Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2021 5:12:17 PM EDT
My daughter got her new license and besides the new design the biggest difference is the photo is now black & white instead of color.  Anyone know why they did away with color photos?  I found the DPS announcement online about what changed but it didn't say anything about that.  The new design is kinda neat IMO but the B&W photos look odd.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes mine is so washed out since I have a full white beard. Photo is useless.

Fuckem at least I have the gold logo that I will never use. Yah!

Bigjeep
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I was surprised they did that when I got my new one.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#3]
My brother got his, and he looks like a ghost. lol
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#4]
my company did that.
black and white saves money. printing in color adds up.
So they changed all the color materials to black and white, even for the company branded stuff.
I am betting this is the same thing, though it is odd since it isn't their money.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
my company did that.
black and white saves money. printing in color adds up.
So they changed all the color materials to black and white, even for the company branded stuff.
I am betting this is the same thing, though it is odd since it isn't their money.
View Quote

Nope...

They are using laser engraved photos for security.  They changed the law to remove the word color as a requirement for state id’s a few years back in preparation to this change.

LTC will also be moving to this.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/02/27/texas-unveils-updated-driver-license-design-with-laser-engraving-tamperproof-materials/

https://txhronews.wordpress.com/2017/10/30/texas-drivers-license-photos-no-longer-required-to-be-in-color/
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got my renewed LTC and it's the new design. Looks strange to me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:29:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I renewed my LTC last year and it is black and white.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:41:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nope...

They are using laser engraved photos for security.  They changed the law to remove the word color as a requirement for state id’s a few years back in preparation to this change.

LTC will also be moving to this.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/02/27/texas-unveils-updated-driver-license-design-with-laser-engraving-tamperproof-materials/

https://txhronews.wordpress.com/2017/10/30/texas-drivers-license-photos-no-longer-required-to-be-in-color/
View Quote

Interesting.  Thanks for the links.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I got my new LTC and thought something had happened to my eyes for a second.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Interesting, so do they still take your picture in color and keep it on file in color?

Not all people are going to photograph in B&W well (256 shades of gray) because of differences in skin tone. You may have to really crank up or crank down the contrast to bring out the features.

I'm just saying if it's considered racist to make people get an ID card to vote, how's this gonna go over?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:56:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I took my DL picture in a expensive button down dress shirt & Tie - Very Professional looking (in color).

My New DL picture (the old one) in B&W looks like I'm wearing a dirty T-shirt with barf down the front...   CLASSY!!!  

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:35:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep, both my renewed LTC and DL pics turned out terrible. DL pic is especially useless if you ask me and I suspect it will cause problems where needed for validation.  I look like a ghost poking my face partially through the card... You can't even see my whole face.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#13]
B/W is easier to share/scan between government agencies for facial recognition.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Color is racist.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:06:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks like in California they still use color and you can wear a mask .

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/california-womans-new-id-photo-wearing-mask

If the drivers license office was not a level in hell I would go try this just for fun but I would be dressed as a cowboy / bandit with a bandana covering my face .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top