Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2020 4:43:30 PM EDT
Another arbitrary decision by Baker, but at least a couple of state legislators appear to be fighting it.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article241467601.html

RALEIGH

The Wake County Sheriff's Office will suspend pistol and conceal-carry permit application until April 30 as demand surges amid the coronavirus outbreak, Sheriff Gerald Baker said Tuesday.

Applications that have already been submitted will continue to be processed, Baker said during a press briefing.

The number of gun permit applications averaged 290 per day last week, compared to roughly 90 per day during the same time period a year ago, officials say.

Legislative critics immediately called the sheriff's action reckless.

In a statement, Sens. Warren Daniel, a Burke County Republican, and Danny Britt, a Robeson County Republican, called on Baker to cancel his order.

"State law requires sheriffs to approve or reject a pistol permit within 14 days," they wrote.

"Sheriff Baker must immediately rescind his illegal decision to halt sale of pistols in Wake County," they wrote.

If Baker doesn't reverse course, they said they would call on their fellow lawmakers to force him to do so.

"People are already suspicious and on edge," they wrote. "It's reckless to illegally suspend their Second Amendment rights just when they need assurance that they can trust government."

This is a breaking news story and will be updated Please return for more details

Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Got an email from GRNC about this, I'm guessing this Sheriff is known for his Anti 2nd Amendment stance?
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 11:42:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Since the sheriff can't effectively do his job, is he resigning?
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:13:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got an email from GRNC about this, I'm guessing this Sheriff is known for his Anti 2nd Amendment stance?
View Quote

Yes.
He is a imbecilic buffoon that was only elected because he was a Democrat. A complete moron could do a better job running the department. Which means he is really, really dumb.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I got an email from FPC stating they were suing over this incident.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't the law say he only has 14 days to approve a PPP and like 90 for a CHP or it's supposed to be automatically approved?

If so go in and put it in anyways, it's not your problem if he isn't accepting it, it was submitted, now he has 14 days or you get your approval or he is breaking the law
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:49:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I honesty feel bad for people that this is effecting. The one day I went into Fuquay Gun I was amazed at how many people who I never would have thought would try to be buying a gun were trying to. On top of that, most thought you literally walked in, paid and left without any paperwork. Gun store workers were having to show them the basics of gun handling (how to load, how to aim, etc), some tried to be as helpful as possible and then would send the people a text with different YouTube videos to watch to try to help them out but the demand was overwhelming.

I’m glad they are suing, from a few brief conversations I’ve had with deputies in this county, he is a prick. I didn’t vote for him, mainly cause of his position regarding illegals.

I do know in Johnston county they are still doing pistol permits as fast as they can get them out, but they have suspended taking any new CCW applications because you have to be fingerprinted. They don’t want to have people coming in and interacting with their staff, but you can do the pistol permit online. Better than nothing I guess
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I do know in Johnston county they are still doing pistol permits as fast as they can get them out, but they have suspended taking any new CCW applications because you have to be fingerprinted. They don’t want to have people coming in and interacting with their staff, but you can do the pistol permit online. Better than nothing I guess
View Quote

I was under the impression that even the purchase permit required fingerprints.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was under the impression that even the purchase permit required fingerprints.
View Quote

@parallecode

Nope, just background check using AOC court records and criminal history check

For CCW they use fingerprints to run through FBI, send paperwork to mental health agencies, and do a thorough check
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Hell yah, I’m hoping this is what pushes this sheriff out of office.

Even anti gunners I know were pissed they couldn’t buy, when I asked why they were I just got a lot of mumbling and then asking what would I recommend
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Got a email from Carolina Gunrunners just now stating that they will be back open in Wake county tomorrow 1 Apr as the county has declared gun stores essential.

CD

Link Posted: 3/31/2020 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hell yah, I’m hoping this is what pushes this sheriff out of office.

Even anti gunners I know were pissed they couldn’t buy, when I asked why they were I just got a lot of mumbling and then asking what would I recommend
View Quote

i hope you recommend to the communist to move to a blue state like NY, NJ, CT where they belong.. since they support all the liberal bs..
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

i hope you recommend to the communist to move to a blue state like NY, NJ, CT where they belong.. since they support all the liberal bs..
View Quote

I try, but I’m still new at my job so can’t really stir the pot too much yet

A lot of them are from NY and Maine, but otherwise good people minus their politics
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, I understand where your coming from..;

But they have to be reminded why they left... People forget why they leave..

The only ones that don't are the ones that lived in the Soviet Union they will never forget..
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I got a feeling he’ll try to do something else to get out of doing this, But will be interesting to see
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Pitt County is not doing new CCW permits.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Any chance of getting rid of the Jim Crow law?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Any chance of getting rid of the Jim Crow law?
View Quote

I certainly hope so.  I feel like there was a failed push to do away with them some years back.  I'm hoping this serves to refute the sheriff's association the next time a possible change of law is brought up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top