Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2024 12:20:20 AM EDT
We are moving to the New Braunfels/Cibolo area.  Looking to buy a house in a Non HOA or an HOA that allows backyard chickens (just a couple no roosters).

Everything out there is an HOA it seems or if it's a non HOA it's not a nice house, neighborhood or school district.

Any intel from the local guys on some neighborhoods I should be looking at?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I would totally avoid any HOA they are too controlling.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bradleyswine:
I would totally avoid any HOA they are too controlling.
View Quote

Agreed but 95% of what we have seen there is an HOA and the few we saw without an HOA are either bad school districts or not the nicest house/neighborhood.  

There were 10 houses our realtor found without an HOA out of the hundreds on the market.  Never seen so many HOAs.

Even here in Florida
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I would opt for the one that was not HOA but needed work.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#4]
IMHO, if you cannot afford enough land so you cannot see your neighbors, then you need an HOA these days.  Just don't buy in an HOA where you do not agree with the restrictions.

Try looking into the larger, well established homebuilders that are building (or have recently built) new communities on 1 acre lots.  This seems to be the sweet spot for reasonable HOA restrictions.  

We are NW of Fort Worth, but the developer here has about 6 communities going up, all with similar restrictions that most folks can live with:  Up to 6 chicken, no roosters, no cattle, goats, horses, pigs, no above ground pools, no junk vehicles, yet the are reasonable on allowing RV and Trailer storage, as well as building shops and similar structures.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:34:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: r-2-k-b-a] [#5]
Originally Posted By HEMIsphere05:
We are moving to the New Braunfels/Cibolo area.  Looking to buy a house in a Non HOA or an HOA that allows backyard chickens (just a couple no roosters).

Everything out there is an HOA it seems or if it's a non HOA it's not a nice house, neighborhood or school district.

Any intel from the local guys on some neighborhoods I should be looking at?
View Quote

A " neighborhood " or subdivision, will have an HOA in bexar county.  Its what they do now.  I havent seen a non HOA development go up in years.

You will have to stay out of any city limits or your chicken will be banned by ordinances and of course an HOA unless its a rural area.  But keep in mind, they can just ban the chicken later.

Theres plenty of county area properties for sale. Probably going to be 400-500K. Wilson, Guadalupe County areas will have them but you will not be a resident of Cibolo or New Braunfels and not have a HOA.

I moved last year and I would have rather shot mysellf in the big toe than buy into an HOA.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:09:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Antero] [#6]
My wife and I are also moving to New Braunfels, next spring. We have researched it extensively and visited once so far. What we have found is that there are more non-HOA homes south of Loop 337. There are some really nice neighborhoods around Fischer Park. But note houses there are experiencing some foundation issues. The closer you get to Seguine the more likely you’re going to run into HOAs again.

We are looking to the north west of Loop 337 ourselves, but almost everything in that area is HOA. Oak Run, Meyer Ranch, Copper Ridge. Great areas.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all for the info.  We have seen a few houses with foundation repair.  Realtor said there is a fault there and something about the black soil.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:39:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Sometime in the next few weeks we are gonna go out there and look around.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:52:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mushoot] [#9]
Originally Posted By Antero:
My wife and I are also moving to New Braunfels, next spring. We have researched it extensively and visited once so far. What we have found is that there are more non-HOA homes south of Loop 337. There are some really nice neighborhoods around Fischer Park. But note houses there are experiencing some foundation issues. The closer you get to Seguine the more likely you’re going to run into HOAs again.

We are looking to the north west of Loop 337 ourselves, but almost everything in that area is HOA. Oak Run, Meyer Ranch, Copper Ridge. Great areas.
View Quote

I live off of Countyline Road and Pahymeyer. I do not have a HOA. I live in the Meadow Creek subdivision. Yes, I had to have my foundation stabilized about 4 years ago. So far so good.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mushoot:

I live off of Count Line Road and Pahymeyer. I do not have a HOA. I live in the Meadow Creek subdivision. Yes, I had to have my foundation stabilized about 4 years ago. So far so good.
View Quote

How do you like that part of town?  We are looking at a few houses close by
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#11]
@TKLOL
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:06:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been here almost 16 years. It is nice and quiet except for the kids running around sometimes. These are garden homes but there are larger ones nearby. HEB and WalMart are not far away. I stay off of IH 35 if I can, traffic is really bad.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:32:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Typically east of I35 is black Houston clay and moves like crazy. Foundation issues are a way of life unless specifically planned for.
West of I35 is over the fault line and is ROCK-white limestone. Very stable. This fault line does not move, its old as hell.
New Braunfels allows a certain number of chickens in the backyard. I don't know if the HOA trumps their rules.
New Braunfels used to be my favorite town, but it has grown out of control and is crowded as hell now.
Seguin may be the sleeper area. Used to be a shithole but it is getting better. Lots of troubled kids there and gang type activity.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DougS:
Typically east of I35 is black Houston clay and moves like crazy. Foundation issues are a way of life unless specifically planned for.
West of I35 is over the fault line and is ROCK-white limestone. Very stable. This fault line does not move, its old as hell.
New Braunfels allows a certain number of chickens in the backyard. I don't know if the HOA trumps their rules.
New Braunfels used to be my favorite town, but it has grown out of control and is crowded as hell now.
Seguin may be the sleeper area. Used to be a shithole but it is getting better. Lots of troubled kids there and gang type activity.
View Quote

Thanks all for the insight
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Antero:

View Quote

@Antero

Oak Run is an HOA, but I've got a good friend there and have never heard anything negative FWIW.

Note that very similar houses are going to be 25% more on the West side of town vs. East of 35.

The kids, and where they go to school is a big determinant for us, and we choose to stay in NB ISD vs. Comal (Canyon)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top