Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2024 12:35:23 PM EDT
The new Llano gun range opened Saturday Feb 10th even though we got 1.25" of rain during the day. We are basically located in the same area at the Llano citizen collection station and recycle center, ( Llano dump),1933 HWY 16 north, just north of Llano. The difference is that you will take a left at the fork in the road just before the dump attendant's shack. Look for the orange sign.
 The new range is expanded with a concrete floored bays and covered with a tin roof. The pistol side has nice tables and is 7 yards, 15 yards, 25 yards & 50 yards if you're good enough. The rifle side has 9 benches and will be 25, 50, 100, 150 yards. We will have steel targets set up on Saturdays for pistol and at the 50 & 100 for rifle. Shotgun is limited to slug only, (no buckshot or birdshot allowed) either shot into a dedicated berm or a cardboard box you bring for a target. Shotgun will not be shot at our backboards. We do not do the tactical Timmy stuff, we are not set up for it. We still have to add rifle racks and a couple of other details, but we are working on it.
 Tannerite, tracers, bird & buckshot, .50BMG, or rifle caliber full auto are not allowed. Pistol caliber full auto may or may not be allowed, speak with a range officer first. Glass targets are not allowed. If you are caught purposely shooting the wooden 2x4, 4x4 framework you will be thrown out. Note: if you want to, you can bring stuff like apples, oranges, cantaloupes, watermelons for the kids to shot. They get instant gratification when they blow up a cantaloup and the deer get a meal that night.
 Range hours are 8:00am - 3:15pm, Monday, Tuesday, & Thursday - Saturday. We are closed Wednesday, Sunday, and any city, state and federal holidays that the dump is closed.
 Dues are $75.00 a year, Jan 1 - Jan1, that includes you & your spouse, and school age kids that live with you. First responders - police, ems, fire fighters join for free. Current military joins for free. Disabled veterans join for free. School age kids (High school and younger) shoot for free. Non-members can shoot all day for $20.00. Any questions? Post here or e-mail [email protected]
I just wanted to add a big thank you to the city of Llano.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds nice, wish it was closer.

Good job OP.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome!!  I had no idea this was in the works. I'll start that way as soon as the water level recedes.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome!!  I had no idea this was in the works. I'll start that way as soon as the water level recedes.
View Quote

It was a mud pit yesterday. Waiting for the weeds to grow back in the parking lot. We are hoping to get the parking lot chip sealed later this year, or next year. We've just about exhausted our piggy bank for now. Also, we plan on spray foaming the underside of the tin roof to cut down on noise and cut down on radiated heat during the summer.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
A few more pics from my potato phone.

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice!
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 1:27:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Not a criticism, offered solely in curiosity and hopes to be a great useful place to the most people.  Perhaps I've missed it but I couldn't see if this was a kind of public venture being on the dump property, or a separate private organization?  If you're limited by dump rules or other reality, then ignore.  THis is more aspirational advice.

If private and trying to be a profitable venture (i.e., sustainable for the long term), the reason I ask is my pet peeve about range and gun shop hours.  You may have a lot of retired customers but the next generation and potential growth is in young folks and young families.  Those folks are working on work days.  8AM--3:15PM weekdays means maaybe sneaking out for a very quick trip at lunch, and that's not happening with kids.  And it's giving up 5+ hours of shootable time in the summer.

You need to be open when regular folks are not working.  That's weekends (both Saturday and Sunday) and minor holidays.  And at least a couple nights a week until dark.  Yes that's annoying if you're working there... but make up for it by closing on some week days and limiting hours during the normal work day.  So ideally a shop would be open something like 11Am-8PM Thurs-Sunday.  A range also Thurs-Sunday but dawn to dusk depending on season, and later if there's lights.  That's a four-day week.  Plus open Mondays that are holidays.  Have something special to honor the reason for the holiday, but you need to be open.  "I'm off work, what should we do today?"  "Can we go to the range?" "Yes, they're open!"  "Yayyyyy Dad!!"
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not a criticism, offered solely in curiosity and hopes to be a great useful place to the most people.  Perhaps I've missed it but I couldn't see if this was a kind of public venture being on the dump property, or a separate private organization?  If you're limited by dump rules or other reality, then ignore.  THis is more aspirational advice.

If private and trying to be a profitable venture (i.e., sustainable for the long term), the reason I ask is my pet peeve about range and gun shop hours.  You may have a lot of retired customers but the next generation and potential growth is in young folks and young families.  Those folks are working on work days.  8AM--3:15PM weekdays means maaybe sneaking out for a very quick trip at lunch, and that's not happening with kids.  And it's giving up 5+ hours of shootable time in the summer.

You need to be open when regular folks are not working.  That's weekends (both Saturday and Sunday) and minor holidays.  And at least a couple nights a week until dark.  Yes that's annoying if you're working there... but make up for it by closing on some week days and limiting hours during the normal work day.  So ideally a shop would be open something like 11Am-8PM Thurs-Sunday.  A range also Thurs-Sunday but dawn to dusk depending on season, and later if there's lights.  That's a four-day week.  Plus open Mondays that are holidays.  Have something special to honor the reason for the holiday, but you need to be open.  "I'm off work, what should we do today?"  "Can we go to the range?" "Yes, they're open!"  "Yayyyyy Dad!!"
View Quote

We are limited by dump hours and city holidays as we are located on city property.  To access our range you must enter off HWY 16 using the dump's entrance going through a gate then you fork to the left before reaching the dump attendant's shed. We are a 501c3 non-profit, private club open to public membership operating on Llano Municiple property. If we were not a 501c3 this range would not be allowed by the city. Also, we have neither electricity nor water access. The range itself is located on top of an old landfill that is no longer in use.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#8]
^thanks for info.  Hope it works out for all involved, it is a great re-use of space like that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sounds nice, wish it was closer.

Good job OP.
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Good luck with the venture, OP.  I wish it was closer for me, too (I’m in Austin).

Any plans to extend the rifle range to further distances?  Best of the West in Liberty Hill closed years ago and I miss stretching shots to 1000.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe to 160 yards unofficially. We really can't go any further out because of the way we had to lay out the range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top