Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2021 9:19:37 PM EDT
Anyone here run Thermals/NVGs etc?

What part of Texas do you eradicate/hunt?

I have a small group of hog and coyote eradicators, who also like to train. We have NVG guns specifically set up for so. Right now we just run NVGs and have a thermal for scanning. Has worked wonders. Haven't stepped up to a dedicated thermal scope yet. Currently in E Texas on ~6-700 acres.

I wonder if anyone ever tried to put together a NVG user meet up. I know of a couple ranges that allow it. Thoughts?

Link Posted: 7/21/2021 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#1]
ETTS does night shoots and some guys from here go fairly regularly

Link Posted: 7/21/2021 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m trying to win a lottery so that I can buy a place where my buddies and I can go anytime that we want to go night hunting.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 3:39:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd be down.  Run just NVGs with a laser.  We mainly hunt out near Junction.  Live in So. TX - Corpus
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Me and two other arfcommers went out to Impact Zone in Monaville (West of Houston) a year or so ago and did a NVG/Thermal try-out thingy. It just sorta impromptu, nothing big. Turned out to be a shitty night weather-wise. rainy/misty/foggy so it was terrible for NV and thermal. It would be fun to put something bigger together. I'm in NW Houston area
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a few thermal scopes that I will be using for hog hunting. I am headed out to the deer lease in Reklaw in the next few days to try them out on the large population of hogs we have on our 420acre lease. I am kind of the opposite of you OP because all I have is thermal's and I have never stepped up to the NV game.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like ETTS has low light hours until 11 PM on August 7.

http://www.ettsgunrange.com/etts-calendar

What time do people normally show up to do the night shooting?

Sunset is at 8:20 PM.
Civil twilight ends - 8:46 PM
Nautical twilight ends - 9:18 PM
Astronomical ends - 9:51 PM

Moon is effectively a new moon (officially 8:50 AM the next morning) so should be very dark.

How is the light pollution out there at night?
Are there a lot of people using white lights?

I know they require everyone to wear two glow sticks of either green or yellow.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 3:18:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Live in San Antonio. Just now starting to hunt in Hondo. It would definitely be a lot of fun to meet up with other members for NV or thermal hangout. I am willing to drive

I use a Pvs14 and full power laser/illuminator for training & hunting

Footage taken just a few days ago of an automatic feeder that the land owner lets me use. Was pleasantly surprised by the $40 game camera that we used, as it took about 240 photos/videos over the course of 3 nights

Attachment Attached File

The main squeeze:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#8]
That would be awesome I do have some night gear but located way down south Mcallen area
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 11:38:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like ETTS has low light hours until 11 PM on August 7.

http://www.ettsgunrange.com/etts-calendar

What time do people normally show up to do the night shooting?

Sunset is at 8:20 PM.
Civil twilight ends - 8:46 PM
Nautical twilight ends - 9:18 PM
Astronomical ends - 9:51 PM

Moon is effectively a new moon (officially 8:50 AM the next morning) so should be very dark.

How is the light pollution out there at night?
Are there a lot of people using white lights?

I know they require everyone to wear two glow sticks of either green or yellow.
View Quote

Thanks for posting this. I checked not more than a week ago and their was nothing showing for night shoots coming up.

It's quite dark out there unlese their is full moon, it's far enough from town that's not a problem.

Their are some who use white lights, depending on who you're shooting with in the bay you end up at. I know myself I never am bothered by someone using white light as part of the nights shooting, just tell people what you are going to do so no one gets blinded looking through their NODS when you go white light on. If your only wanting to use white lights due to not having NODS there are usually some people out there doing that. Prob. more shooting pistols than rifles using white light. I would say most rifle shooters are prob. using NODS and some type of IR aiming device. Probably most suppressed too.

Regarding times people show up, varies but sooner you get there, sooner you can find a bay before they are full, esp. if you don’t know the layout. If you need to zero your equipment  etc. It's easier to do before it gets totally dark. Their is often a group of Arf.com people out there. I have only been able to make it to about half the night shoot offerings at ETTS so not an expert by any means, but the above is from my limited experiences.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 8:05:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting this. I checked not more than a week ago and their was nothing showing for night shoots coming up.

It's quite dark out there unlese their is full moon, it's far enough from town that's not a problem.

Their are some who use white lights, depending on who you're shooting with in the bay you end up at. I know myself I never am bothered by someone using white light as part of the nights shooting, just tell people what you are going to do so no one gets blinded looking through their NODS when you go white light on. If your only wanting to use white lights due to not having NODS there are usually some people out there doing that. Prob. more shooting pistols than rifles using white light. I would say most rifle shooters are prob. using NODS and some type of IR aiming device. Probably most suppressed too.

Regarding times people show up, varies but sooner you get there, sooner you can find a bay before they are full, esp. if you don’t know the layout. If you need to zero your equipment  etc. It's easier to do before it gets totally dark. Their is often a group of Arf.com people out there. I have only been able to make it to about half the night shoot offerings at ETTS so not an expert by any means, but the above is from my limited experiences.
View Quote

Thank you for sharing.

I would generally be looking to avoid white light.

All NODS and actually mostly passive aiming.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Have nods, will travel. I'm about an hour north of Houston.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Post rig!
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 4:14:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Me and two other arfcommers went out to Impact Zone in Monaville (West of Houston) a year or so ago and did a NVG/Thermal try-out thingy. It just sorta impromptu, nothing big. Turned out to be a shitty night weather-wise. rainy/misty/foggy so it was terrible for NV and thermal. It would be fun to put something bigger together. I'm in NW Houston area
View Quote

I’m in N Houston, but I haven’t had a chance to go out at night in a LONG time.

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I and a group of arfcom people regularly go to the ETTS shoots. We usually run some stages with barrels and a barricade to make simple stages using 3-4 steel targets. Almost always involving movement, lots of fun. It gets hard to keep up though if more than about 8 in a bay. It is cool that they let you just show up and set up whatever you want as far as stage design. We will also be there on the 7th??
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Live in San Antonio. Just now starting to hunt in Hondo. It would definitely be a lot of fun to meet up with other members for NV or thermal hangout. I am willing to drive

I use a Pvs14 and full power laser/illuminator for training & hunting

Footage taken just a few days ago of an automatic feeder that the land owner lets me use. Was pleasantly surprised by the $40 game camera that we used, as it took about 240 photos/videos over the course of 3 nights

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/496867/6E392880-6F24-4AC2-B2D3-62F37028F5E8_png-2024640.JPG

The main squeeze:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/496867/B7F4D432-CD1A-460E-9303-E28068BF92E3_jpe-2024641.JPG
View Quote

@French1966 and myself have been discussing this very thing. My schedule is extremely hectic right now and I am available mostly during the weekdays. We are going to try and meet up for a night hike one evening. Eisenhower Park near Camp Bullis is perfect for that. If any other San Antonio Area Members want to get together shoot us a PM.

I am also going to try for a mid-October camping trip in the Smithville area. I can run a basic night vision training course and also some more advanced stuff.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@French1966 and myself have been discussing this very thing. My schedule is extremely hectic right now and I am available mostly during the weekdays. We are going to try and meet up for a night hike one evening. Eisenhower Park near Camp Bullis is perfect for that. If any other San Antonio Area Members want to get together shoot us a PM.

I am also going to try for a mid-October camping trip in the Smithville area. I can run a basic night vision training course and also some more advanced stuff.
View Quote

I would definitely be interested in that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#18]
NE houston here.  Been looking at doing some training with airsoft , not the kids shit but actual room clearing, CQB maybe some under NODs as well. Only issue is I don't have a backyard ...apartment :(    Whenever I do get a yard, or access to one...I'd like to build a mini shoot house that can be changed up ect and work on perishable skills at night.

My wife has family in Weches and I have family land in Uvaldre and Leakey.  In E Tx I've gotten to know a few ranchers that make sure I call them when in town so that I can eradicate some piggies for them. Unfortunately I just don't have the time to head out there as much as id like.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I’m trying to win a lottery so that I can buy a place where my buddies and I can go anytime that we want to go night hunting.
View Quote

I do that now on my ranch in east Texas
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#20]
In south Houston, Pearland. PVS14 WP filmless. Will also travel
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 6:00:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In south Houston, Pearland. PVS14 WP filmless. Will also travel
View Quote

Same gear but in DFW. PVS-14 was delivered today. I need to get familiar with and learn how to use it properly.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 4:53:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Anyone here run Thermals/NVGs etc?

What part of Texas do you eradicate/hunt?

I have a small group of hog and coyote eradicators, who also like to train. We have NVG guns specifically set up for so. Right now we just run NVGs and have a thermal for scanning. Has worked wonders. Haven't stepped up to a dedicated thermal scope yet. Currently in E Texas on ~6-700 acres.

I wonder if anyone ever tried to put together a NVG user meet up. I know of a couple ranges that allow it. Thoughts?

View Quote

@Joethe33

Was looking forward to someone getting this group going. Hopefully it won’t go the way of every other dead end thread …..

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/13/2021 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@Joethe33

Was looking forward to someone getting this group going. Hopefully it won't go the way of every other dead end thread ..

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/496867/525498A1-A1A8-4FF2-B738-906C5FC608B4_jpe-2050765.JPG

View Quote
The thing about hometown events is you just need to post a thread, post a date and time, and see who shows up. Everybody wants to hang out but nobody wants to put in the work to actually schedule an event. Everyone waiting on someone else.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The thing about hometown events is you just need to post a thread, post a date and time, and see who shows up. Everybody wants to hang out but nobody wants to put in the work to actually schedule an event. Everyone waiting on someone else.
View Quote

This +87. Post it and they might come.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He ain't lying,  getting you Arfcomers together is like hearding cats
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put me down as a maybe.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I just sold my PVS30 to a TX guy on the hide but I was thinking about running a different setup, probably thermal.  I'm in Boerne (North San Antonio).  Would love to look through a Trijicon or Hogster before buying one.  My only issue with the PVS30 was the weight. It sucked carrying it around.  

I'm running a couple of suppressed lever actions, a full auto MK12 and just picked up a Vickers MK2.  Hoping to load up some game king rounds for that one soon.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I put up an open invite in the Texas Hometown Forum a couple times over the years and had probably about 5 people show up. Those 5 dudes are solid people.

As a matter of fact, I am planning another camping trip to my family's land south of Smithville mid October. I plan on offering up some NVG training and we will have a 150m steel range set up.

This is an open invite for anyone interested.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 12:39:15 AM EDT
[#30]
I’d be interested in getting together a group in November time frame.

My hunting cadre and I just run a thermal scanner and do NVGs and lasers with moderate success. We generally follow the hansetx hunting windows to great effect as well.

Could possibly do like maybe 6 people max for a hunt but I go frequent enough to maybe fit more folks in. I have a family owned plot near Madisonville, TX but hunt on the neighbors property with permission.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

We generally follow the hanstx hunting windows to great effect as well.

View Quote

What does this mean?  Is there a typo?
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hansetx is someone who runs an online store and hunts pigs for what seems like a living. Every week he posts prime hunting times for hogs and it’s very accurate.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 10:33:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hansetx is someone who runs an online store and hunts pigs for what seems like a living. Every week he posts prime hunting times for hogs and it’s very accurate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Could possibly do like maybe 6 people max for a hunt but I go frequent enough to maybe fit more folks in. I have a family owned plot near Madisonville, TX but hunt on the neighbors property with permission.
View Quote
I too hunt near Madisonville. In fact I ate there for dinner yesterday. Had an incredible meal. Maybe we can get together sometime

Link Posted: 8/15/2021 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That would be awesome I do have some night gear but located way down south Mcallen area
View Quote

@Commando223
You've got a training facility just a few miles south of you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm down in Pearland (South of Houston) and run DTNVGs.  Only been hog hunting with friends, no formal training or out on a shooting range.   Would be fun for a meet up with other Arfcommers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I haven't checked in this thread in a few since I learned what was happening in Afghanistan several days ago. I've been soaking up all the news I can find. The situation is heartbreaking to say the least. Kinda feels like nothing I did mattered and all the locals from the Terps to all the other people that helped us have or will pay the price.

I am still planning on having the camping trip October 4-7 because I need a damn break.

The location is just south of Smithville. If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me with the details.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top