Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2020 11:56:50 AM EDT
I am in NWA and need a Lawyer who can make sense of the MG laws. Can I as an individual own an AK47 on a form 4 in AR?
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a lawyer, but yes, individuals in Arkansas can own any “transferable” machinegun.  That’s the key word, transferable, made/registered before the 1986 cutoff.  You can also own / build sbs’s, sbr’s, aow’s.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Whats all the mumbo jumbo about callibers in the wording of the AR laws?
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Never seen it but have had plenty of form 1’s and Form 4’s Approved.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Never seen any laws that mention caliber.  But, all NFA items that are legal federally, are legal in the state.  You can also hunt large game with any NFA item, if you're so inclined.

Deer hunting with full-auto, suppressed AK is A-OK!
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am in NWA and need a Lawyer who can make sense of the MG laws. Can I as an individual own an AK47 on a form 4 in AR?
View Quote

Yes you can own a transferable AK here. 100% no issue.

Who/what is giving you issues?
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#6]
what did you put down for a reason to own? read the 2019 change to the MG law and help me find what reason I fit.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:33:29 PM EDT
[#7]
"All lawful purposes"

I think you are overthinking this...
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#8]
To enhance my collection and or For all lawful purposes
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#9]
"All Lawful Purposes"
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 11:20:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I got one approved with "Chicks Dig It".

Didn't work the next time.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I am in Fayetteville half the time.
I know the NFA if you want to meet up.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Here is the most recent Arkansas legal code in regards to weapons, firearms, and NFA:
https://www.dps.arkansas.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Weapons_Possession_and_Use_Code_5-73-101_thru_133_December_2019.pdf

See 5-73-104 and 5-73-112 concerning NFA items in Arkansas.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#13]
So who should I use to do the transfer / who should I avoid?
I searched on NFA tracker and the only 2 buisnesses listed in my area are sturms and kgi
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I had Arky Armory in Springdale do my suppressors.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Sturms is talking to the City of Springdale about selling them his range.  So you might not want to use him for a long term transfer.

If you want to use him, you should call to verify.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks Steve. I called Sturms today and got a recorded message saying they are only open saturday. The shops I have used in the past have closed or gave up their class 3 and just do regular guns now. Its been 11 years since my last transfer.

Quoted:
I had Arky Armory in Springdale do my suppressors.
View Quote

Thanks I will check them out
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 10:44:08 PM EDT
[#17]
What abt THOR or somewhere that has a range that you can shoot it while waiting to get approved?
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What about THOR or somewhere that has a range that you can shoot it while waiting to get approved?
View Quote

Here is a bit of a funny story or not depending on your view of this. I had to leave Thor for using tracers. At that time they allowed tracers and I asked was it ok if I used tracers and got the go ahead from the range command guy. So I load up a belt of 100% tracer and only get half the belt gone and He is singing and dancing next to me saying 4 or 5 not a whole belt. Its been years since I have been there but if you ask them about it they remember.

Should I call them and say hi its the belt of tracers guy and ...............
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:23:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I use A&B in Van Buren.
Are you looking for MGs or suppressors?
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 9:01:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I use A&B in Van Buren.
Are you looking for MGs or suppressors?
View Quote

MG and its more complicated then sbr or aow etc. the MG need to be registered with sec of state to be legal in AR also with the 2019 changes to me it appears to have removed exemptions for private owners. The 2 exemptions that were there are now rescinded. Thats why I need a Lawyer or some one who is competent and knows they ways not some new guy who is doing this for the first time.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

MG and its more complicated then sbr or aow etc. the MG need to be registered with sec of state to be legal in AR also with the 2019 changes to me it appears to have removed exemptions for private owners. The 2 exemptions that were there are now rescinded. Thats why I need a Lawyer or some one who is competent and knows they ways not some new guy who is doing this for the first time.
View Quote

No idea what you are reading or seeing but I’m an individual with MG’s. There are a lot of Arkansans with MGs and I got another one in 2020.  Fill out the F4 and send it.  No extra hoops.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is not correct
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That is not correct
View Quote

A quote from herehttps://www.nationalguntrusts.com/blogs/nfa-gun-trust-atf-information-database-blog/arkansas-state-nfa-rules-and-allowable-nfa-items
Arkansas laws regarding machine guns are confusing, the Arkansas Uniform Machine Gun Act states that it is illegal to possess a machine gun “for an offensive or aggressive purpose”. It is anybody’s guess what that actually means, and is subject to broad interpretation. So possession of a machine gun in Arkansas may be tricky. NOTE: Before attempting to possess a machine gun in Arkansas you should contact an attorney licensed to practice in the state of Arkansas to clarify what the law really m

A quote from here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Arkansas
Automatic weapons must be registered with the Arkansas secretary of state, in addition to being registered under federal law.

A quote from here https://www.google.com/amp/s/americanmilitarynews.com/2019/04/ar-moves-to-lift-machine-gun-ban/amp/
However, even if a collector possesses such federal permits, owning those types of firearms is still against Arkansas law under current legislation.

A quote from herehttps://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2019/mar/28/bill-end-gun-ban-approved-arkansas-house/
people with a federal license can already own the weapons, and that some collectors in Arkansas may be unaware they are violating state law.

A quote from herehttps://www.google.com/amp/s/gun.laws.com/state-gun-laws/arkansas-gun-laws%3famp
However, machine guns are required to be registered under Federal law, as well as with the Secretary of State. Arkansas gun law defines a machine gun as a weapon that can discharge five shots automatically or semi-automatically by a single action on the triggering mechanism.

Before  March 19, 2019 it was a crime under state law to attach a silencer to a firearm
https://www.ammoland.com/2019/05/arkansas-passes-significant-nfa-gun-law-reforms-in-2019/#axzz6fUaUeDGo

So you can see why just saying its ok is not actually showing me the law and exemptions or exclusions
Maybe I am over thinking it but I also read the property forfiture clause. Read the fine print. The tax stamp dose not exemp you from state laws.

Link Posted: 12/2/2020 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

THOR tried to Arock/dox a member here. Use that info as you like.
View Quote

Enough said. I’m in central Ark and nowhere near them and had no clue.  

Noted.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Holy shit man.

This must be illegal.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/89054/Sendra_jpg-1711775.JPG

Multiple mg owners telling you its ok, must be dumber than a newspaper writer that doesnt know which end is the scary end, or wikipedia.
Im not sure you need a mg...
View Quote

That is scary.  I think you shouldn't have it

Edit:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top