Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2019 2:07:31 PM EDT

@softpoint

I took this photo today. This is located on the door into Rupp Arena from the  pedway from that connects from Victorian Square.

How the hell is Lexington Center designated a School Zone?
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 3:37:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 11:29:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
https://i.ibb.co/ZBmB2RG/D2-C0-FBA1-0986-4-EF8-A75-D-71-DDDCB378-EB.jpg

@softpoint

I took this photo today. This is located on the door into Rupp Arena from the  pedway from that connects from Victorian Square.

How the hell is Lexington Center designated a School Zone?
View Quote

You need to try to keep up with things. This has been the law for over 24 years. The Federal Gun Free School Zone Act of 1994 prohibits the possession of a firearm within 1000' of school property. Just across W. Main St. from the Rupp Arena complex is Sts. Peter and Paul School (the building is actually on Short St. but the property goes all the way to W.Main). Take note that the 1000' radius is from the outside edge of the school PROPERTY, not the school building. The GFSZ has several exceptions. One of those exceptions is for people that hold a concealed carry license issued by the state where the school exists. The signs are meaningless. I have never seen any federal agents searching people for guns at Rupp Arena or around any other school. I don't think a city police officer can enforce a federal law.

The GFSZ Act was first passed in 1990 but was declared to be unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court then a few words were changed and passed a second time in 1994. The courts have upheld this new version of the law. We can thank Joe Biden for this stupidity. This law was introduced by him when he was a Senator.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#4]
What’s funny is they allow gun shows there.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
That's because they can't actually ban them.  As the sign says those "authorized to carry" are exempt.

I suspect they're just using the sign to trick people who don't know the law into disarming.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's because they can't actually ban them.  As the sign says those "authorized to carry" are exempt.

I suspect they're just using the sign to trick people who don't know the law into disarming.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think there are any gun shows at Rupp anymore. RK shows has moved to the Horse Park for their Lexington shows. They claim that they are just "advising" people of the existence of the laws. The entire Rupp Arena complex is operated by the Lexington Convention Center(LCC). LCC is governed by a public board. They are very much aware that they can't ban guns. LCC was one of the first targets of KC3 when the new law was passed in 2012. I have open carried into their administrative offices to view Open Record Requests on many occasions. No one ever said a word about my firearm. They got me office space to read the records, they brought me coffee and bottled water. They were always polite and helpful. They would like to ban guns but know that they can't. They use whatever is available to them (not much)to discourage guns. LCC also operates the Lexington Opera House and Triangle Park. I have open carried into the Opera House twice. Both times I arrived at least an hour early and stood around in the lobby to see what their reaction would be. NOTHING. I had several of the other people that where attending the performance thank me for carrying. Many of them didn't notice until somebody pointed it out to them. One lady said, "We'll be safe here tonight".

If LCC could ban guns, they would, but they can't. The promoters of events at LCC properties can ban guns and LCC encourages them to do so. LCC promotes many events of their own. At those events guns are not banned. When UK plays basketball or any other activity at Rupp, the university bans guns. When High School basketball games are played there(or for any other school function), guns are banned by state law, KRS 527.070. Most people are not certain enough of the gun laws to ignore these signs. Ignorance is a very real threat to personal freedom. The same is true of signs on city and county buildings. Most of those are illegal, but almost nobody knows which are illegal and which are legit, so they just don't carry in any place with signs.

The federal law is meaningless, there is nobody to enforce it. IF a person was to do something to attract the attention of law enforcement, like selling drugs, prostitution, fighting etc and was found to also be in possession of a gun within 1000' of school property a federal prosecutor MIGHT charge them under this law. A local prosecutor can't do it and its just too small a violation for a federal prosecutor to involve himself with unless there is some other reason. I know of several people that were prosecuted and convicted for violating this federal law all of them were originally arrested for something else and then found to be in possession of a gun.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Most of those are illegal, but almost nobody knows which are illegal and which are legit, so they just don't carry in any place with signs.

[/b]
View Quote
yep and my life is too damn busy to keep up with (seek out) all the exceptions.   I guess I can add that to the list....

I agree that simply carrying a firearm is probably too much of nothing for a federal prosecutor to deal with, but I have seen, in other states, local prosecutors make hay out of simply carrying.   I left that state a few years ago.   And if one carries concealed, no one would know anyway (most likely that is).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top