Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2021 4:02:19 PM EDT
Just spent over a week in Fl looking at houses and the pricing is insane even for houses that need/haven’t had new roof, ac, hot water tank etc etc

Looking to maybe buy a house in Apopka north of the 436.

I did also see there is Sativa university in the area and appears Fl is allowing commercial grows of cannibus and I’m wondering if that should be a concern.

Link Posted: 3/14/2021 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t know much about the area, but I have a friend that just bought a house there not too long ago. He likes it so far.

Spikes Tactical is in town.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just spent over a week in Fl looking at houses and the pricing is insane even for houses that need/haven't had new roof, ac, hot water tank etc etc

Looking to maybe buy a house in Apopka north of the 436.

I did also see there is Sativa university in the area and appears Fl is allowing commercial grows of cannibus and I'm wondering if that should be a concern.

View Quote
@ybtran
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don’t know much about the area, but I have a friend that just bought a house there not too long ago. He likes it so far.

Spikes Tactical is in town.
View Quote

I visited spikes and they don’t have much of a show room and I wasn’t going to pester them for a thumper

Also Black Aces Tactical is on google maps in the area and BWE isn’t to far
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Definitely stay north of 436 and yes home prices are crazy in central Florida.

If you don't need to be in town I would suggest going north of Apopka.

Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Friends are off 436 near Popeye's.  They have been there for 20 years & me visiting 2-4 times per year. That entire area has been crammed with people. The traffic rise has been nuts.  Will you be working in the area? Have to figure your commute times in.  I have been stuck in traffic at all times. People play bumper cars on I4.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Friends are off 436 near Popeye's.  They have been there for 20 years & me visiting 2-4 times per year. That entire area has been crammed with people. The traffic rise has been nuts.  Will you be working in the area? Have to figure your commute times in.  I have been stuck in traffic at all times. People play bumper cars on I4.
View Quote

I would be working in Maitland and made the commute during rush hour and hitting most of the light it took 30 minutes. I won’t be commuting during rush hour.

I am a bit concerned about the cannabis school in the area and having to smell it all year.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I would be working in Maitland and made the commute during rush hour and hitting most of the light it took 30 minutes. I won’t be commuting during rush hour.

I am a bit concerned about the cannabis school in the area and having to smell it all year.
View Quote

Why not look in the Altamonte Springs, Casselberry or Fern Park area, closer to your work and good neighborhood as well.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why not look in the Altamonte Springs, Casselberry or Fern Park area, closer to your work and good neighborhood as well.
View Quote

I did and most houses have no yard and either will need work now or shortly like roof, ac, hot water tank, pool resurfacing etc etc and they are still pushing $350k+
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#9]
You can go further out toward Mt Dora, Mt Plymouth/Sorrento and still have a reasonable drive with the new 429 extension (451?). With more areas there are pockets of good and pockets of not so good.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You can go further out toward Mt Dora, Mt Plymouth/Sorrento and still have a reasonable drive with the new 429 extension (451?). With more areas there are pockets of good and pockets of not so good.
View Quote

That’s what I’m running into. All the pockets that are a bit sketchy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#11]
This thread is a little old but I can add that I used to live in Apopka a few years ago and worked at the hospital before they moved to their new (much nicer) location. There's a reason the houses there are more affordable, what an absolute shit hole. It made me hate Florida and leave. People of every race were trash and there were always fights in the street or neighborhoods. The Walmart there is a big reason why I saw the light and started to concealed carry every single day instead of just sometimes. I lived very close to Spikes (though I never went in) and just found the area to very off putting. Before when I had roommates and could afford a nicer place I lived in Mt. Dora and it was a completely different experience, people were friendly and the town was quiet. Also liked Tavares and Eustis quite well though it is pretty small. I worked at a sand pit by the (uncompleted at the time) Sullivan Ranch housing community and the area seemed nice as well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a career first responder in Orlando and have worked to protect all neighborhoods within the county including the neighborhood your looking at. I live in polk county if that tells you anything.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#15]
You couldn't pay me to live in apopka. Altamonte, Lake Mary, Longwood, even Sanford (nicer parts) is where I'd look.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:05:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I've lived in Sanford 20 years and love it. Riverfront, Breweries, mall, restaurants it has it all over Apopka. I lived in Apopka in the eighties, it sucked then and hasn't gotten any better.

Lake Mary, Sanford, Mt Dora are all better, by far.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I guess it depends on where you are coming from.  I have been in Florida for almost 3 years now and other than Naples, everything is cheap compared to what I am used to in Seattle.  In Gainesville now but hoping to be further south in the next year.  We have been seeing homes for 350K with in ground pools and a dock on a water way with access to the gulf.  Where I came from that would be a 1.5 million home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top