Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2018 9:16:15 AM EDT
So, is it a probability that NYS would adopt a MA style FOID ownership scheme?

Nothing firearms related sold to an individual without an FOID?

Has all the hallmarks that would excite a obsessive control disordered individual such as Andrew Cuomo.

Paperwork
Background Investigation
Disincentive for casual owners
Precedent has already been set
Revenue stream (keep poor and diverse folks out)
Track with FID chip
Cross check mental health/criminal/police records

And a whole mess of other demographics that would avail themselves to the administration.

And you get a nifty card with your picture on it :)

License the existing MA system.

Sell it as a guarantee of your rights and safety (if you qualify)
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Okay
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I would not be surprised at anything Albany does to further infringe on the 2A. To use a cliche they will stop at nothing!
I will reiterate as I have many times- hate to say it but the state I was born in and lived in for 49 years is a completely lost cause. I popped smoke 2 1/2 years ago. I suggest all gun owners do the same.
To care for sick dying or advanced age relatives is to my mind the only reason to stay. No job amount of money etc.is a valid excuse at this point.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#3]
To be honest I was always surprised that New York had not put an FOID card system in place decades ago. I attended college in MA back in the 1980's and it was quite a surprise when fellow classmates who were MA natives told me about needing that card to do anything firearm related there. That was a WTF moment for me since no other state in the northeast had that requirement including New York.

You can bet if New York implements that, it will not be cheap, it will be extremely intrusive and might even require proof of liability insurance to get and keep it. But if New York goes that route, so be it. Bring it on. I gave up caring after SAFE was rammed through without due legislative process.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I popped smoke 2 1/2 years ago. I suggest all gun owners do the same. To care for sick, dying or advanced age relatives is to my mind the only reason to stay. No job amount of money etc.is a valid excuse at this point.
View Quote
Sorry, not leaving.  This is my home.  Jet Eckert sums up why.

Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#5]
We will be required to wear a bright yellow bolt face sewn into our jackets...
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or a logo on our arm in the summer.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://media.makeameme.org/created/becausewe-live-here.jpg
View Quote
I understand your position and hope you can continue the good fight, but at some point  I came to realize swimming up stream wasn’t getting anywhere
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Damn straight!!  Ain’t going anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’ll wear it like a badge of honor.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's the 21st century. Get with the program.
You'll be microchipped like the family dog
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, well, that’s not working. Never is gonna work either.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never say never.

It happened once before successful and the second time the south was brought back into the fold..

Now with most of the liberals being in the north..

They always said the south would rise again..
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#13]
We still need a damn like button!
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Never say never.

It happened once before successful and the second time the south was brought back into the fold..

Now with most of the liberals being in the north..

They always said the south would rise again..
View Quote
I concur, the reality is, the Left talks a good game. If shit went south, and bad things started a lot of their bluster would disappear. Never underestimate violence and fear. While the average Joe with a family to look after may not go Gault, there are LOTS of guys out there who have lived their lives, families grown and gone, or never had one, and simply don't give a shit. When pushed too far, they may push back, hard. And once that starts happening, the bluster of the left will disappear to e replaced by fear.

The left may seem to be able to embrace low order violence and BS, I think the right, once pushed too far, has the capability to go high order detonation...
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:16:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Hope 98K guy is right
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We still need a damn like button!
View Quote
Yes! Any form of thumbs up/down, like/not like.
We likely see more activity here. Many times I have nothing to add to a thread but would would definetly acknowledge it one way or another.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes! Any form of thumbs up/down, like/not like.
We likely see more activity here. Many times I have nothing to add to a thread but would would definetly acknowledge it one way or another.
View Quote
^^Two thumbs up to that...^^
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I concur, the reality is, the Left talks a good game. If shit went south, and bad things started a lot of their bluster would disappear. Never underestimate violence and fear. While the average Joe with a family to look after may not go Gault, there are LOTS of guys out there who have lived their lives, families grown and gone, or never had one, and simply don't give a shit. When pushed too far, they may push back, hard. And once that starts happening, the bluster of the left will disappear to e replaced by fear.

The left may seem to be able to embrace low order violence and BS, I think the right, once pushed too far, has the capability to go high order detonation...
View Quote
In the time the un_SAFE Act was being implemented, a local group went around making presentations explaining what it meant...In the meeting I attended, there were several men there of post retirement age that made it abundantly clear that they were ready, willing, and able to pull triggers. Now we can speculate how that would turn out, but once you start putting bodies in bags, EVERYTHING changes.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So, is it a probability that NYS would adopt a MA style FOID ownership scheme?

Nothing firearms related sold to an individual without an FOID?

Has all the hallmarks that would excite a obsessive control disordered individual such as Andrew Cuomo.

Paperwork
Background Investigation
Disincentive for casual owners
Precedent has already been set
Revenue stream (keep poor and diverse folks out)
Track with FID chip
Cross check mental health/criminal/police records

And a whole mess of other demographics that would avail themselves to the administration.

And you get a nifty card with your picture on it :)

License the existing MA system.

Sell it as a guarantee of your rights and safety (if you qualify)
View Quote
The hard won Rights we enjoy today were enumerated in the Bill of Rights for a reason, now there's little point in pontificating our treatise of Government, only that our government should not be demanding its citizens obtain Licenses to exercise a Right, besides it a hurdle that only those compliant with societal Laws is likely to observe. Handguns are a prime example: Albany and the NYC Machine want to do things like research your social media postings to determine if you've ever written something that a bureaucrat takes as "offensive" (which btw: is protected Free Speech) what most that either do not have or have ever tried to obtain a Handgun Licenses fail to realize is the difficulty in obtaining said Licenses, the paper trail and documentation of the guns already in place.
I see your points, and at one time advocated for those having a Licenses be allowed to own >10 round magazines and "Assault Weapons" as you'd already been vetted as a solid citizen... can you say "Elitist"? Besides, when have you ever seen anything the government administers not turn into a cluster fuck?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#20]
NJ has had a FID card for long guns and air rifles since 1968 and separate pistol purchase permit inc air pistols
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
NJ has had a FID card for long guns and air rifles since 1968 and separate pistol purchase permit inc air pistols
View Quote
So does Illinois, and that's their problem.
I wonder to correlation between it and the GCA 0f 1968?
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As I noted earlier, Massachusetts does too. An FOID was needed to buy black powder as well. I once needed some #2 coarse black powder to help out the theatre group at college with a stage prop that used a small quantity of it. A fellow ROTC cadet had an FOID and was able to buy it for me. The FOID seemed normal to me as a young guy but that was before I got to really know the Bill of Rights.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#23]
When we legislate for the speed and security of all, someone  is going to get screwed over:
We're gun people, ostensibly of good character and social status, ie "good citizens" and such a card seems well and good until you factor in those who need/want and are denied for lack there of. You can pick the situation, but it comes down to the same sort of elitism that pitted LEO against non-LEO with the SAFE Act.

"Well I've got a Badge, so I'm exempt"  well, I qualify for one and am not exempt.

Understandably, and what's brought us to where we're at today is the social desire to prevent those that should not from having, problem is how that determination is made.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Slow decay.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top