to.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/357ipd0apoamvx0/47041016_10156773213474356_6796949186605481984_o%20%281%29.jpg?dl=0
The Ky. Center is located in downtown Louisville. They operate The Brown Theatre on Broadway and Ky. Center on Main St., which houses three live performance theatres. The Ky. Center was created by KRS 153.420 in 1980 and the Board of Directors is appointed by the Governor.
http://www.kentuckycenter.org/
This is an obvious violation of KRS 65.870. I sent off an "Open Records Request" to their CFO, this morning. I'd like to see what kind of policy they have to authorize this sign.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Being in Louisville, I would like to help
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Being in Louisville, I would like to help
View Quote
Great, thanks for the offer. Not much to do until I get the ORR back. It should be no later than Tuesday next week
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Bet this goes something like the Lexington Opera House but with much more resistance since it is LOU.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Bet this goes something like the Lexington Opera House but with much more resistance since it is LOU.
View Quote
I don't understand. How is the Lex. Opera House any different than other places in Ky.? If it isn't, I agree with you. It should go exactly like that. Remember, this is a STATE building. Lou. Metro is not involved. That does not mean that I expect this to go without difficulty, but it is much more similar to Yum! Center than anything else. But these people are going to HATE this.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Could this be something like a private entity renting the YUM center or other public facility? The private entity can ban firearms during their allotted window but the public place can't ban when not being rented?

Playing devils advocate.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#6]
You are right. It WILL work out that way. It has to work out that way. The Opera House and Yum! Center are not unique. Every public place will work out that way, because that is the only solution consistent with Ky. law. Its part of the concealed carry law. KRS 237.110 (17) says:
(17) The owner, business or commercial lessee, or manager of a private business enterprise...........may prohibit persons holding concealed deadly weapon licenses from carrying concealed deadly weapons on the premises and may prohibit employees, not authorized by the employer, holding concealed deadly weapons licenses from carrying concealed deadly weapons on the property of the employer.

The Lex. Opera House, in particular, produces many shows themselves, at least 30% of all that are performed there and a lesser number at the Rupp Arena Complex are self promotions There can be no gun ban for those because the is no "commercial lessee" only the Opera House and Lex. Convention Center itself. There are a few productions at the Yum! Center that are "self promoted" and that is why their website tells people to call the box office to see if guns are banned. Maybe Yes, maybe No. It all depends on who the promoter of the event is. Neither the Yum! Center, Opera House or Rupp can ban guns, but the promotes that use those facilities can. But those promoters are not required to and the public facilities cannot require they do. The whole thing with the Yum! Center got started because of the NRA Convention in 2016. I didn't want a gun ban in place for the portions of the convention being held there. Most of the Convention was held at the State Fairgrounds and at the downtown Convention Center (operated by the Fair Board) and I had already made the Fair Board stop banning guns, a year before. I decided to work on Yum! Center. The KY Center is much more like the Yum! Center because they are both STATE buildings. The Opera House and Rupp are owned by Lexington Convention Center, City/County operation.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the clarification.

I've said it before on here and I'll say it again: Thanks for all the work you do
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:43:03 PM EDT
[#8]
And don't forget, our preemption statute says nothing about PLACES where guns can or can't be carried. It only says WHO can and can't ban them. It lists persons and organizations that are prohibited from regulation guns, not places. Guns could be banned in the Ky. Center for the Performing Arts, but not by the Center's board. It could be done by the General Assembly, but that's very unlikely.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I only meant the Opera House in LEX was difficult to make see the light initially (I seem to recall) but now behaves as state law requires.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, they were. The problem with the Opera House is that it is operated by the Lexington Convention Center. LCC also operates Triangle Park (at the intersections of W. Main, Broadway and Vine St.) and the Rupp Arena Complex which includes the Arena, food court, Heritage Hall and the hotel. All of these places are within 1000 ft. of the property of Sts. Peter and Paul school on Short St. There is a federal law that prohibits possession of a firearm with 1000 ft. of school property. This became a big problem for all of the LCC properties. The Federal law "encourages" local governments to "notify" people of the law's existence. LCC wanted to keep "No Guns" signs on all the buildings (ever though the federal law is equally enforceable outside buildings). There are several exceptions to that law. One of those exceptions is for people with a concealed carry license. It was a long slow argument to get some signage both sides could live with. Every driver that drives passed the Arena on W. Main St. with a gun in the car is in violation of that federal law unless the driver has a Ky. CCDW. Out of state licenses don't count. That law is violated millions of times every day in this country.
The federal law gives no authority to any local government to ban guns and I doubt that any state or city/county official can make an arrest for a violation of a federal law. Now, if a person was arrested for another crime and found to be in possession of a firearm in a school zone, local officials could hold that person for "pickup" by federal authorities. Most federal prosecutors are too busy to fool with such small fry crimes. Anyway, there are still signs up that warn about this but guns are not prohibited in Rupp Arena by LCC or any other local government agency. The only gun bans on those properties come from the promotes of those events. About 30% of the events at the Opera house are promotions of LCC, so there is no gun ban at those events. Across the street at the Arena or the smaller halls downstairs, there are also a lot of events promoted by LCC, but fewer than the Opera House. LCC is very aware that they can't ban guns. When all of this was being argued, I submitted several Open Records Requests for their files. Every time I when to their Administrative Offices to pick up those files, I was open carrying. They buzzed me into the offices, several different people brought me papers, coffee and other drinks. There was never a word said about my gun. I can only guess at the gossip outside that room. I must have made 7 or 8 different trips like that. It also took us some time to convince them that they are not a part of Lex.-Fayette Co. government. If you go to the Opera House website and check for upcoming events, in the past, I can't guarantee the present situation, all of the events promoted by "Broadway Live and Variety Live" were LCC self promotions.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#11]
In response to an Open Records Request to the Louisville Center for the Performing Arts, I got this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nawc7nkgbhzfu64/Firearms%20and%20Public%20Safety%20Q%20and%20A%20%28New%2010-29-18%29.docx.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0lPCkwWX4OLKdd17oMjM6sTYRfl6WOl2CVSquHXQUKyv0lFyYIWTdQZZs

It seems they are aware of the law, just a little sloppy about how they implement it. The Logo at the bottom of the sign makes it look like a Ky. Center policy. In fact, it is probably a policy of the lessee. I'm going to dig into their crap a little more. I just sent them another Open Records Request for the leases from the day the picture was taken. I want to see what they say. There were three different performances that day in three different venues, but the sign was at the main entrance. I want to see if all three lessees had "no guns" policies.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#12]
So I'm friends with one of the night managers for the Center.

Broadway in Louisville has a no weapons policy, which they're gearing up this year for Hamilton. The Louisville Orchestra does not have that same policy, so you shouldn't see signage at their events.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So I'm friends with one of the night managers for the Center.

Broadway in Louisville has a no weapons policy, which they're gearing up this year for Hamilton. The Louisville Orchestra does not have that same policy, so you shouldn't see signage at their events.
View Quote
Except that the venue itself can’t promote such a policy when it’s state owned. Only the people renting it can do so.

Even in Louisville.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Headed to see the Book of Mormon tonite. I will let you know if I see no weapons signs.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Intermission:

No signs that I saw and unless you were packing on your wife’s purse you are GTG. Literally only search these tiny purses, no metal detectors. Less security than a UofL game.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for the clarification.

I've said it before on here and I'll say it again: Thanks for all the work you do
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top