Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2022 8:33:01 PM EDT
Hey,

As I was going through Pop's stuff, I found an old john nelson cooper fighting bowie, and it is in need of a bit of help, so I would like to find someone in town who can work on this knife, polish the brass, and sharpen and polish the blade, as it is too nice to sit in a closet and rot...Any help on someone would be great...
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Not in Vegas but might be worth the short drive to Pioche.. @DemascusKnifemaker
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey,

As I was going through Pop's stuff, I found an old john nelson cooper fighting bowie, and it is in need of a bit of help, so I would like to find someone in town who can work on this knife, polish the brass, and sharpen and polish the blade, as it is too nice to sit in a closet and rot...Any help on someone would be great...
View Quote

@lvjeffro

I'd have to see a picture to see if I would consider doing anything.

Quoted:
Not in Vegas but might be worth the short drive to Pioche.. @DemascusKnifemaker
View Quote

@crapshoot you spelled it wrong.

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Basic education from basic hs.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 4:30:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys...I just created a flikr acct so I could post up pics...HERE are some pics of the knife in question...Let me know Demascus if you could or would be able to do anything to clean her up, and timeframe, cost etc...contact is unlvjeffro  at gmail  

Link Posted: 7/7/2022 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#6]
No, college educated. So, I am going to ask for my money back...
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#7]
imo mostly leave it alone.
I would likely just do a little wipe down and maybe a light sharpening.

You could clean up the dings in the brass by removing a bit and get everything bright shiny brand new looking but it would kind of take the cool out of it. The blade could be spiffed up though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I just want to give it a bit of love... sad to have it sit and rot...It's a nice looking knife...
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#9]
That looks to be either made by John Nelson Cooper or have come out of his shop. I think doing anything to it might devalue the knife if it is an original. You would be better served to register at Blade Forums and get a determination on the origin, age and value of the knife.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Hello Damascus, I can't spell, but I try to learn from my Fu&^ ups...

Yes, it is an early John Nelson Cooper, prior to him using his eagle marking or bianchi markings...This Knife is from the late 60's... Well, I will never sell it, but don't want to damage its value either...I will do as you mentioned, thank you for taking your time to look at my knife, and offer me a suggestion of how to proceed...I do appreciate it...
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 1:27:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, I found out quite a bit on this knife...It is an early cooper knife from when he first moved to Burbank california in 1965...Dad's first wife lived in LA, CA while he was in vietnam, so, it fits as to when he got his knife; was sometime between 1965 when JNC moved to Burbank and xmas 1967 when dad got out of the shit for good...Its a fighting bowie, and while it would devalue to clean it up, since I am not worried about the value too much, this thing will be mine until I die; so I am going to just clean it up with some flitz or simichrome, use some leather conditioner on the sheath, and get it a nice edge...Not going to remove the dings and character marks just make it a bit cleaner...

Damascus, thank you!!!!!!

Thanks for sending me over to the blade forums, very nice people over there... Learned a bit about cooper, and have a good bit of info on this blade...Still don't know if it is considered a fighter or a bowie, as JNC had both styles of blades as I have seen in the examples I have found.... Someone mentioned it is a fighting bowie, but had not seen any examples with that exact designation...Out of the many examples I have seen of his blades, I have not seen one quite like mine....I guess that is why they are called custom knives...LOL...Thanks again....
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Glad I could help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top