Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2023 1:26:06 PM EDT
Hey gang-

I might have the chance to take a job in Monroe County. I've lived in Hoover, AL and currently live in north central AR, but my wife and I are wanting to get a feel for this area. She's from Coffee Co. originally but doesn't know much about that area. We love it where we are, very low crime. perfect place to raise our two kids. The flip side of the coin is that I have two other kids in FL and am really far from them now, my wife has family in Enterprise, Montgomery and Auburn, and this job would be $20k more than what I currently make.

How are the schools? Crime? Will we die?

Might post in GD too for shenanigans.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey gang-

I might have the chance to take a job in Monroe County. I've lived in Hoover, AL and currently live in north central AR, but my wife and I are wanting to get a feel for this area. She's from Coffee Co. originally but doesn't know much about that area. We love it where we are, very low crime. perfect place to raise our two kids. The flip side of the coin is that I have two other kids in FL and am really far from them now, my wife has family in Enterprise, Montgomery and Auburn, and this job would be $20k more than what I currently make.

How are the schools? Crime? Will we die?

Might post in GD too for shenanigans.
View Quote

Monroe wasn't bad before, not sure about currently.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Monroe wasn't bad before, not sure about currently.
View Quote

Good to hear! Mind if I ask when it wasn't bad? 5, 10, 20 years ago?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Folks were good but being more remote and the south, just the economy (in my mind). Always like Monroeville though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I was born and raised in Clarke County, and currently work there.
As far as schools, Clarke Prep and Jackson Academy are the 1st choices (private), and Jackson High School for public.
Land goes for $2000-$3500 an acre in either county.
Paper mills and forest products are the # 1 employer.
The beaches of the gulf coast are about 2hours away, and major cities/shopping are an hour and a half.
Crime is not a major concern, but is slowly on the rise, along with drugs.
You can live very comfortable on $100k a year.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 12:50:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was born and raised in Clarke County, and currently work there.
As far as schools, Clarke Prep and Jackson Academy are the 1st choices (private), and Jackson High School for public.
Land goes for $2000-$3500 an acre in either county.
Paper mills and forest products are the # 1 employer.
The beaches of the gulf coast are about 2hours away, and major cities/shopping are an hour and a half.
Crime is not a major concern, but is slowly on the rise, along with drugs.
You can live very comfortable on $100k a year.
View Quote

This is great to know. Thank you, sir.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 12:51:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Outstanding! I’d not seen info like this on the area. Thank you for the links.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#8]
You coming in with GP?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top