Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2020 12:56:48 PM EDT
Hey All -

Just double checking to make sure nobody knows something I don't on this. We're still clear to target shoot on National Forest land, correct? Obviously all general firearms safety rules apply, anything else anyone knows about?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I was under the impression that you can hunt in them but target shooting was a no no. This is just what I have been told, so I would be interested in the correct answer also.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#2]
This explains the rules, generally.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/visit/know-before-you-go/shooting

The issue is that, in some cases, there can be local restrictions made beyond the scope of that set of rules. I am 90% sure we're ok to target shoot, but just wanted to check and make sure there haven't been any recently added restrictions that I don't know about.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This explains the rules, generally.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/visit/know-before-you-go/shooting

The issue is that, in some cases, there can be local restrictions made beyond the scope of that set of rules. I am 90% sure we're ok to target shoot, but just wanted to check and make sure there haven't been any recently added restrictions that I don't know about.
View Quote
Thanks for the link. Learn something new every day. Guess the rules vary so will probably have to make a phone call.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes you can, as long as you're far enough away (1000' ?) from marked trails, campgrounds, boat landings. I've been doing it for 28 years.

But do NOT leave anything behind, and I do mean anything. No empty cartridge cases, no targets. You will get a littering citation for a single empty .22 cartridge if it can be somehow determined it was yours. If you bring something to use as a target that can shatter, be prepared to pick up every sliver if the ranger comes by. They will ticket for shooting clay birds, unless you can somehow pick up every tiny remnant.

They won't hassle you for target shooting if you're doing it safely, but they are VERY strict on the littering rules. Which, IMO, is a good thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top