Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2022 7:42:04 AM EDT
Hey y'all!

I'm retired USAF, currently residing in SC.  100% due to knowing some people in the right places, I'm being headhunted by a .gov contractor to work on military aircraft. I've been missing the military life since I retired back in 2008, and when this job offer fell in my lap, I got really excited.

I just turned down the job of my dreams--aircraft maintenance at Luke AFB.  I had to turn it down because the housing prices in Phoenix are insane and I'd end up with a huge mortgage that I wouldn't be able to pay off until I was in my 80s.

When I sent the email declining the offer, it was like a little piece of my soul died--I didn't expect to get another shot at a chance to re-live my best working days.

The reply I got to my email was 'What about Florida?  Eglin area'.  

A quick Zillow search shows that housing prices are comparable to my area so I'm not going to lose everything that I've invested in my home--it'll just be a ZIP code swap, and I might even be able to afford some upgrades.

I did a few TDYs to the area back in the day but I didn't have much opportunity to go out and explore.  What can you tell me about the Ft Walton Beach/Eglin AFB area?
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Very conservative area.  Live north of I-10 for land/hunting.  South of I-10 for salt water "stuff".  I live across the road (98) from Hurlburt Field (HF).  HF has a great Rifle and Pistol club and you can CC on base but must leave it in your car.  Eglin does not allow CC.  There are only 3 E-W roads which can cause congestion.  They are 98 along the gulf, I-10 north of Eglin and 90 which parallels I-10.  You can get a range pass to hunt/freshwater fish on Eglin from the Jackson Guard.  While on the Jackson Guar site, click on Maps then View PAM.
Blue is water, white is civilian, and every other color is military.  

Eglin AFB is home to: Eglin cantonment, Hurlburt Field (AFSOC), Duke Field (75 SF), Camp Ruder (Ranger swamp training) and several other smaller sites.
Hurlburt and Eglin BXs have guns and ammo.

Wife and I move here in 2014 and have never regretted it.  This part of FL has 4 seasons, but winter is usually short and mild.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info!

I'm looking in the Milton/Crestview area....it's a little bit further than I'd like to commute, but that area seems to have cheaper homes
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Milton is county seat of Santa Rosa County which makes NOLA or Chicago look like corruption free zones.  Crestview is county seat of Okaloosa (my) County.  Relatively corruption free, good land for the price near Holt, Baker, etc.  You can get your driver's license, auto tags, hunting license, etc. at a county office on Eglin, skipping the lines at the off-post DMV.  The traffic coming south from Crestview is good compared to 98.  If you are just looking for a nice house in a nice area, check out Blue Water Bay (Niceville).

In FL you need training to get a CCP.  Your DD214 is all the training you need.  Supposedly vets. get priority.  I completed my paperwork on a Friday and received my CCP the following Wed.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Long story short.  Wife is a NP.  We were in ATL, she kept getting job offers in Bumfuck an said HELL NO!!  Then she got a call about an immediate opening at the Eglin Hospital.  She said hell yes and we hooked up the camper.  6 months later we bought the house, and I began teleworking.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info!

I'm looking in the Milton/Crestview area....it's a little bit further than I'd like to commute, but that area seems to have cheaper homes
View Quote

I live(d) in both. Be very, very aware that 85 is the only (real) north south way to get from either of those locals to Eglin or ft walton. The traffic from 1500-1800 and early am is beyond fucking dumb, like your 17 mile communte to/from crestview will push an hour, also if there's a wreck than your literal standstill done, not gonna get to work or home until its cleared as its a 2 lane each way road. Also crestview crime and housing cost is shooting up alot. Milton is pretty awesome and where we moved to from crestview.

With that said I liked the setup of crestview with grocery stores, gas stations etc. Negatively for some is theres no real sportsbars or late evening open restaurants besides Applebee's though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I live(d) in both. Be very, very aware that 85 is the only (real) north south way to get from either of those locals to Eglin or ft walton. The traffic from 1500-1800 and early am is beyond fucking dumb, like your 17 mile communte to/from crestview will push an hour, also if there's a wreck than your literal standstill done, not gonna get to work or home until its cleared as its a 2 lane each way road. Also crestview crime and housing cost is shooting up alot. Milton is pretty awesome and where we moved to from crestview.

With that said I liked the setup of crestview with grocery stores, gas stations etc. Negatively for some is theres no real sportsbars or late evening open restaurants besides Applebee's though.
View Quote

Blue:  Sounds like SC 6 here.  It's the only direct route from my town to/from Lexington, but there are some back roads if you don't mind going a few miles out of your way.  Unless it's snowing or I have to pick up something that won't fit in a saddlebag, I'm usually riding a motorcycle.  I'm always looking for the long way to/from wherever I'm going.

Red:  Pelion, SC has a couple of mom & pop diners, a decent Mexican restaurant and 2 roadhouse type bars.  I stay away from the bars because their pool tables suck and their customer base is mostly methbillies.   If there's an Applebee's, it sounds like a much larger community than what I'm used to!
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Blue:  Sounds like SC 6 here.  It's the only direct route from my town to/from Lexington, but there are some back roads if you don't mind going a few miles out of your way.  Unless it's snowing or I have to pick up something that won't fit in a saddlebag, I'm usually riding a motorcycle.  I'm always looking for the long way to/from wherever I'm going.

Red:  Pelion, SC has a couple of mom & pop diners, a decent Mexican restaurant and 2 roadhouse type bars.  I stay away from the bars because their pool tables suck and their customer base is mostly methbillies.   If there's an Applebee's, it sounds like a much larger community than what I'm used to!
View Quote

Ehhhhh dont let the Applebee's make you think crestucky is a large community lol...
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I miss Lexington, retired Army in 2001 and we stayed in SC until 2003. At times, we wish we stayed. But family is here in FL and we wanted the kids to grow up around family.

I lived out past White Knoll HS off Platt Springs Road back when that area was first being developed, drove into West Columbia daily for work as the wife skirted around Columbia to work downtown.

I'd say rural areas north of I-10 will mirror Swansea, Red Bank, and the like.

Property prices here are high regardless of where you go, no state income tax.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I miss Lexington, retired Army in 2001 and we stayed in SC until 2003. At times, we wish we stayed. But family is here in FL and we wanted the kids to grow up around family.

I lived out past White Knoll HS off Platt Springs Road back when that area was first being developed, drove into West Columbia daily for work as the wife skirted around Columbia to work downtown.

I'd say rural areas north of I-10 will mirror Swansea, Red Bank, and the like.

Property prices here are high regardless of where you go, no state income tax.
View Quote

Thank you!  You put that into perfect perspective for me---I'll most definitely be looking north of I-10.  I spent about 5 years commuting from Camden to Shaw AFB in Sumter and another 10 years commuting from Camden to Lex....I stayed in Camden so long because despite the commute, the house was almost perfect.  I could shoot/hunt in the back yard, fishing/kayaking less than a mile away, and NO NEIGHBORS.

I prefer small towns and I don't mind a long commute if I don't have to listen to people, sirens and traffic.

As for the property prices--brother, they're up everywhere.  Lex is getting crowded and there's herds of yuppies buying up anything that isn't swamp out here in Pelion.  So far, it looks like property values in Milton/Crestview look comparable to here.

Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:35:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Where specifically is the job location i.e. Eglin AFB, Hurlburt Field, Duke Field, ect?  Recommendations on where to live and pros/cons will hinge on this!  As mentioned above, if the job is on Hurlburt it would suck, a lot, to commute home to Crestview!  If the job is on main base Eglin, living in Niceville is a solid option.  Eglin AFB has some remote range sites that are FAR from main base, and if you'll be working on one of those sites the suggestions will change accordingly.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#11]
It's on Eglin--flightline operations.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's on Eglin--flightline operations.
View Quote

Ok cool that's close to where I'm at.  The short answer is that areas north of I10 such as Baker and Mossy Head are much better for outdoor activities on your own property other than boating.  The cons are your commute home anytime between 4:00-6:30 is going to be demoralizing and that by being so far away you will miss out on much of the social aspects of working on Eglin (e.g. after work beers and cigars at 3rd Planet; weekly Beer, Bourbon, & Cigar nights; several weekly watersports related clubs that do stuff on the bay in Niceville, ect).  The biggest con (for me) of living in Niceville, Destin, or Fort Walton Beach is that I have to drive 49 miles each way to go to an awesome range, which I do twice a month.  Ultimately, of course it boils down to your values and what's important to you, if you want rural living then Mossy Head or similar is a far better choice than Destin!  Good luck and sounds like we'll be seeing you in 2023!
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ok cool that's close to where I'm at.  The short answer is that areas north of I10 such as Baker and Mossy Head are much better for outdoor activities on your own property other than boating.  The cons are your commute home anytime between 4:00-6:30 is going to be demoralizing and that by being so far away you will miss out on much of the social aspects of working on Eglin (e.g. after work beers and cigars at 3rd Planet; weekly Beer, Bourbon, & Cigar nights; several weekly watersports related clubs that do stuff on the bay in Niceville, ect).  The biggest con (for me) of living in Niceville, Destin, or Fort Walton Beach is that I have to drive 49 miles each way to go to an awesome range, which I do twice a month.  Ultimately, of course it boils down to your values and what's important to you, if you want rural living then Mossy Head or similar is a far better choice than Destin!  Good luck and sounds like we'll be seeing you in 2023!
View Quote

And not that its a factor,  but also the bridge going to okaloosa island is going to start its 5 year build cycle this spring.  Gonna be alot more traffic going the back way over mid bay bridge to get to destin or ft walton.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you!  I am hoping and praying that this pans out--this is an opportunity to re-live the happiest parts of my adult life.  Household 6 works from home, so she's on board with moving practically anywhere.  

We're 100% happier in a more rural setting, and neither of us are fans of saltwater.  It's fun to go offshore fishing once or twice/year, but we have zero desire to spend time at the beach.

North of I-10 is where we're concentrating our search as it seems to have more of what we're looking for.  I'll be heading out before HH 6 and getting a cheap apartment for a few months so we'll have plenty of time to find a home that has the features we need.  

We're in our 50s and we want this to be our last move before retiring....it's just the 2 of us, and we don't really need much, but since we plan to be there for at least the next 10 years, we want it to be a place where we can be comfortable and happy.  (That doesn't mean McMansion--we'd be happier in a little brick home on .5 acres in the country than a big house in a subdivision)
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#15]
It's a good area, not a bad place to live, tons of retired mil.
HF has a great Rifle and Pistol club
View Quote

You cannot be serious.

OP, join Element or Altus.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#16]
That's something I hadn't thought to ask about. Are there any clubs/ranges where I can stretch my rifle's legs?  I got into long range shooting a few years ago.  600 is the longest range I have access to now, and with centerfire, it's not the challenge it used to be.

I started shooting 200-400 with my .22s lately to keep things interesting.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Element or Altus are the only decent range facilities within an hour of Eglin main base.  I'm a member at Element as it's closer for me.  Both are excellent.  The Hurlburt Field Range is a nice quick option if you live in FWB or work on Hurlburt e.g. go shoot for 45 minutes during lunch but is very, very small and limited compared to Element or Altus.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's something I hadn't thought to ask about. Are there any clubs/ranges where I can stretch my rifle's legs?  I got into long range shooting a few years ago.  600 is the longest range I have access to now, and with centerfire, it's not the challenge it used to be.

I started shooting 200-400 with my .22s lately to keep things interesting.
View Quote

Element x1000p has nvg shoots and is NFA friendly
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Looking like this move is gonna happen!

I just heard from the company again yesterday and I should have my offer letter and projected start date within a few days.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Congrats and welcome down here
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Moved from Luke AFB area to Eglin AFB area 5 years ago and haven't regretted it for a minute.  Area is very concervative but people tend to mind their own business.   Inshore fishing is amazing, if ya ain't got a boat make a friend that has one .  Baker, Mossyhead, Defuniak, Holt, Laurel Hill are all great little spots with properties hidden off the beaten path.  If ya got kids in sports stick closer to Crestview or Niceville.

Crestview has grown faster than infrastructure has been able to keep up, but the city is trying to catch up.  Traffic can be ugly but only during the commutes.  Recently the city has been hosting events and community minded activities getting everyone together and they've been a big success.  There are a few big road construction projects right now that are a mess but should smooth out traffic flows when they are complete.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Job offer has been accepted and I put in my notice at the current gig.  First day at Eglin is April 17th

I'm taking a $20K pay cut, but I'm getting out from behind the desk, getting out of South Carolina......and I get to work on these again:

Attachment Attached File

I honestly thought that part of my life was gone forever and I'd just be another vet sitting at the VFW/Legion hall.....missing my glory days and drinking cheap beer.  I'm glad I didn't change my screen name to FormerFighterFixer1

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm taking a $20K pay cut, but I'm getting out from behind the desk, getting out of South Carolina
View Quote

How much do you pay in SC income tax every year?  You won't be paying that in FL so the $20K cut might not be so bad.  I made money (in my pocket) when I retired and moved here from GA and stopped paying state tax.  Even though my retired pay is significantly lower than my 40 hr. a week job was paying.

Welcome to Florida fellow gun enthusiast.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#24]
We’re here in the Crestview area, checking out some houses.  Defuniac Springs and Milton have been crossed off the list due to commute time.

Navarre and Niceville are also off the list due to cost.  

We found 4 that we liked and we’ll talk to the realtor on Monday.  

In the meantime, anyone know of any cheap short term rentals?
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Going with no-farther-than Crestview was a good call, working on main base Eglin and living in Milton would be a rough life.  Rental-wise, nothing in particular that I'm aware of .  If you are going to rent in Crestview, try to get as far south as possible (i.e. close to Antioch Rd at 85) as being on the southern edge of Crestview will significantly reduce your commute and frustration.  

If you are able to shift your work hours, e.g. 5am-2pm, that will make a dramatic reduction in your commute time and you'll get back about three hours per week.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Have you looked at Freeport or Miramar Beach?  What’s the good and bad about those areas?
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Freeport is indeed a solid option, Miramar Beach is awesome but based on what OP is looking for probably not a good fit for him.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#28]
OP, if you hunt/freshwater fish, go to: Jackson Guard, create an account, take the online UXO class and buy a pass.  Jackson Guard is the Eglin natural resources division.  There are thousands and thousands of acres of Eglin AFB near Crestview that are open for hunting/fishing/hiking.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ehhhhh dont let the Applebee's make you think crestucky is a large community lol...
View Quote

Just got back from a recon of the area.  I put in an application to rent a place just north of I-10.  Once this house sells, we'll be buying--hopefully on the south side of I-10.

BENLPN--Crestview is easily 10x the size of the town I'm living in now, and 5x the size of the town I lived in for the past 15 years.  It's not a huge city, but it's waaaaaayyyy bigger than I'm used to.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 7:39:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
OP, if you hunt/freshwater fish, go to: Jackson Guard, create an account, take the online UXO class and buy a pass.  Jackson Guard is the Eglin natural resources division.  There are thousands and thousands of acres of Eglin AFB near Crestview that are open for hunting/fishing/hiking.
View Quote

Thank you for the info!  I hunt a little, fish a lot.  Its gonna be great to have that access so close to home.  We passed several Eglin recreation area signs as we drove up and down 85 and we were wondering about them.

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info!

View Quote

The commute I made from Crestiew to Eglin made me hate living there. Crestview is small and many of us call it Methview. Don't be fooled by those who say it isn't all over the city. While there are nice neighbor hoods (all will be mil or retired mil) they are right next to the meth heads. Good thing is the meth heads are moving to fentanyl so hopefully the numbers will dwindle.

Been to Milton a lot....about the same as Crestview

We moved to Panama City in 2021......methheads here also. So we are just counting down the days to move to the woods.

The only thing I miss about the area is all the public land off of highway 90......lots of space to go shoot and do outdoor things. Crestview has the most "hills" for all of Florida.

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been here in my craptastical (temporary) apartment in Crestview for a few weeks now.  Our SC house is under contract and should be sold before Memorial Day.  The offer we put in on a house here has been accepted and we're looking at roughly $40K above our profit from the sale of our house.  We both work so a $40k mortgage isn't a problem.

1) Crestview is HYUUUUGGEEE compared to the town in SC that I left.  It's nice to not have to drive 40 minutes for fast food or for some small item at Lowes.....I'm in a neighborhood well off the main roads, but the traffic noise is still something that I'm gonna have to get used to.

2)  I've met several of my (temporary) neighbors--helped out a guy with a brake job, another with a small roof job, and another neighbor with a lawn mower carb.  I've pretty much established myself as the 'friendly biker guy' and I get lots of waves, smiles and random conversations whenever I'm outside.  (It's nice, but I'm not used to that--something about the really small towns in SC is that anyone who didn't grow up there is regarded with suspicion until they're vetted by the gossip mills.)

3)  Y'all weren't kidding about the stupidity on 85 between 3:00-6:00.  Traffic seems to move nicely until the poorly timed traffic lights coming into Crestview and those cause the backups 5 miles from town. Fortunately, I'm on a swing shift, so I only had to experience that for a week.

4)  Motorcycle riding here is very different than SC.  I'm gonna have to head a lot further north to get to the kind of roads I'm used to--hills, curves, etc.  I did the typical tourist beach ride along 98....stop/go traffic forever, and I couldn't even see the water due to all the hotels and dunes.  I finally found a good spot for a selfie out at Pensacola Beach:

Attachment Attached File

5)  I bought myself a membership to the Element Training Center in Holt.  This is the first time since the mid-90s that I've been able to shoot at 1K yards without having to drive 2.5 hours each direction.  Its also the first time in almost 3 years that I've been able to shoot beyond 600.  It took a few shots to figure out the wind, and I needed an additional 1 MIL of elevation from my previous dope, but I managed to hit the 6" swinger several times  The range is only 14 miles from here, so I will be using it frequently.

Attachment Attached File

6)  The new job is AWESOME!!!!!!  At 53, I didn't think I'd ever be on the flightline again and I was starting to feel like Al Bundy.....missing my glory days and hating my life. Now I'm going home dirty, tired and sore every night, but every time I think about what I'm doing, I can't help but smile and thank God for this opportunity.

Attachment Attached File

Finally, I want to give a big shout out to @Yellowlake--he gave up a few hours of his valuable free time and helped me unload the U-Haul--made my move in sooooo much easier!  
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Element is good people, not the range I'm a member of, but they are still great people.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#34]
I love,shooting at Element. Before I switched units at work, I was shooting there at least once a week. Once I get settled in the new spot, I’ll be there weekly again
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#35]
In Milton here!

Houses are cheaper(or bigger for the price). I’m at NAS Pensacola, Eglin would be a bit far from Milton tho. Crest view is a good option for you for eglin position. I’d avoid highway 98 for sure. I moved away from that mess.

It’s worth it to get a little north, traffic is much better. I avoid the beach traffic unless I’m purposely heading down to the beach on those irregular visits.

If u do end up here be sure to “homestead” and save yourself all those $$$$. Search Florida homesteading for more details. Good luck.
Edit.  Issued  post about coming down. Welcome to FL
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If u do end up here be sure to “homestead” and save yourself all those $$$$. Search Florida homesteading for more details. Good luck.
Edit.  Issued  post about coming down. Welcome to FL
View Quote

Thank you!

I just learned a few things!  Definitely going to look into this homesteading stuff!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top