Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2018 6:11:15 PM EDT
Hey guys, I have an issue I need help with. I filled out the forms for moving my SBR’s back in Feb. Got a call from the ATF in April telling me if I knew that AR’s are not allowed in Chicago. Yes. I did. I then realized I used the wrong address. I told the agent. He said to go ahead and fill out a new one. He was going to reject this one. SBR’s will be kept in Lombard, IL. I fill out the form and send them in. So finally now beginning of June, I get the new form back stamped VIOLATION OF STATE LAW. WtF???
I need help please!! Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
These were done on a trust a few years ago on Fl. I also do have a C&R License.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I have an issue I need help with. I filled out the forms for moving my SBR’s back in Feb. Got a call from the ATF in April telling me if I knew that AR’s are not allowed in Chicago. Yes. I did. I then realized I used the wrong address. I told the agent. He said to go ahead and fill out a new one. He was going to reject this one. SBR’s will be kept in Lombard, IL. I fill out the form and send them in. So finally now beginning of June, I get the new form back stamped VIOLATION OF STATE LAW. WtF???
I need help please!! Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
These were done on a trust a few years ago on Fl. I also do have a C&R License.
View Quote
Do they provide any contact info for inquiries?

Lombard is DuPage County and no AWB or mag restrictions there.   C&R required (or alternatively IIRC, a reenactors membership) for SBR per state law.   Others will know more but the only thing I can think of might be that IL law does not allow a trust to own an SBR but I dont know how that works going from a place that allows to one that does not.

We do have an SBR thread pinned at top of page if you don't get a clear response in this one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 9:56:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok, spoke to someone at the NFA Branch at the ATF. The Form I sent in was correct and all was good, but I did not write in my C&R License number on the form. Even though it does not ask for it. Person said just to write it somewhere on the form.
New forms sent in this morning. I wrote the number on there in two places and I also attached a copy of it. Let's see what happens.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Illinois doesn't allow trusts to own SBR's. SBR's have to be owned by an individual with a C&R.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Illinois doesn't allow trusts to own SBR's. SBR's have to be owned by an individual with a C&R.
View Quote
This.

You may get lucky, but when I called ATF ~18mos ago and asked if I could move one here from MT (sbr in trust) I was told the paperwork would be approved by ATF but denied by IL

Let us know if you get lucky
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok, so planning ahead. What would I need to do to change over from trust to individual? Do I have to go through the whole process? and pay again?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Be prepared for an AWB next year if we get a new governor. Being an NFA item “ it fell off my boat” will not due when they come knocking.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ok, so planning ahead. What would I need to do to change over from trust to individual? Do I have to go through the whole process? and pay again?
View Quote
Yes. You'll have to form 4 them to yourself and pay the man all over again.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 1:25:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Or ...

I heard about a guy who setup a trust in WI and keeps them there ;)
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Not paying again. Will probably just leave the uppers in FL and just build new 16" uppers or just forget AR's in general and build a nice bolt action. I only need 5 years here, then I am out!!!
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#10]
How many are we talking about? I'd think about building some cheap pistol lowers since you're not going to be a long term resident.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not paying again. Will probably just leave the uppers in FL and just build new 16" uppers or just forget AR's in general and build a nice bolt action. I only need 5 years here, then I am out!!!
View Quote
Can you be a resident of one state with an NFA item in a different state?
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Just an update if anyone is interested. Form 5320.20 has been approved!!! So my SBR's are now legal for me to keep in Illinois (not Chicago of course). After 6 months going back and forth, finally I am good to go!
Specifics - SBR under trust in Florida (I already had a C&R License)
Submissions as follows:
1 - 5320.20 filled and submitted via email.

Denied due to address in Chicago (My fault)

2 - Re-submitted with correct address where they will be kept.

Denied due to "Violating state Law"  - The ATF guy I guess thought AR's not allowed in Illinois.

3 - Re-submitted with C&R License after speaking with another agent

Application was lost

4 - Re-submitted after speaking to the head of the department and complained about the issues.

Received approval 4 days later!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Congrats and thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#14]
And after the election the state will pass and the new governor will sign a ban on all such rifles and hi caps. Be prepared to be disappointed in your move.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
And after the election the state will pass and the new governor will sign a ban on all such rifles and hi caps. Be prepared to be disappointed in your move.
View Quote
Vote.   And get others to vote.

Vote for Rauner.
Vote for Harold.
Vote for your pro gun state Senator candidates.
Vote for your pro gun state Representative candidates.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 11:18:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Vote.   And get others to vote.

Vote for Rauner.
Vote for Harold.
Vote for your pro gun state Senator candidates.
Vote for your pro gun state Representative candidates.
View Quote
Yup. Vote for Rauner.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#17]
How many SBR's?

What form (rifle,pistol, other) were they filled out as?

I have an SBR, that lives life as a rifle here.  I also have a pistol (other formed) lower for my 8.5" 300blk.

You could always buy braces for your SBR's until you get things cleared up.....or move to Indiana.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Its only 3 SBR's. a 12.5" 5.56, a 12" 300BLK and a 12" 6.5G.
They are on a Form 1 as rifle lowers.
I don't care for pistol ARs with or without braces. I keep them all in Lombard in a safe. Now all legal, just can't bring them into Chicago.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:24:23 AM EDT
[#19]
And next year at this time we’ll all be felons if we still own these items. Your state Government has big plans for your MSRs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:37:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
And next year at this time we’ll all be felons if we still own these items. Your state Government has big plans for your MSRs.
View Quote
You must be the same person who posts on ILCarry that has been worried sick about a ban and has been selling guns at a loss to cabelas.

At this point it seems like you just gave up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top