Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2023 11:35:31 AM EDT
Hey all,

I'm helping my Mom, whose energy plan (Discount Energy) has expired & she now has to "pick a new plan". I think they are trying to take advantage of a "sweet little old lady".

Any recommendations from Houston area Brothers & Sisters for a good affordable rate plan / company?

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used Direct Energy for 5-8 years, and have gotten decent rates out of them.

The main thing to look at is just the cost per KW-hr, and make sure there's not a big start charge.

There are lots of gimmicks like free weekends or nights or leap months, etc., but your KW-hr cost is substantially higher than the free aspect (i.e. free weekends costs more than 2/7th compared to the pay all the time rate).

Link Posted: 5/16/2023 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Energy Ogre has done me right for the last 3 years
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Energy Ogre has done me right for the last 3 years
View Quote

I’ve been using Energy Ogre since it was recommended here years ago.  Currently on a 36 month plan due to rising energy costs.

If you want to shop around check out Power To Choose
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm recommending her on Energy Ogre for a one year plan (for flexibility)

She wants to sign up for a 3 year plan with her current provider, but she is 85 and some "assistance" in her living might be in the future soon (killer 'early termination' fee of nearly $500!).

Thanks to All for your recommendations!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:20:55 AM EDT
[#5]
When I went with energy ogre they told me they recommend one year plans due to current volatility in the marketplace. I'm a happy customer.

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#6]
powertochoose.org
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top